Is China "colonising" SA?? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Is China "colonising" SA??

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    shouldn't we start learning Mandarin and join the winning team?
    Id rather learn German.

Yes!
    Hennie

Pajerosport
    .308 CZ

Just wait till they park some of their aircraft carriers in Durban and CPT harbour...
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8 SW
    1994 Defender TDi 200
    -----------------------------
    Drive it like you stole it!!
    -----------------------------

Seems like Die Rooi Gevaar made it into SA afterall
    2005 Pajero 3.2D LWB Auto
    1999 Pajero 3.5V6 LWB Manual - Deceased

Quote Originally Posted by JohanRoux View Post
    It's definitely going to be interesting to keep an eye on developments over the next 10 years or so.

Historically, when a new regime takes over in an African country, they change laws to suit themselves with little regard for whatever constitution or laws/contracts there may have been before. So in a country like Zambia, if China spends billions building infrastructure, but a new political party comes into power and decides it prefers to trade with the West, what can China really, practically, do about it - they're certainly not going to declare war. I think they are in for a few rude awakenings in their dealings on the continent. And the local Chinese population will then be hung out to dry - an easy target for the populists who start chants about foreigners.

The really interesting part is that China probably understands all this and is will to take a few losses.
    Very interesting Johan. If you were a conspiracy theorist you might say EWC is a fantastic buying opportunity of devalued property for someone who thinks he can control the situation; somehow. The Chinese have massive power and pretty much zero blush gene as regards its use. So how do you secure your newly obtained assets? First prize is shoot it, chop it down, dig it out of the ground and take it home; pretty much happening in Africa. Second is to pay off pliable authorities (pretty much the whole of the ANV "leadership"), police and military with regular payments (offshore in the hated US$ of course) subject to the correct behaviour; maybe like Zim and other parts of Africa. Last might be send someone to give reluctant participants a snotklap which hasn't happened yet as far as I know.

Maybe we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    My tjom also tells me China has more than a hundred million people living in absolute poverty - like in nothing. Like in sleeping in sewer pipes. They call them something like "gwaff" - something like that.
    And China needs to move these people somewhere.

China needs agri land, mine resources and fish. We have all that in abundance. We're in debt. We're corruptable. AND there's the added bonus of having maybe the most strategic "point" in the world - the southern tip of Africa.

And China has time - they plan for a thousand years (literally), we plan for 4/5 years ahead.

So........like he said......." Hell why NOT".....??
    Soon the will modernize our ports to become Chinese naval ports thereby controlling the whole of the Southern waterway, America and Britain need to be looking at this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nigelgeast For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nigelgeast View Post
    Soon the will modernize our ports to become Chinese naval ports thereby controlling the whole of the Southern waterway, America and Britain need to be looking at this.
    ......Most definitely. If I was the Chinese Pres this would be 1st prize to me - control the strategic points. And strategic we sure are.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4