Tactical

Thread: Tactical

Default Tactical

This weeks useless Friday thread. I've always wondered and chuckled at people/companies/products using the word "tactical" to give some oemf to something. Take for instance armed response guys. Why is the vehicle called "Tactical response unit" and not just "Response unit" or "Emergency response unit". Then there's tactical boots. I notice there's a tactical pen also. Can i assume the pen has some tactics up its sleeve or does the boots do cool stuff on its own?

Makes me think of the two hyenas in Lion King when the one says "Mufasa" and the others replies "Oeeeee say it again, say it again". "Mufasa". "Oeeeeee". "Tactical response" Oeeeeeeee
    Last edited by George; 2018/10/12 at 01:48 PM.
    Some 4x4 with an offroad caravan

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tactical

The word has a purpose, but is over used, and used by too many who cannot deliver the tactical goods!

Makes me think of a certain 'Raptor' sticker popular on some vehicles
    2011 Isuzu KB 250 D-Teq S/C

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    The word has a purpose, but is over used, and used by too many who cannot deliver the tactical goods!
    Perhaps that is the tactic?

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Its actually an interesting word.

On the ground it implies fast targeted maximized physical intervention.

Yet, to others, it means thinking smart. Normally with the intended outcome of avoiding or minimizing physical intervention.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

I laugh more on those mat black painted vehicles. They are ugly and supposedly convey some "Tactical" image. If you think of putting your hand on the car there is a hand mark before touching.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Good question.

I have, with deductions and conclusions, deduced and concluded that if an object is black, has carbon somewhere it is deemed "tactical." If it has added velcro it is Ninja tactical by default.

Still battling with tactical pants and beards but it leaves something else to ponder.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Being "Tactical" simply means the application of certain tactics to gain a desired outcome or goal.

It could really be applied to a description of almost anything.
    Chess is a tactical game but you can be equally tactical in manoeuvring to secure a desired outcome in negotiations.
    Last edited by Wooky; 2018/10/12 at 02:28 PM.

I do however agree that the term has taken on a whole new meaning when it comes to clothing etc....

Means the same as all the Corolla's in the Cape with a "Turbo" sticker on...or...

Name:  Sunlight Turbo.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  41.5 KB
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (Soon to be my eldest's car)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (SWAMBO's ride)

Similar but different is the word Logistics... Drives me nuts.
    They think that by adding the name Logistics on a truck it makes them sound so smart and bourgeoisie, when in fact they have no clue what the word means. They think it's a synonym for transport ..

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    I laugh more on those mat black painted vehicles. They are ugly and supposedly convey some "Tactical" image...
    Oeeeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by ZookBug View Post
    Similar but different is the word Logistics... Drives me nuts.
    They think that by adding the name Logistics on a truck it makes them sound so smart and bourgeoisie, when in fact they have no clue what the word means. They think it's a synonym for transport ..
    That might be a tactic of theirs.
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    This weeks useless Friday thread. I've always wondered and chuckled at people/companies/products using the word "tactical" to give some oemf to something. Take for instance armed response guys. Why is the vehicle called "Tactical response unit" and not just "Response unit" or "Emergency response unit". Then there's tactical boots. I notice there's a tactical pen also. Can i assume the pen has some tactics up its sleeve or does the boots do cool stuff on its own?

Makes me think of the two hyenas in Lion King when the one says "Mufasa" and the others replies "Oeeeee say it again, say it again". "Mufasa". "Oeeeeee". "Tactical response" Oeeeeeeee
    You have to put 'Tactical' in front of stuff that you want to sell, especially if you are targeting the Mall Ninja and Moms-Basement Keyboard Warriors as your primary clientele.
    Discovery 3 4.0 V6

So then, when something is "Military tested", does it imply some guy wore camo tactical clothing and dropped that light. Boom, approved as being a military tested tactical light. When using that overpriced tactical light remember to also wear you tactical boots and pants otherwise the tactic won't work.
    Last edited by George; 2018/10/12 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    So then, when something is "Military tested", does it imply some guy wore camo tactical clothing and dropped that light. Boom, approved as being a military tested tactical light. When using that overpriced tactical light remember to also wear you tactical boots and pants otherwise the tactic won't work.
    Ah.. so that would also explain how a "koppie sawwe lyf" is tested? By ah uhm.. less than tactical body rubbing it?
    Somewhere in my Land Rover
    Honda Africa Twin
    Honda XR400