Towing Restrictions

Default Towing Restrictions

I saw this sometime ago and would like to find out from forum members if you will need special permit to tow as it is shown on the photo. I would also like to know if there are any restriction i.e. length, etc
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Towing Restrictions

https://www.arrivealive.co.za/Towing-Of-Vehicles

proviso:
    Gross vehicle mass, gross axle massload, gross axle unit massload, gross combination mass, power to mass ratio and axle massload of driving axle to total mass ratio not to be exceeded

As far as I know it is illegal
    But not due to the total weight or length, as with that older craven it will have a low GVM its more the trailer, it needs to have a braked axle, so that is more the issue.

On a safety issue I ways worry with a long combination like that if you have to swerve to avoid a collision you'll actually loose control as that trailer could end up fish-tailing terribly, I personally have camped with a caravan and am not sure why you need so much packing space, Caravans have plenty of space, but hey that's me.
    Geoff Craig
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    (M)
    '14 VW Polo 1.2 TSI HL (SWAMBO's)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort
    4x4 Action Group membership

Het hulle die Kombuis Wasbak ook saamgevat ?
    Kobus

HDJ81 VX

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Copied directly off that thread:

Wegsleep magazine dealt with the issue of tandem towing some time ago. They seeked legal opinion, which concluded that both trailers need to have at least run-in breaks.

So owing to the fact that the trailer behind the caravan has no brakes... it's illegal
    Geoff Craig
    (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

Perhaps should have got a ticket for bad loading of van and trailer
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wave View Post
    Copied directly off that thread:

Wegsleep magazine dealt with the issue of tandem towing some time ago. They seeked legal opinion, which concluded that both trailers need to have at least run-in breaks.

So owing to the fact that the trailer behind the caravan has no brakes... it's illegal
    Firstly that is an opinion, can you support that 'it's illegal' with proper documentation?

DiscoEast's post sums the conundrum quite nicely....

As the law stands now, tandem towing in not illegal, but you need to remain within the parameters set out in the law. Confusion arises from lack of a specific description to the type of trailers we use when compared to the general goods transport trailers in this regard. In my view I list the following :
    1) The max towing limit of the towing vehicle. But here is the snake in the grass, eg : I drive a LR Discovery 3 I can legally tow 3500 Kg, however, for me to achieve that I need to have a braking system on the trailer/s that respond to the the pedal inputs in the tow vehicle, the term service brake is used in the law. I'm not aware of such a system off the shelf that complies to the SABS standards, but I have seen an air brake system used on Ldv's in the past. It may be worth further research for those interested. So without such a service brake system fitted you have to rely on the towing mass limits in the braking section of the law. Thus, less than 50% tow vehicle tare a 750 Kg GVM trailer or less, and equal to the tow vehicle tare a trailer of the same GVM as vehicle tare but now requires a run in brake. Using my example of the D3, I have a tare of 2550 Kg thus I can tow up till 2550 Kg legal with a run in brake.
    2) The tandem towing will have to be seen as a total package being pulled from the towbar of the towing vehicle so this can be a gray area as to the needs of each individual trailer, the law says over 50% of tare you require a run in brake. There will be no doubt that the 750 Kg be exceeded in tandem setup, this brings up the question of which of the trailer/s require the run in brake to comply with the law ?
    3) Now you need to consider the GVM of each trailer, and here I'm excluding the service brake conversion to a tow vehicle thus just working from a tare prospective, so you add the two trailers GVM and that must not exceed the tow vehicles tare.
    4) In tandem towing the front trailer is now also towing a trailer, and this is important to me, is that front trailer tow rated. I feel this could have legal implications if such a tandem towing combination were involved in a accident, and maybe your insurance will look the other way.
    5) Lastly the combination length, the total length of the tow vehicle and trailers, there is nothing in the law with regards to the under 3500Kg, but it does for over 3500Kg, and that is 22meters all inclusive of bullbars etc. so stick with that.
    Towing in tandem

There are some caravaners who like to tow an additional trailer or perhaps even a boat behind their caravan and do so quite successfully. While there is no immediate restriction to prevent this practise – other than the warranty of the caravan becoming null and void – there are certain restrictions.
    The first restriction is that you may not have two vehicles (a vehicle is classified as having an engine driving wheels) pulling a trailer; rather you are allowed one towing vehicle pulling two trailers (a caravan and a luggage trailer or boat) providing the maximum length does not exceed 22 metres.
    I tried my utmost to find proof that tandem is totally illegal, no joy.

...but am open to be convinced otherwise

Edit: From NRTA
    In terms of Regulation 222 (restriction on combination of motor vehicles) of the National Road Traffic Act, states the following:
    No person shall operate on a public road any combination of motor vehicles –

other than a drawing vehicle and one or two trailers
    Last edited by Prof; 2018/10/07 at 07:58 PM.

It's not illegal, as long as you have an EB license, and both trailers have run in brakes. The venter obviously doesn't, which makes it illegal, but I doubt the weight of the venter is enough to really cause an issue with the lack of brakes.

Have towed some pretty hectic rigs on bwckroads and around the farms since I was a laaitie, and it's really not that hectic, as long as you keep the speed down. Nothing more than 80 on tar, and the rear trailer must always be the lightest.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RPiet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    It's not illegal, as long as you have an EB license, and both trailers have run in brakes. The venter obviously doesn't, which makes it illegal, but I doubt the weight of the venter is enough to really cause an issue with the lack of brakes.

Have towed some pretty hectic rigs on bwckroads and around the farms since I was a laaitie, and it's really not that hectic, as long as you keep the speed down. Nothing more than 80 on tar, and the rear trailer must always be the lightest.
    Help me out here please...am unable to find the actual part in the NRTA where it states both must have run in brakes

I can't remember now exactly, will have to check tomorrow, but if I recall it has to do with the total size and weight, being over 5m and a GVM for the combined trailers being over 750kg, is the reasoning for needing overrun brakes on each trailer.

I honestly thing it's silly, if the rear trailer is a little venter luggage trailer, there is no need for it to be braked

I dont believe both need run in brakes legally. Practically at least one does.
    The problem with towing two single axle trailers to me is purely stabality under extreme conditions. Most single axle trailes have to long a distance between the axle and the rear of the trailer to tow stable.

Also, a few years back, Caravan SA magazine had an article where Jurgens CI stated that none of thier Caravans are designed to have towbars mounted to the chassis of the caravan, and that the forces can damage the chassis of the caravan.

I still cannot fathom how you need and caravan and a trailer
    Geoff Craig
    (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

Maybe the guy in the pic just loves the DSTV programme called “Outback Truckers”

The real issue is why that bakkie doesn't have a drop plate fitted

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    The real issue is why that bakkie doesn't have a drop plate fitted
    Was thinking same!
    '06 TJ Wranger | 4.0L Auto| 4.5" Lift | 35" Copper STT | 15" MT Classic II Black | 4.88 Gears

As I understand it the total length may not exceed 22m, both trailers must have run in brakes and the driver must have a code 14 drivers licence.

2010 Defender 110 Puma HCPU (Bostrok)
    2015 Mercedes Benz GLA (Swambo's Glam)

The GVM of that Jurgens Classique is +- 1500kg. The GVM of the unbraked trailer is 750kg.

For the Classique you need a towing vehicle with a Tare Mass of at least 1500kg

For the unbraked 750kg trailer you need a towing vehicle with a Tare Mass of at least double the trailer = 1500kg.

Question is: Do you now add this together to get 3000kg as the required Tare Mass for towing vehicle?

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2018/10/08 at 06:44 AM.
    Kobus

HDJ81 VX

I would assume so, as that makes perfect sense if you break down the towing weights - vs- vehicle mass
    Geoff Craig
    (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort