2013 Pajero vs 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit?




Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wichenford, United Kingdom
    Age
    69
    Posts
    253
    Thanked: 30

    Default 2013 Pajero vs 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit?

    We recently bought a 2013 Pajero with about 105k on the clock however although it is good towing, reliable and dependable vehicle I find the seats are uncomfortable and it is heavy on fuel. We get 16l/100km when towing or 10l/100km not towing. Motorway about 9l/100km. Plus it does not have TPMS which is rather important when towing as tyre pressures need to be boosted from 2.2 bar front/ 2.5 rear to 3.2bar front/3.5 rear.
    A 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit CRD 3.0L with 73k on the clock has come available. It has the air suspension which is probably better for towing and a host of other creature comforts that is not found on the 2014 GCs. The air suspension is a bit of a concern as there appears to be issues with the air compressor that is fitted into the 2012 SRT version.
    The Summit will cost more than what we paid for the Shogun originally and we stand to lose about R60000 overall. A bit of a loss so not sure whether to absorb the loss and go for the Summit or to stick with the Pajero. The vehicle is mainly used for towing and seldom used around town as we live in a rural area.
    Any thoughts please.
    2013 Mitsubishi Shogun / Pajero Auto chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    53
    Posts
    20
    Thanked: 16

    Default Re: 2013 Pajero vs 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit?

    Surf,

    I have had 8 Pajeros in my lifetime so far and driven them all to in excess of 200 000 to 250 000 Km's without any problems.

    I've also had 1 Jeep Cherokee....
    The only time the Jeep never cost me money was when it was already broken and couldn't go anywhere to break any further.
    Parts are damn expensive

    Jeep owners may deny it but every time they go out with their Jeeps they ask themselves "How am I going to get home?"

    As with the Pajero there are many other reliable (Japanese) makes out there

    E

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wichenford, United Kingdom
    Age
    69
    Posts
    253
    Thanked: 30

    Default Re: 2013 Pajero vs 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ejay View Post
    Surf,

    I have had 8 Pajeros in my lifetime so far and driven them all to in excess of 200 000 to 250 000 Km's without any problems.

    I've also had 1 Jeep Cherokee....
    The only time the Jeep never cost me money was when it was already broken and couldn't go anywhere to break any further.
    Parts are damn expensive

    Jeep owners may deny it but every time they go out with their Jeeps they ask themselves "How am I going to get home?"

    As with the Pajero there are many other reliable (Japanese) makes out there

    E
    We looked at the Toyota Landcruiser, but for the same price that we paid for the Pajero the LC would be about 4 years older and with a higher mileage.
    2013 Mitsubishi Shogun / Pajero Auto chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    56
    Posts
    30,221
    Thanked: 6333

    Default Re: 2013 Pajero vs 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit?

    We assume you have had a test drive in the Jeep?

    And I've NEVER heard that Pajero seats are uncomfortable.

    Also you must realise that only the Premium TPMS will be useful to you. So make sure that one has the Display and not just the warning light.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    209
    Thanked: 102

    Default Re: 2013 Pajero vs 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit?

    If fuel consumption is a concern then you will not be much better off with the Jeep and definitely not better off with the Land Cruiser (Prado?). TPMS can be added to any vehicle at around R1500 for a 6 wheel monitoring system.

    Trading the Pajero on a Cruiser or a GC will be trading like for like. To be better off in the fuel economy and luxury department you will need to look at smaller capacity diesels e.g Mercedes ML 250cdi or BMW X5 2.0d.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wichenford, United Kingdom
    Age
    69
    Posts
    253
    Thanked: 30

    Default Re: 2013 Pajero vs 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit?

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    We assume you have had a test drive in the Jeep?

    And I've NEVER heard that Pajero seats are uncomfortable.

    Also you must realise that only the Premium TPMS will be useful to you. So make sure that one has the Display and not just the warning light.
    I think all post 2011 Jeeps now have the premium TPMS as it is mandatory. The Pajero gives me terrible backache on long trips. I never had this issue with my 2005 Jeep GC. Besides extra toys in Jeep one of the other concerns is the way the Shogun drinks fuel contrary to the the figures in the brochures by Mitsubishi. I thought my 2005 GC used a lot when towing at 13l/100 towing at 90kph however Shogun at 16+ is a concern. When out and about, not town driving, my old GC averaged about 10/100km. Obviously the newer 2012 GC is a bit more economical.
    2013 Mitsubishi Shogun / Pajero Auto chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wichenford, United Kingdom
    Age
    69
    Posts
    253
    Thanked: 30

    Default Re: 2013 Pajero vs 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    If fuel consumption is a concern then you will not be much better off with the Jeep and definitely not better off with the Land Cruiser (Prado?). TPMS can be added to any vehicle at around R1500 for a 6 wheel monitoring system.

