Amarok jack

Thread: Amarok jack

Default Amarok jack

Hi Guys;

I recently had a puncture and had to change a tire. I used the jack supplied with my Amarok (from what I could see it was the first time it was used) and found that it could hardly lift the tire off the ground at full extension when using the lift points they indicate in the manual.

What are others experience with this?

Default Re: Amarok jack

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    It only needs to lift high enough so you can get old tyre off and new tyre on.
    Yup that was my expectation as well. But it wasn't going up high enough to even get the flat tire off (couldn't move it by hand)

Your car standard or has a lift kit installed?
    It's actually almost the one thing I hate about most vw's. All the jacks are barely good enough and tends to fall over..
    They are also terrible on the toaureg and I actually keep a small trolley jack in the car rather than use the stock one.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

I bought a trailer wheel cup, drilled a hole and fitted a bolt. See photos.

rear:
    I put jack under axle, no problem.

front:
    Put cup and bolt on jack and position jack just on inside of wheel underneath an existing hole in the suspension.
    Then only a small amount of jacking is required.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170704_1613001.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	505333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170704_1613152.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	505334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170704_1613303.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	505335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170705_1055244.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	505336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170705_1055545.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	505337  
    Herman Meyer.

AG0017 ORRA AG38
    2014 Amarok DC 4Motion Auto ,
    2015-02-03: Bush Lapa Miskewer 394.

The Colts have that very same jack. Thrown mine out and bought a proper hydraulic jack - no problem.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

Quote Originally Posted by hermanm10 View Post
    I bought a trailer wheel cup, drilled a hole and fitted a bolt. See photos.

rear:
    I put jack under axle, no problem.

front:
    Put cup and bolt on jack and position jack just on inside of wheel underneath an existing hole in the suspension.
    Then only a small amount of jacking is required.
    Slim plan, dankie

Haven't tried the standard setup yet. But my previous vehicle was lifted so I bought the plastic base for a high lift jack (bloody expensive!). I transferred it to the Amarok and have used that setup with success. I initially got the high lift base also on the assumption that under adverse conditions, like sand, a larger base would in any case be required.

Please also remember that the standard jack also extends in sections (like a hydrolic jack. So don't stop when you reach the limit of the first extension.

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Haven't tried the standard setup yet. But my previous vehicle was lifted so I bought the plastic base for a high lift jack (bloody expensive!). I transferred it to the Amarok and have used that setup with success. I initially got the high lift base also on the assumption that under adverse conditions, like sand, a larger base would in any case be required.
    A piece of timber about 300-400mm long like a cut-off from a roof beam(2"x4") also works well.Much cheaper than the plastic Hilift base.

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Please also remember that the standard jack also extends in sections (like a hydrolic jack. So don't stop when you reach the limit of the first extension.
    Yes. I noticed that. At a certain point it wouldnt move anymore (and it was looking very unsafe)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    Your car standard or has a lift kit installed?
    You know, I've long since suspected its lifted a bit. Maybe some measurements are in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie Kubu4x4 View Post
    A piece of timber about 300-400mm long like a cut-off from a roof beam(2"x4") also works well.Much cheaper than the plastic Hilift base.
    Indeed, but if/when that piece of wood becomes unstable because of the underlying surface, the jack WILL slip off the smooth surface. Have the T-shirt. The hilift base has a cavity that will prevent this happening. So the question is, how much do you value a limb?

My jack works fine to change wheels even after iíve fitted the susp lift. The cup for the front is a good idea though for not habing to crank that much.

As for looking unsafe, i never work under a vehicle when itís only on a jack. Always use a tresle or at least slide the wheel in underneath the car on its side. So you should never lose a limb even if the jack fail...

Quote Originally Posted by WillemT View Post
    My jack works fine to change wheels even after i’ve fitted the susp lift. The cup for the front is a good idea though for not habing to crank that much.

As for looking unsafe, i never work under a vehicle when it’s only on a jack. Always use a tresle or at least slide the wheel in underneath the car on its side. So you should never lose a limb even if the jack fail...
    Indeed Willem, you are preaching to the converted when it comes to safety where jacks are concerned. BUT, on the Amarok the lifting points are rather deep underneath the vehicle, so often an arm or a hand is underneath the vehicle. At home I use a trolley jack (and trestles :-) ), but out in the bundus with uneven terrain etc.? You better be bloody careful! And you dont have to work "under" a vehicle, you can get hurt whilst changing a tire, if the jack fails!
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2018/10/14 at 11:07 AM.

Indeed Willem, you are preaching to the converted when it comes to safety where jacks are concerned. BUT, on the Amarok the lifting points are rather deep underneath the vehicle, so often an arm or a hand is underneath the vehicle. At home I use a trolley jack (and trestles :-) ), but out in the bundus with uneven terrain etc.? You better be bloody careful! And you dont have to work "under" a vehicle, you can get hurt whilst changing a tire, if the jack fails!
    So, I got the T-shirt yesterday when I shredded a tyre in Dinokeng. Drove on a road marked "high clearance vehicles only"; no trouble at all for the 'rok except that I must have driven over some sharp rocks (even though I was being careful). Sadly I have very road-biased tyres (Bridgestone Duellers that were supplied with the vehicle), but I really thought they would handle the terrain. It really looked quite "tame".

Trying to find the jacking point for the right front tyre from the picture in the manual proved impossible. My first jacking point on the chassis didn't lift the wheel high enough, and with no other options I lifted the wheel by placing the jack under the wishbone, close to the wheel. Fortunately it didn't slip, and I made sure I had no body parts under the vehicle while changing the tyre. I didn't have much room to place a wheel under the vehicle, so it was a very nervous few moments.

I like the idea of the "trailer cup" mentioned in a previous post; will definitely look at doing that, or buying a better jack.

Lesson learnt!

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    So, I got the T-shirt yesterday when I shredded a tyre in Dinokeng. Drove on a road marked "high clearance vehicles only"; no trouble at all for the 'rok except that I must have driven over some sharp rocks (even though I was being careful). Sadly I have very road-biased tyres (Bridgestone Duellers that were supplied with the vehicle), but I really thought they would handle the terrain. It really looked quite "tame".

Trying to find the jacking point for the right front tyre from the picture in the manual proved impossible. My first jacking point on the chassis didn't lift the wheel high enough, and with no other options I lifted the wheel by placing the jack under the wishbone, close to the wheel. Fortunately it didn't slip, and I made sure I had no body parts under the vehicle while changing the tyre. I didn't have much room to place a wheel under the vehicle, so it was a very nervous few moments.

I like the idea of the "trailer cup" mentioned in a previous post; will definitely look at doing that, or buying a better jack.

Lesson learnt!
    You didn't mention if you deflated your tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    You didn't mention if you deflated your tyres
    I didn't because I really thought the terrain wasn't that bad, and it was only a short stretch (maybe 2km) of going off the regular roads. The words "stupid" and "lazy"also spring to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post

Lesson learnt!
    Those Bridgestones from the factory are just crap. I had to replace a front tyre after only a month. I was parked next to a concrete ramp at a factory, and turned slightly too soon while reversing. The tyre had the slightest of marks but that was enough for a puncture. I replaced all 4 with Pirelli Scorpions AT, and never had a problem. Did many 4x4 trails without any issues.

I have used the amarok jack under duress a couple of times, once for the boat and once for the amarok towing the boat. Those bottle jacks in my mind should lift the axle or wheel strut, but not the whole vehicle. Ie jack up the axle/wheel, not the body. Have never actually read what they suggest in terms of placement, but if memory serves there are some little round indentations on the front lower wishbones that would make a good place for the jack.

Like others here, my dad thought me from a young age to never get under a vehicle supported only by a jack and also to always sling the wheels under the chassis rails while you have it on the jack.

Also like others said, perillis are a good replacement tyre for general use. I do mostly roads and then beach work occasionally, so not much rock crawling etc. For this use the perilli's have been great. Sadly pretty close to a new set and I don't like marginal treads when the rainy season is about to be upon us -- I hope!