experience with sidewall cuts please? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: experience with sidewall cuts please?

Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA I think
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Back in 2003 I got a few sidewall cuts on my new Cooper M/T's and knew I was doing something wrong.

I heard of Johann-Tyre in Cape Town, so I gave him a call and asked him what I'm doing wrong. He asked me what pressure I'm running my tyres at on rocky trails, and I said around 1.5 bar as per the general convention. He then told me one important thing and that was to never use more than 1 bar, no matter what the terrain.

Since then it has been 15 year, at least 10 different 4x4's, ranging from little Suzuki's to big a Cruiser and Patrol, stock standard to highly modified, 29" to 35" tyres, highway tyres, all terrrain tyres and mud terrain tyre, and at least a 1000 off-road trips...and not a single sidewall cut.

So go ahead, debate which tyres can resist sidewall cuts or not, I'll stick to what works for me

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    What tyre is that?
    Goodyear Wranglers. They are pretty old, and honestly for what I put them through I'm surprised they lasted this long, being regular P-spec items. My Jeep came with 18" rims, and when I was looking to get a set of 17s off a JK, I found a chap that was selling 5 wheels and used tyres, so I got them, intending to use them until they gave up on me. Which seems to be pretty much now. I've ordered a set of Achilles Desert Hawk XMT, will be installing them in the coming week.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyG For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Barto View Post
    Back in 2003 I got a few sidewall cuts on my new Cooper M/T's and knew I was doing something wrong.

I heard of Johann-Tyre in Cape Town, so I gave him a call and asked him what I'm doing wrong. He asked me what pressure I'm running my tyres at on rocky trails, and I said around 1.5 bar as per the general convention. He then told me one important thing and that was to never use more than 1 bar, no matter what the terrain.

Since then it has been 15 year, at least 10 different 4x4's, ranging from little Suzuki's to big a Cruiser and Patrol, stock standard to highly modified, 29" to 35" tyres, highway tyres, all terrrain tyres and mud terrain tyre, and at least a 1000 off-road trips...and not a single sidewall cut.

So go ahead, debate which tyres can resist sidewall cuts or not, I'll stick to what works for me
    This is very tyre dependent of course. Coopers have a 3-ply sidewall construction, so at 1 bar they behave very differently to a less expensive tyre at the same pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
    This is very tyre dependent of course. Coopers have a 3-ply sidewall construction, so at 1 bar they behave very differently to a less expensive tyre at the same pressure.
    The point of my post was that my lack of sidewall cuts has NOT been tyre dependent. Besides that, back in 2003 the Cooper Muds where the cheapest crappy muds on the market with a weak 2-ply sidewall.

Also note that I say never more than 1 bar, no matter what tyre it is...depending on the tyre and terrain I would then adjust further down, but never above 1 bar.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barto For This Useful Post:

Bartho experience also taught me to go below 1 bar. However I get frowned upon when I make statements like that
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

To date we lost 3 Maxxis Bighorns with side wall cuts. Two on the Yank Ranger and on on the little Patrol. In my case also not happy with the mileage of the Maxxis. They won`t see 40k km on the Ranger.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Thanks for the answers so far. Reason for asking is, my 60 series Cruiser's tyres are getting old. They are Nankang Mustar and about 8 years old now. Because we don't drive a lot of mileage with that Cruiser, the there is still plenty of thread left. I feel it would be a waste if I spent a lot of money on M/T tyres again. I want that vehicle to be able to drive e.g. in Damaraland. I'm seriously considering getting Firestone Destination A/T tyres. Had them on a Jeep and Amarok. It would make the ride a lot more comfortable, improve fuel consumption and their grip was very good. Never had even marks on the sidewalls.
    Yokohama Geolanders (Non LT versions), I've lost 4. 2 sidewalls and 2 big holes through the centre of the tread. I'm now on my third set of Firestone Destination A/T's, with only one puncture ever. Great in the wet, quiet, tough as nails and deflate well for playing.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2018 Suzuki Jimny -
    2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts
    Platkar - Suzuki Swift 1.4 GLS Auto

14. The Following User Says Thank You to saxj For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3