Rumbling wheel bearing but no play - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Rumbling wheel bearing but no play

Liquid Nitrogen or Dry ice is the best way to shrink bearings. Liquid nitrogen around -190deg and dry ice -100deg We fitted bushes and bearings this way with diameters of up to 700mm and buses 1.2m . I doubt if the -12deg of a deep freezer will be enough.

Heating the hub you will you be able to fit a bearing in there that is at room temp. You need to check hub temp with Tempilstik not to disturb metallurgic composition of hub metal while applying heat. Make sure you act very quick heat transfer between hub and bearing can be surprising fast. not nice to have it stuck halfway down the bore. After fitment cool down as quickly as possible to prevent damage to bearing seals and grease.
    Last edited by grips; 2018/10/18 at 09:52 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Default Re: Rumbling wheel bearing but no play

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Liquid Nitrogen or Dry ice is the best way to shrink bearings. Liquid nitrogen around -190deg and dry ice -100deg We fitted bushes and bearings this way with diameters of up to 700mm and buses 1.2m . I doubt if the -12deg of a deep freezer will be enough.

Heating the hub you will you be able to fit a bearing in there that is at room temp. You need to check hub temp with Tempilstik not to disturb metallurgic composition of hub metal while applying heat. Make sure you act very quick heat transfer between hub and bearing can be surprising fast. not nice to have it stuck halfway down the bore. After fitment cool down as quickly as possible to prevent damage to bearing seals and grease.
    I've done this method three times already with success.

Hub gets heated to about 300 celsius
    My thermal camera says bearing is at -40 celsius

Bearing drops in (only just) and then I add water to cool everything and keep grease from overheating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2