Mounting a RTT

Thread: Mounting a RTT

Default Mounting a RTT

Good morning allI need some advice i have just gotten a RTT and i need some advise on the best way to mount it. do's and dont's. i plan to mount it on my pathfinder but not sure on how to go about it. thanks.

Default Re: Mounting a RTT

Following.... (long term to-do list of mine).

Do you have a roof rack already? I know of people who've mounted small RTTs on rails but yeah.... not a great idea.

Mine was fitted on a Frontrunner Roofrack. FR has specific mounting brackets that fit onto the rack. Then it depends on the tent base if you have to drill holes or not. Not a difficult excercise at all.

Touring partner had FR load bars on the roof of his Amarok. Worked just as well.
    Stephan
    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

No still no roof rack just have the tent so far so wanted to check here first what type of rack is best so on. so frustrating looking at it in the garage just want it on now but the standard rails i definitly have no faith in.

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    Mine was fitted on a Frontrunner Roofrack. FR has specific mounting brackets that fit onto the rack. Then it depends on the tent base if you have to drill holes or not. Not a difficult excercise at all.Touring partner had FR load bars on the roof of his Amarok. Worked just as well.
    Thank you i will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardop View Post
    Good morning allI need some advice i have just gotten a RTT and i need some advise on the best way to mount it. do's and dont's. i plan to mount it on my pathfinder but not sure on how to go about it. thanks.
    Give Frontrunner a call. Those guys are very helpful.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RoddieJ For This Useful Post:

Frontrunner make two types of fittings for the RTT and they fit on most roof racks ( my RR is from EasiAwn). I have the manual mounting bracket while FR also make a quick mount bracket for about 3 times the price. The manual bracket is a pain as you have to tighten a 13mm bolt in an area that needs a childs hand size. I don't like the cost of the quick release so I am exploring a different option using a 50 x 50 aluminium bar. This should be done by the end of the week and I'll let you know how it goes.

Why are you not trusting the rails .. get the specs and see what they are good for. I had my Bundutop on a roof rack on my Pajero rails with no problem at all.

What RTT
    what weight
    opening side or rear or front
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardop View Post
    No still no roof rack just have the tent so far so wanted to check here first what type of rack is best so on. so frustrating looking at it in the garage just want it on now but the standard rails i definitly have no faith in.
    Frontrunner has two kind of roofracks - a rail-only version, which has only the frame you require for a RTT, and then the slimline version, which is the normal roofrack.
    They make two kinds of mounts too - fixed (bolt-on), and then the quick-removal, which takes 2 people like 15 seconds to remove. It's pretty pricey though (R3500-odd vs R800)

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Why are you not trusting the rails .. get the specs and see what they are good for. I had my Bundutop on a roof rack on my Pajero rails with no problem at all.

What RTT
    what weight
    opening side or rear or front
    The rails have weight limits. It may hold, but between 2 people and the tent you can easily look at 200kg, which is more than the rails are often rated for.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Frontrunner make two types of fittings for the RTT and they fit on most roof racks ( my RR is from EasiAwn). I have the manual mounting bracket while FR also make a quick mount bracket for about 3 times the price. The manual bracket is a pain as you have to tighten a 13mm bolt in an area that needs a childs hand size. I don't like the cost of the quick release so I am exploring a different option using a 50 x 50 aluminium bar. This should be done by the end of the week and I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks, i am also considering going that route due to the price and should be fairly easy to get it done here on site. if you could let me know how it goes i would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Why are you not trusting the rails .. get the specs and see what they are good for. I had my Bundutop on a roof rack on my Pajero rails with no problem at all.What RTTwhat weightopening side or rear or front
    I was told most stock rails only handle about 150KGs (i am not sure if this is true) and i was reading on a post here that someones brother or brother inlaw had his RTT rip out the anchor bolts on his pathfinder. The weight of the tent im not to sure 50 odd KGs?? and its a front and rear opening tent.

Most rails on the market are rated to (for the pair) about 100 to 120 kg moving weight, where the movement while driving adds extra sideways and up and down movement. Those rails would however easily carry a 300 kg plus weight when the vehicle is stationary. It will not be a problem for carry the weight of even 3 adults sleeping in a tent on two of those rails.

I use 2 home made rails (25 x 25 x 3 mm square tube) mounted on professionally made feet for my tent and have done so for over 10 years, and have had no problems.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

I have a set of these available if anyone is interested:
    https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...-kit-tall.html
    R450 ex Shipping
    Still sealed in packaging.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160514_112251_resized.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	505266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160514_112316_resized.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	254.0 KB 
ID:	505267  
    Fortuner 2.8 GD6
    LC 76 SW (Sold )
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Most rails on the market are rated to (for the pair) about 100 to 120 kg moving weight, where the movement while driving adds extra sideways and up and down movement. Those rails would however easily carry a 300 kg plus weight when the vehicle is stationary. It will not be a problem for carry the weight of even 3 adults sleeping in a tent on two of those rails.I use 2 home made rails (25 x 25 x 3 mm square tube) mounted on professionally made feet for my tent and have done so for over 10 years, and have had no problems.
    Thank you for the information i will try that then much appreciated

Got the feet from African Outback
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rails 1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	364.0 KB 
ID:	505338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rails 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	353.5 KB 
ID:	505339  
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post: