Map updates

Thread: Map updates

Default Map updates

I haven't updated my maps for ages. Time to do this.

Do I just update the maps on the Nuvi?
    Do I buy a new release on T4maps?(Also they talk about it will be for 1 year. Does this mean that the maps will lock up after 1 year?)
    I see that Garmin has a heads on competition with T4maps, for off road tracks.

Or do I buy a new GPS with new maps.
    Last edited by Henris; 2018/10/12 at 04:58 AM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Default Re: Map updates

T4A maps don't lock up after a year. Mine are a couple of years old - still fine for my use.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I haven't updated my maps for ages. Time to do this.

Do I just update the maps on the Nuvi?
    Do I buy a new release on T4maps?(Also they talk about it will be for 1 year. Does this mean that the maps will lock up after 1 year?)
    I see that Garmin has a heads on competition with T4maps, for off road tracks.

Or do I buy a new GPS with new maps.
    If you have a nuvi LM model you have free life time map updates. I have the nuvi 3597 LMT and have just updated my maps this week again for free. Unit is a couple of years old.

Edit: you just download the GarminExpress program onto your computer and then the program does the update. It will most probably update your software as well.
    Last edited by cornel1610; 2018/10/12 at 08:36 AM.

Mine is also a LMT, but the maps don't want to update. They want money. What does update is the software/firmware. Navigation voices, etc.

Are Trappers the only agents for Garmin and T4 maps?
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Try updating the Garmin maps via Basecamp instead of Garmin Express. It seems to work better with some older units. The map updates are supposed to be free.

You can then look at updating the T4 maps. The 1 year thing is for ‘free updates’. So if you purchased map updates, you will have access to all new updates they bring out in the next year. The maps won’t stop working after that year, the updates just won’t be free.

There has been some issues with updating the T4 maps ons some Garmin units, where they suggest using Basecamp, or copying the .img file directly into the MAP folder on the device or SD card.

I don't have any Windows software on any of the computers at home. All Linux. That is why I am looking for an agent.

But, I will make a plan.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

It's really strange that they want money for the maps if you have an LMT model. I have updated my maps numerous times before without issues.

Strange that you are being asked to pay for the free map updates. There are plenty of agents around. I would contact Garmin SA direct, or one of the other bigger agents, like Navworld. Their contact details are on their web pages.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Garmins definition of Lifetime Map Updates ...........

"If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive map updates when and as such updates are made available on the Garmin website during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more."
    Safe Diving

Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

Arrow Re: Map updates

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I don't have any Windows software on any of the computers at home. All Linux. That is why I am looking for an agent.

But, I will make a plan.
    Easy fix would be to just install VirtualBox.

If you use Ubuntu or Debian just do

sudo apt install virtualbox virtualbox-guest-additions-iso

Download the Windows 10 ISO and install it in VirtualBox. You can use it without a license. The features are limited but you can install Garmin Express. You might need to google about the usb connection between your host (linux) and guest (windows on virtualbox), some computers work better than others.

But it works for me and it's convenient for stuff like this that's only supported on windows.