Road condition (SA side) from Alexanderbaai to Sendelingsdrift

Default Road condition (SA side) from Alexanderbaai to Sendelingsdrift

Hi All,
    what is the condition of the road like on the South African side from Alexanderbaai to Sendelingsdrift?
    Car will be a Jeep GC.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Road condition (SA side) from Alexanderbaai to Sendelingsdrift

I drove the road from sendelingsdrift to Alexander Bay on the 31 December 2018, coming from Namibia. The road from Rosh Pinah to the Namibian side of the border post is mostly tarred with a short distance of a few kilometres on gravel. The process on the Namibian side was quick and effortless even though there was a large convoy, before us, of about 6 vehicles travelling together. My family was out of the Namibian border post within about 15 minutes. We drove down to the pont landing area and waited for the pont which seems to be based on the SA side. Hooted and they came over. The pont ride was brilliant. Short but it was my and my families first time on a pont so I enjoyed it immensely. Once you drive off the pont on the SA side you drive a short distance, maybe about 100-150m and the first building you see is the impressive SANparks building which is where you pay the pont fees. Then proceed to the border post for the obligatory SAPS and Home Affairs checks and stamps. It took even less time than the Namibian side. Friendly is too weak a term for the service that my family received here. That was the good. now for the bad. The road from Sendelingsdrift to Alexander Bay is badly corrugated. It is fully gravel all the way to Alexander Bay. There are new sign posts so the chance of taking the wrong turn is slim. I have been on challenging roads and came out the other end tired but exhilarated at the challenge. This is not such a road. This is not a challenge to the driver as much as its is how I can get my vehicle to the other side without breaking it. I felt every inch of the 95km to Alexander Bay and would not do this road again unless I have a letter from the Minister of Transport advising me that the road had been graded. You cannot enjoy any of the scenery because you are wincing as your vehicle hits corrugation after corrugation for 95 km's. Also note that I have a hilux 4x4 with high clearance and was not towing anything. Give this a miss unless you are deliberately trying to break something or testing the tolerances of your equipment.

I drove the road from sendelingsdrift to Alexander Bay on the 31 December 2018, coming from Namibia. The road from Rosh Pinah to the Namibian side of the border post is mostly tarred with a short distance of a few kilometres on gravel. The process on the Namibian side was quick and effortless even though there was a large convoy, before us, of about 6 vehicles travelling together. My family was out of the Namibian border post within about 15 minutes. We drove down to the pont landing area and waited for the pont which seems to be based on the SA side. Hooted and they came over. The pont ride was brilliant. Short but it was my and my families first time on a pont so I enjoyed it immensely. Once you drive off the pont on the SA side you drive a short distance, maybe about 100-150m and the first building you see is the impressive SANparks building which is where you pay the pont fees. Then proceed to the border post for the obligatory SAPS and Home Affairs checks and stamps. It took even less time than the Namibian side. Friendly is too weak a term for the service that my family received here. That was the good. now for the bad. The road from Sendelingsdrift to Alexander Bay is badly corrugated. It is fully gravel all the way to Alexander Bay. There are new sign posts so the chance of taking the wrong turn is slim. I have been on challenging roads and came out the other end tired but exhilarated at the challenge. This is not such a road. This is not a challenge to the driver as much as its is how I can get my vehicle to the other side without breaking it. I felt every inch of the 95km to Alexander Bay and would not do this road again unless I have a letter from the Minister of Transport advising me that the road had been graded. You cannot enjoy any of the scenery because you are wincing as your vehicle hits corrugation after corrugation for 95 km's. Also note that I have a hilux 4x4 with high clearance and was not towing anything. Give this a miss unless you are deliberately trying to break something or testing the tolerances of your equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Natsu View Post
    Basically a no brainer driving that road.
    Rather drive from Rosh Pinah to Oranjemund. Beautiful new tar road all the way.
    Then cross into RSA at Oranjemund and drive to Alex

Ivan

Is it really that bad. This is the only non passport way to the Richtersveld.
    Going there in March, with Cruiser and Bushlapa.
    what was your tyre pressures ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrie Lombard View Post
    Is it really that bad. This is the only non passport way to the Richtersveld.
    Going there in March, with Cruiser and Bushlapa.
    what was your tyre pressures ?.
    I lowered my tyre pressure to about 1.8bar. Maybe I should have gone lower. Don't get me wrong, if you are driving a cruiser you will make if easily. After all I did with my Hilux. However, I did not enjoy the road at all and could not wait for it to end. If you are crossing over to Namibia, you have the pont ride to look forward to and a dip in the Orange River is like a Mother kiss. It will make everything better. Enjoy. I towed a bush lapa (miskruier) on a previous trip, not on this road though. The bush lapa is truly bullet proof and will also survive this road.

I had a very similar experience. I drove that road to the Richtersveld in June 2017. Natsu describes it exactly as I experienced it. I was driving a Defender and towing a Metalian. Coming back from the Richtersveld 4 days later was a totally different experience because the road had been freshly graded. in fact, they were still busy with the grading.
    Last edited by Ellie2; 2019/01/30 at 11:48 AM.
    Land Rover Defender Puma

Previous ride: Defender 90 tD5

I have done this road in 2014 and have done a video to illustrate the dashcam stability. This was a good test for that. This stretch of road starts at about 2:54 in the video. I was driving a 2012 T6 Ranger Supercab 4x2, loaded with tyre pressures around 2.0.

https://youtu.be/vV0qO5lQAv0
    Last edited by Daniek; 2019/01/30 at 04:33 PM.