Tactical




Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Tactical

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    3,696
    Thanked: 1246

    Default Tactical

    This weeks useless Friday thread. I've always wondered and chuckled at people/companies/products using the word "tactical" to give some oemf to something. Take for instance armed response guys. Why is the vehicle called "Tactical response unit" and not just "Response unit" or "Emergency response unit". Then there's tactical boots. I notice there's a tactical pen also. Can i assume the pen has some tactics up its sleeve or does the boots do cool stuff on its own?

    Makes me think of the two hyenas in Lion King when the one says "Mufasa" and the others replies "Oeeeee say it again, say it again". "Mufasa". "Oeeeeee". "Tactical response" Oeeeeeeee
    Last edited by George; 2018/10/12 at 01:48 PM.
    <insert all your cars, your wife's car, your kids pram model and your underpants size here - apparently it adds value and boosts you ego>


    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Age
    47
    Posts
    15,384
    Thanked: 2702

    Default Re: Tactical

    The word has a purpose, but is over used, and used by too many who cannot deliver the tactical goods!

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pierre van Ryneveld
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,005
    Thanked: 2673

    Default Re: Tactical

    Makes me think of a certain 'Raptor' sticker popular on some vehicles


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    3,696
    Thanked: 1246

    Default Re: Tactical

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    The word has a purpose, but is over used, and used by too many who cannot deliver the tactical goods!
    Perhaps that is the tactic?
    <insert all your cars, your wife's car, your kids pram model and your underpants size here - apparently it adds value and boosts you ego>


    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    62
    Posts
    17,814
    Thanked: 4870

    Default Re: Tactical

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    The word has a purpose, but is over used, and used by too many who cannot deliver the tactical goods!
    Its actually an interesting word.

    On the ground it implies fast targeted maximized physical intervention.

    Yet, to others, it means thinking smart. Normally with the intended outcome of avoiding or minimizing physical intervention.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

    The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    62
    Posts
    982
    Thanked: 1995

    Default Re: Tactical

    I laugh more on those mat black painted vehicles. They are ugly and supposedly convey some "Tactical" image. If you think of putting your hand on the car there is a hand mark before touching.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richardsbay, KZN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,881
    Thanked: 3644

    Default Re: Tactical

    Good question.

    I have, with deductions and conclusions, deduced and concluded that if an object is black, has carbon somewhere it is deemed "tactical." If it has added velcro it is Ninja tactical by default.

    Still battling with tactical pants and beards but it leaves something else to ponder.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    187
    Thanked: 60

    Default Re: Tactical

    Being "Tactical" simply means the application of certain tactics to gain a desired outcome or goal.

    It could really be applied to a description of almost anything.
    Chess is a tactical game but you can be equally tactical in manoeuvring to secure a desired outcome in negotiations.
    Last edited by Wooky; 2018/10/12 at 02:28 PM.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    187
    Thanked: 60

    Default Re: Tactical

    I do however agree that the term has taken on a whole new meaning when it comes to clothing etc....

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    43
    Posts
    969
    Thanked: 454

    Default Re: Tactical

    Means the same as all the Corolla's in the Cape with a "Turbo" sticker on...or...

    Name:  Sunlight Turbo.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  41.5 KB
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (Soon to be my eldest's car)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (SWAMBO's ride)

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    19
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Tactical

    Similar but different is the word Logistics... Drives me nuts.
    They think that by adding the name Logistics on a truck it makes them sound so smart and bourgeoisie, when in fact they have no clue what the word means. They think it's a synonym for transport ..

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    3,696
    Thanked: 1246

    Default Re: Tactical

    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    I laugh more on those mat black painted vehicles. They are ugly and supposedly convey some "Tactical" image...
    Oeeeeeee
    <insert all your cars, your wife's car, your kids pram model and your underpants size here - apparently it adds value and boosts you ego>


    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Wall
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,619
    Thanked: 1446

    Default Re: Tactical

    Quote Originally Posted by ZookBug View Post
    Similar but different is the word Logistics... Drives me nuts.
    They think that by adding the name Logistics on a truck it makes them sound so smart and bourgeoisie, when in fact they have no clue what the word means. They think it's a synonym for transport ..
    That might be a tactic of theirs.
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."




  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Brentwood Park
    Age
    34
    Posts
    879
    Thanked: 301

    Default Re: Tactical

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    This weeks useless Friday thread. I've always wondered and chuckled at people/companies/products using the word "tactical" to give some oemf to something. Take for instance armed response guys. Why is the vehicle called "Tactical response unit" and not just "Response unit" or "Emergency response unit". Then there's tactical boots. I notice there's a tactical pen also. Can i assume the pen has some tactics up its sleeve or does the boots do cool stuff on its own?

    Makes me think of the two hyenas in Lion King when the one says "Mufasa" and the others replies "Oeeeee say it again, say it again". "Mufasa". "Oeeeeee". "Tactical response" Oeeeeeeee
    You have to put 'Tactical' in front of stuff that you want to sell, especially if you are targeting the Mall Ninja and Moms-Basement Keyboard Warriors as your primary clientele.
    Discovery 3 4.0 V6

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    3,696
    Thanked: 1246

    Default Re: Tactical

    So then, when something is "Military tested", does it imply some guy wore camo tactical clothing and dropped that light. Boom, approved as being a military tested tactical light. When using that overpriced tactical light remember to also wear you tactical boots and pants otherwise the tactic won't work.
    Last edited by George; 2018/10/12 at 02:51 PM.
    <insert all your cars, your wife's car, your kids pram model and your underpants size here - apparently it adds value and boosts you ego>


    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,958
    Thanked: 353

    Default Re: Tactical

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    So then, when something is "Military tested", does it imply some guy wore camo tactical clothing and dropped that light. Boom, approved as being a military tested tactical light. When using that overpriced tactical light remember to also wear you tactical boots and pants otherwise the tactic won't work.
    Ah.. so that would also explain how a "koppie sawwe lyf" is tested? By ah uhm.. less than tactical body rubbing it?
    Some car, some bike and two legs

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •