Quote Originally Posted by Ellie2 View Post
    Car scratches are a BUSH thing!
    Even Ellie disagrees with your view

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

LC76V8

Default Re: Polentswa Trail - avoid it if you value your paint job

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    I am growing disillusioned too - but for a different reason.

I believe the OP was really trying to offer well-meaning advice, and for this he virtually gets attacked.

If you disagree, leave it alone.
    If you like your vehicle being scratched and believe it builds character, go out there and do it.
    Some may be grateful for his observations and advice.
    Of course there will be those who agree with him.., But then they should not want to go to these places!
    It is because of this type of thinking that Land Rovers now have 20"wheels..

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

LC76V8

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    The less people I need to see, official or otherwise on trips, the happier I am. ....
    This^^^^^absolutely.

I would be extremely annoyed to see anybody trimming bushes in an arid area, park staff included. These plants grows very slow.

I hope people do heed the warning and avoid the KTP. It is getting too busy and overcrowded. The same for the CKGR. There was a similar post about scratches on a vehicle after a trip there.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2018/10/09 at 10:07 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

In general, I think the OP was trying to give a heads up. For some people scratches is a big no. Not for me personally, but there might be people who do not want scratches on their brand new 4x4. Does not make them soft or unworthy of experiencing nature. It's just their preference.

I think the tone of the response might have been in relation to the last part of the post with the "sent them my bill" comment.

Be that as it may, we are now wiser in relation to the condition of the trail. Maybe someone reads this and decide to get some wrapping done on his new 4x4 prior to doing the trail. Then this forum (through the OP's post) helped to do exactly what it was designed to do, ie share knowledge amongst the 4x4 fraternity.

Edit: Also, lots of comments threw the OP and the poster in post #2 in the same breath. Completely different approaches to my mind and maybe not fair to address them as one...
    Last edited by Groenman; 2018/10/09 at 09:37 AM.
    Stephan
    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    I am growing disillusioned too - but for a different reason.

I believe the OP was really trying to offer well-meaning advice, and for this he virtually gets attacked.

If you disagree, leave it alone.
    If you like your vehicle being scratched and believe it builds character, go out there and do it.
    Some may be grateful for his observations and advice.
    ..No I say ..Stay on the South African side where there is MINIMAL chances of a scratch on the Urban 4x4 in the garage in Suburbia

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

I read through the OP's post twice. hey, school fees, we have all paid them and probably will pay some more in time to come. You chose to do that trail for the adventure of it, the fact that you got some scratches is part and parcel of that adventure. BUT, now you know, you can add that trip to your knowledge base and factor it in for future trips.

I also got the hell scratched out of Pajtu in CKGR this year, but this was because I insisted on exploring the whole park from top to bottom, this was my adventure and I paid accordingly. Next time I am armed with the knowledge of where to book and go. Each trip will add to your experience and will assist you in your future planning.

We all want different things and have differing expectations of reward for effort spent. Your scratches cost you a few bucks, how much was the experience worth, can you put a price on it ?

Me, ..... I am just happy to get out of the office and JHB
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Afdak View Post
    Our long planned Kgalagadi tour finally happened during the last 10 days of Sept 2018.
    Our vehicles were:
    Pajero 3.2 D LWB auto and Jurgens XT 140
    Ford Ranger 3.0 Auto and Wilderness trailer
    LR Disco 3 diesel

We camped at TR, MM and Nossob. The roads connecting these camps were badly corrugated. As a result there was no pleasure in game viewing drives from the camps.

We anticipated that the highlight of the tour would be the Polentswa Trail in the Botswana part of the park.
    What we actually found was:
    - the camp sites were fine
    - the road is 2-spoor sandy tracks - soft on the vehicles and trailers and a pleasure to drive on.
    - nice scenery
    - heard a lion roar at Polentswa 1 - otherwise no cat sightings
    - some interesting dune challenges - seems that previous users had made escape routes when the existing tracks were too badly worn.
    THE BAD NEWS:
    It appears that the route is not often used - no old tyre tracks visible.
    There are thorn bushes/trees either side of the trail and these have not been cut back. Often it was not possible to dodge the thorns as the trees are on both sides of the trail.
    On the last leg of the trip (southerly direction) there were 2 instances where bushes formed 100 meter long lanes too narrow for the vehicles. These are unavoidable obstacles resulting in badly scratched paint and plastic.
    Clearly the route is not maintained. It is a 4x4 route and as such I expect and welcome difficult sections but damaged bodywork is not to be expected.
    Imagine a tourist returning his rented 4x4 with damaged paint.
    I paid R700 for a comprehensive polish. Most of the paint scratches are gone at the cost of a layer of paint.
    However the snorkel and wing mirror covers are permanently scratched.

Overall it was an enjoyable experience

I have informed the Botswana Park Manager via their booking office of the condition of the trail.
    I have not received a response, perhaps because I said I will submit a bill for the repairs.

hey please send me their details or tell them that I will volunteer to go out there and cut back the bushes and thorns for a moderate fee - free access and camping spots, fuel and i will gladly put in the sweat equity to manage the trail

also scratches - scratch the clear coat on your paint thats why its there, you havent lost a layer of paint

I also had my vehicle - SWB paj horrificly scratched in marakele on a 4x4 route - i agree that its not cool but at least offer an alternative instead of a pure complaint - I am up for a tree and brush cutting trip, the houding was great until it was time to sell and it was a black SWB paj - that was a horrendous knock - no matter how fun the trail was

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bar For This Useful Post:

You guys are so easy to provoke... Look at all the responses ..when last did some of you guys have a decent chirp on the forum ...even theatening to leave ... I posted the same chirp a year ago to much the same responses...
    We still talk about how the lion's walked 2 m past our A frame while having supper ...what a highlight
    As said somewhere not enough lions

Well it certainly got interesting

I will raise you four Spotted Hyena
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

I had a few thorn scratches on a recent trip but that goes with the territory in a 4x4.

The original poster has supplied useful info on that trail for anyone contemplating tackling it.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2018/10/09 at 12:30 PM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2