    Trading the Pajero on a Cruiser or a GC will be trading like for like. To be better off in the fuel economy and luxury department you will need to look at smaller capacity diesels e.g Mercedes ML 250cdi or BMW X5 2.0d.
    Thanks Tom. The caravan weighs is at about 2000kg so the towing vehicle needs to be heavier. I think both the ML250 and X5 2.0l may be a bit too light plus the latter underpowered.
    2013 Mitsubishi Shogun / Pajero Auto chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    31
    Posts
    346
    Thanked: 283

    Default Re: 2013 Pajero vs 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit?

    I think you have your heart set on the Jeep, we probably won't be able to convince you not to do it.

    R60000, which you will lose if you do this, is about 3500 Litres of fuel, and do the math, at 3L/100KM, (Or fuel saving with the Jeep), you would have to drive about 117000 KM before you start saving with the Jeep.

    Think about that maybe
    Bmw 2007 320d MSport (For a bit of speed)
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    209
    Thanked: 102

    Default Re: 2013 Pajero vs 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit?

    2000kg is a heavy bugger, then you do need something powerful! Since you were happy with your previous GC it should be easy to go back to a Jeep as you already know what to expect.

    Can the Jeep do 6 wheel tyre monitoring? I tow a caravan myself and I believe the caravan tyre pressure is more important than that of the tow vehicle especially on such a heavy caravan.
    Last edited by Tom13; 2018/10/08 at 02:09 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wichenford, United Kingdom
    Age
    69
    Posts
    253
    Thanked: 30

    Default Re: 2013 Pajero vs 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    I think you have your heart set on the Jeep, we probably won't be able to convince you not to do it.

    R60000, which you will lose if you do this, is about 3500 Litres of fuel, and do the math, at 3L/100KM, (Or fuel saving with the Jeep), you would have to drive about 117000 KM before you start saving with the Jeep.

    Think about that maybe
    I do like the Jeep very much however the concern here is the Shogun not as comfortable however R60000 is a lot of money down the drain so trying to think with my head instead of my heart. Head says Shogun for reliability & durability. Heart says Jeep for comfort however air suspension is a concern plus just found out that Jeep has keyless entry which is something I am not very keen on as too many thefts of vehicles with keyless entry.
    2013 Mitsubishi Shogun / Pajero Auto chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wichenford, United Kingdom
    Age
    69
    Posts
    253
    Thanked: 30

    Default Re: 2013 Pajero vs 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    2000kg is a heavy bugger, then you do need something powerful! Since you were happy with your previous GC it should be easy to go back to a Jeep as you already know what to expect.

    Can the Jeep do 6 wheel tyre monitoring? I tow a caravan myself and I believe the caravan tyre pressure is more important than that of the tow vehicle especially on such a heavy caravan.
    The Jeep can monitor the 4 tyres and send a warning only about low pressure in the spare tyre. The caravan tyre pressure is 3.3 bar and we have an additional Tyrepal TMPS which monitors the tyre pressure on the 4 caravan wheels. For about R2000 I can buy 4 extra sensors and set it up to monitor the tyre pressures on the Shogun and also the caravan.
    2013 Mitsubishi Shogun / Pajero Auto chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Springs
    Age
    57
    Posts
    384
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: 2013 Pajero vs 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit?

    The Summit is top of the range for the GC. Dont worry about the air suspension it can handle the caravan and there is not a lot of failures on them that I am aware of. Also had the previous GC with the Merc motor and now new model Overland 3l. Both of then handled my heavy caravan with ease. Although I prefer the Merc motor the new GC is more economical. Go for a test drive and then decide. The GC is quite a bit more powerful than the Pajero. But you decide for yourself. My current GC is my fourth one including two V8 and none of them gave me major hassles and it is/was always a pleasure driving them.
    2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland GDE Eco Tune

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •