Platkar... What's the lightest on fuel, in the real world? - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Platkar... What's the lightest on fuel, in the real world?

Quote Originally Posted by Kambro View Post
    You kept on promoting the Prius/CT200H Johan, I was just stating their high purchase prices

I quick glance at the classifieds and various high mileage clubs, shows plenty of VW TDIs go past the 500k mark. There are even Youtube videos of owners showing their odo ticking past the 600k mark! Clearly your mistrust in them are unfounded. Obviously the TSIs are newer and not many can be found going past 200k yet. We will have to give another year or two to see how they progress, although I think this is already a good reliability indicator.

To your original question: I think the current TSIs offer the best real world consumption figures, coupled with good performance and tractability (peak torque starting at low rpm) for everyday use.
    Ag no man.

I havenít even gotten to how bad diesels are for the environment, especially a VW

As I said at the start, it makes no difference to me what the OP buys. Iím simply sticking to plain old logic with my recommendation, and that is that a low-stressed mechanically simple power-train with permanently engaged direct drive will last longer than a small turbocharged unit coupled to a gearbox that has to change gears and a clutch that has to slip to engage drive.

Thatís not my logic, we all know that when complexity goes up reliability comes down.

The OP must go out and drive what he is interested in and decide what he wants to risk taking to 500K km.
    Daily drive: 2017 VW cross up!
    For sale: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Do not mistake my mantra for a crusade.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned Hydes, but spend some time on Fuelly, there is real world information there on almost any vehicle you can imagine. It has helped me in my search for a fuel efficient vehicle.

http://www.fuelly.com

Well our Honda jazz 1.5 vtec is very fuel efficient. 6l per 100km and my wife doesn't try save fuel.

Polos are lovely cars. Rather get a manual if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorPayne View Post
    Hi
    I did not read all 4 pages of this blog, so my apologies if somebody made this suggestion in the preceding pages.
    Unless you have to haul a load of equipment with you why not opt for a motorcycle for your commute. There are very few vehicles that can compare to the fuel consumption, you can buy a pretty decent bike for R100K which I believe is way less than any vehicle would be and traffic is never a problem. Travel time is considerably less than what traveling in a car would be and depending on what you buy he maintenance and upkeep is less that what a car would set you back. The only downside is that you need to have eyes on all sides of your head and the occasional rain shower that you need to deal with, for which you can buy kit.
    my 2 cents
    Regards
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have a bike. BMW R1200GS Adventure. Average fuel consumption over the life I've had it is 5.6L/100KM A good figure(for a 1000kg+ car), but hardly noteworthy "fuel efficient" when you consider it weighs 250kg, plus my 120kg. Tyres are expensive, basically just shy of R3000 per change, and it happens often. You lucky if you see 20 000km on a set. I haven't. At least I have a shaft drive, with chain and sprockets, you need to think of that getting replaced often too. Services are expensive (i do them myself), even the Honda NC700 which is "THE COMMUTING" bike, go find out what the service items cost, how much an air filter is...

You do not save money with a bike. Time yes! Plenty, but not money! Also, this commute, is arguably the most congested piece of road in the country, and in summer, pretty much the whole route in the afternoons have serious thunder storms. I don't mind getting wet now and then, but getting hit by lightning would be a deeply unpleasant experience. The bike (mine) is there for fun, not for getting home after 8 to 12 hours of hectic graft.

Quote Originally Posted by 2CooL View Post
    I commute 160km a day , have done this for 7years.

Best value for money and also maintaining resell, with low service cost

2013 VW Polo 1.6TDi WulfChipTegnik
    Will go read up on these.

Have you looked at the 2013-2017 Volvo XC60 D4 geartronic 8Speed Auto ,really great vehicle and lowest in fuel in its class.

Be cautious on the rim selection as bigger ones raise the running costs for tires.
    No, Volvo has honestly never crossed my mind, but I'm going to do some research on them now. Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWW View Post
    I am not sure if this has been mentioned Hydes, but spend some time on Fuelly, there is real world information there on almost any vehicle you can imagine. It has helped me in my search for a fuel efficient vehicle.

http://www.fuelly.com
    Yep, thank you.

Hi Guys, sorry, long rough week! My replies in red...

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

Another suggestion that I only thought of couple of days ago is the Mazda 2. 1.5 Dynamic, Auto. Everything I've read, and seen on youtube looks very good!

Chris
    HYADES

Have you looked at the 2013-2017 Volvo XC60 D4 geartronic 8Speed Auto ,really great vehicle and lowest in fuel in its class.

Be cautious on the rim selection as bigger ones raise the running costs for tires.

Geez, like I said before, I never would have thought of even looking at Volvo, but the V40 D3 Gearmatic (6 speed auto) looks very good! Yoh, spanner in the works...

Chris
    HYADES

Maybe a question we should have asked at the start, what's your budget?

I have not taken the time to read through this thread.
    However, the most economical in terms of fuel usage would be the one least driven.

Jokes aside - most cash is wasted in unnecessary short, repetitive or unplanned routing or travel.

Second would be driving style (habits).

OK.
    I'm going away now.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Taking into consideration the OP's annual mileage, the current vehicle he uses, the fuel and maintenance costs, depreciation, insurance, the vehicle that seems like it will cost the least overall to own is...

https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...-West/3890743/

R70K, cheap to buy
    6L/100km, cheap on fuel
    Corolla underpinnings, cheap to maintain
    Zero theft and hijack risk, cheap to insure
    The default choice of Uber drivers and taxi drivers the world over, reliable like the sun
    The final year of the model, so the best made.

I'd recommend spending as little as possible on a daily drive car and invest the rest. But then again I'm not normal

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Johan Slabbert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Slabbert View Post
    Taking into consideration the OP's annual mileage, the current vehicle he uses, the fuel and maintenance costs, depreciation, insurance, the vehicle that seems like it will cost the least overall to own is...

https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...-West/3890743/

R70K, cheap to buy
    6L/100km, cheap on fuel
    Corolla underpinnings, cheap to maintain
    Zero theft and hijack risk, cheap to insure
    The default choice of Uber drivers and taxi drivers the world over, reliable like the sun
    The final year of the model, so the best made.

I'd recommend spending as little as possible on a daily drive car and invest the rest. But then again I'm not normal

BWAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mooiman. Actually, that's not a bad price. Mileage is a bit high, but its cheap, I'll give you that. You really should consider helping out at your local Toyota dealership selling them on your off time. You may start making more in commission then the restaurant business

I promise, I will go drive one before I buy anything.
    Last edited by Hyades; 2018/10/13 at 01:45 PM.

Chris
    HYADES

We still donít know the budget though?

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Slabbert View Post
    We still donít know the budget though?

I did mention it earlier (post #24) Not more than R250k, but obviously as little as possible within reason.

Chris
    HYADES

I did read on MyBroadband where they're asking members to contribute to a fuel consumption thread to post their findings in their cars, with proof, photo of the on-board computer.

One of the most impressive figures I saw was a BMW 320d auto (F30 model) driving from Hermanus to JHB (1000+km) with an average fuel consumption of 4.5L/100Km, with a photo of the trip summary on the computer. He did say the cruise control was set at 120kph and thats how they did it. Acccording to him, he could have done the 1400km in one tank, but as he put it, he didn't have the balls to try the last 100km without filling up again.

That is phenomenal! cost of ownership may be something else after motor plan expires, but for the size, and comfort that vehicle gives, to produce fuel consumption figures like that, it makes the Polo's and Prius'es look quite ridiculous in comparison.

Our current 120d has not given us any issues, it's close to 200k on the clock. Dunno how good the newer BMW's are.
    Last edited by Hyades; 2018/10/13 at 02:16 PM.

Chris
    HYADES

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    I did mention it earlier (post #24) Not more than R250k, but obviously as little as possible within reason.
    Sorry I missed that, I only really read post 1.

If thatís your budget and the aim is to save money, buy the best new car with the longest warranty that you can get.

Something like this:

http://www.toyota.co.za/mobi/vehiclemodels?smc=48D

Negotiate, and you might bag that at 250K

Or if you really want to risk owning a fancy luxury car out of warranty, based on fuel consumption alone, go for it. But good luck and let us know how it works out.

I know a VW up! will likely be too small and too slow for you, but to those preaching turbo-diesel figures, just take a long hard look at these:

I did an impromptu wine buying trip to Paarl and back earlier today. In a hurry, not driving like a maniac but not wasting time or trying to conserve fuel at all.
    The trip was a mix of very heavy city traffic and busy freeways, where maintaining a constant speed for more than a few seconds at a time was impossible.

Aircon on all the way, and the return trip was with about 300L of wine on board:

And if you know math you will realize that maintaining an average speed of 83km/h does NOT mean you drove at 83km/h all the way. In the congested Cape, thatís getting a move on...

All of this is from a humble naturally aspirated petrol engine. No turbos, only 5 speeds, no stop start or regen braking etc etc. Zero attempts to drive economically.

My honest recommendation is getting a simple naturally aspirated petrol engined vehicle. Itís most likely to last a long time and they really are not that bad on fuel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5