Clarens vrystaat - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Clarens vrystaat

any accommodation recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Hi, we stayed at Zwartmodder a couple of weekends ago. Nice and clean. Our room had a double bed, and separate room with 2 singles for the kids. Also stayed at Golden Gate Hotel and Chalets. The chalets was nice, because there is a braai with a spectacular view. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    cor, jys in die Woesrand. Die pad is die beste:

Woesrand - Vanderbijl - Sasol - Heilbron - Petrus Steyn - Reitz - Bethlehem - Clarens.

Mooi pad, die Sasol - Heilbron pad is nou, maar mooi. Daars ook nie meer padwerke nie.

MOENIE met jou GPS om Heilbron ry nie..........jy gaan verdwaal!!! Ry deur die dorp. (weet nie hoekom nie, my GPS sit my op 'n stuk grondpad verby Heilbron. Al sy settings is reg, maar hy doen dit), en as jy deur is, sit weer GPS aan.

Jy kan seker maar Villiers om ry (N3) en dan Warden ens ens ............ maar ek dink dis 'n draai, en die Sasol - Heilbron pad is baie nice.

Vanderbijl - Sasol - Heilbron - Petrus Steyn - Reitz - Bethlehem - Clarens. did this road two weeks ago and its good

Depending on budget....
    Farm stay...Bethel farm.Awesome spot and 5min from town and best prices for all you get
    In town Akzente.Good price and nice accomodation..Stay on bottom unit.
    There are beter places but they generally double the price of these two

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Morne Sandstone Estate is worth a visit, less than an hour away.
    https://www.sandstone-estates.com/
    Last edited by Francois Theron; 2019/07/12 at 12:35 PM.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Morne, as Francois said - Sandstone Estates - VERY VERY nice. Its near Fouriesburg (on the Clarens side), I'd say about 40km away. Friends of ours own the place, Corlia and Janre Boshoff. SUPER nice interiors, linen, etc etc. Call Janre direct 0823775222, tell him I referred you.

Then, Google "Uithoek Farm" and "Lesoba", both places owned by Rulay and JL Mans, call Rulay directly on 0726600840. Super nice, rustic but with all amenities.

Another one is Roodepoort Farm Cottages, HUGE pal of mine Anton van Wyk's place. Its about 9 km from Clarens, on the Bethlehem - Clarens road. Great place, nice views, very rustig and laid back. Call Anton on 0824475999.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

We ONLY do camping, so cannot give info. on the B&B or self catering sides,
    We did stay at Brandwag in in one of the chalet's with some friends from NZ - but MANY years ago - then it was great. now? Unknown.

More recently we stayed at Glen Reenen campsite at Golden Gate - some problems with ablution condition, complained, quickly sorted.

That whole area around Harrismith, Kestle, Bethlehem, Clarens and further south towards Ficksburg and Lesotho border post is all amazing scenery and plenty of touristic arts and craft sites, coffee shops, "antique" stores, amazing pubs with CRAFT beers worth trying, hiking opportunities, horse riding. mountain climbing, cycling, Eish - you name it.
    Even dinosaur eggs, fossils, walking trails .. geology, topography, history.

In my younger years I have walked most of those trails. Some, I think, are no longer open to the public - but worth trying to find out.

Just GO there.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Peter, funny enough, VERY few (nice) camping spots in the whole area of maybe 100km radius (Bethlehem to Reitx/Paul Roux/Fouriesburg/etc etc).

Nicest ones I know of are Glen Reenen (but AFAIK closed for renovations??), around the Clarens area nothing really nice. Only Fouriesburg area, I'd say Uithoek and Lesoba.

There are a few others around Fouriesburg that are also nice (I ve heard).

But near to Bethlehem/Clarens/Paul Roux/Rosendal?? Nutting.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Morne, as Francois said - Sandstone Estates - VERY VERY nice. Its near Fouriesburg (on the Clarens side), I'd say about 40km away. Friends of ours own the place, Corlia and Janre Boshoff. SUPER nice interiors, linen, etc etc. Call Janre direct 0823775222, tell him I referred you.

Then, Google "Uithoek Farm" and "Lesoba", both places owned by Rulay and JL Mans, call Rulay directly on 0726600840. Super nice, rustic but with all amenities.

Another one is Roodepoort Farm Cottages, HUGE pal of mine Anton van Wyk's place. Its about 9 km from Clarens, on the Bethlehem - Clarens road. Great place, nice views, very rustig and laid back. Call Anton on 0824475999.
    Dankie, ek het plek gekry by Lesoba ....

What pubs/restaurants/etc is a 100% MUST when in and around clarens ... I want to book seeing that we're going over a long weekend, reckon the places will be packed.

the one next to the coffee rostery was a shocker when i was there last month so stay away from that one. the one up from that was good

17. The Following User Says Thank You to vidalbum For This Useful Post:

What pubs/restaurants/etc is a 100% MUST when in and around clarens ... I want to book seeing that we're going over a long weekend, reckon the places will be packed.
    For a nice evening with good wine and whiskey selection and atmoshphere, you can try Clementines Restaurant and Bar.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jds For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vidalbum View Post
    the one next to the coffee rostery was a shocker when i was there last month so stay away from that one. the one up from that was good
    Highland Coffee Roastery had the most AMAZING cappuccino muffins when we passed through in April.

Made my husband turn around (very difficult to do) so I could buy more :-)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Gooseonthemove For This Useful Post:

Clarens Brewery - amazing craft beer.
    Mosaic Pizzeria - awesome pizzas. from the ordinary to some really interesting ones.
    2016 Ford Everest 3.2Tdci XLT AWD A/T - Mods have begun!
    2010 BMW 320i AT (SWAMBO)

Always go for the deepest mud, muddy stories make the best memories!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Henko88 For This Useful Post:

The road runs in a circle, start at the one end and work your way through, they are all fun and you will have a great time.

Just be warn, there is some arty crafty weirdous in Clarence

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    The road runs in a circle, start at the one end and work your way through, they are all fun and you will have a great time.

Just be warn, there is some arty crafty weirdous in Clarence
    thanks, but would like to book one or two, just to avoid not getting in to any of them on the day

I wouldn't do that.

Rather just go and get a feel for Clarence, enjoy the wine and dance and just relax.

I'm not even sure that they know what "booking" is in Clarence you will see when you get there.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

I disagree. Over a long weekend I can guarantee you that you will not find space at the nicer restaurants. We visit very often, last time was about 5 weeks ago. We always arrive on the Thursday relatively early and immediately book our favorite spots. Goloso and Rotor Hanhne is my favorites. SWAMBO loves Clemetines. Clarens Brewery for lunch is a must. Highlands brewery for coffee. Vito's for Pub Lunch and hot tomato soup if it's cold. Clarens is busier that what it always was but still by far our favorite weekend breakaway.
    Ockert
    Toyota Prado 120 4.0VX

29. The Following User Says Thank You to OJ-K For This Useful Post:

Brewery is a good place to start always.Ok ish beer and nice platters.
    I see the Gin bar has moved to a beter spot.Have not been there but maybe worth a visit
    The Rotterhann german restaurant can be nice at times (the pork belly is awesome)
    Highlander is cozy and food is not bad
    Clementines is very good and you need to book over weekends
    Pizzeria is good
    Die Kooperasie is crap
    Vitos is not bad
    A little hidden gem in Clarens is the bakery down at the bottom of town at clarens extreme.They always have nice grab and go goodies

As for coffee..Dont waste your time at the roastery if you really like your coffee.They are declining fast.Baristas are untrained and cleanliness of coffee machine and counter are bad.They used to be good and consistant,now its all about quantity..i would rather go to the post office restaurant and buy a cappucino or the likes there for a take away.
    Last edited by Mr.G; 2019/07/31 at 03:19 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

To add, Highlander for oxtail soup when cold, one of my favourite dishes in winter in Clarens.
    If you like beer definately Clarens Beer brewery.are worth a visit .

When strolling through the town, have a look at all restaurants and menus, let your wife choose and book for the evening.
    Some restaurants are best to book before midday eg Clementines.

Sugar and Cinnamon on the right hand side before Kiara lodge before Golden Gate are good for breakfast and midday , nice droewors as well.

Best Biltong and Chillie bites in Clarens, Horeb butchery near Engen garage, first street left at main entrance of Clarens .

Enjoy

33. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyPeeler For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast