Is this it? - Page 166

Page 166 of 180 FirstFirst ... 66 116 141 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,320 of 3587

Thread: Is this it?

Default Re: Is this it?

Those that have seen it in the flesh, how do you feel about the boot space?

The old Defender had loads of cargo space.
    When my father sold his 110, he of course kept the minus 40 fridge...
    Big was our disappointment years later trying to fit it into my D2(would probably be OK in a D3/4).

It would absolutely suck if the new 110 has a tiny boot and the 130 gets canned :-(
    2001 Disco 2 V8 XS

Quote Originally Posted by Jan234 View Post

Big was our disappointment years later trying to fit it into my D2(would probably be OK in a D3/4).

It would absolutely suck if the new 110 has a tiny boot and the 130 gets canned :-(
    The rear opening is very narrow and the rear door doesn’t open 90 degrees so installing a fridge slide will become problematic.

The rear boot floor is also very high (but there is some space below for tools etc.) so overall I wouldn’t say it’s a large boot, and definitely doesn’t compete with a D4 or D5.

Lovely vehicle though, very well built and good looking, I like it.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Just leaving this here.. Perfect summary in 4 pics of how all vehicles are perceived! Name:  IMG-20200707-WA0038.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  64.0 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HannoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jan234 View Post

Love the car, but i feel the boot could have been packaged better considering the outer dimensions....

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    The New Defender is built for this, so other than the price, it makes perfect sense.
    Price is I think the main issue directly and indirectly shrouding most of the arguments here.

Even in UK where the thing is built, the damn thing costs 45k GBP (1 million Rand) for the barebones 110 with steel rims and cloth fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    The web is full of pics of the Hardtop commercial version to be realesed later this year, I see it has got back doors, no 2nd and 3rd row seats which means it is VAT REFUNDABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Guess which version I will buy, and fit an after market seat and windows.

I understand the hardtop is not coming to South Africa
    DON'T BE AFRAID TO TRY NEW THINGS - AFTERALL THE TITANIC WAS BUILT BY PROFESSIONALS, THE ARK BY AMATEURS

Yeah, I opened the rear door and was shocked at how small the boot is.

I think they did this intentionally to give more space to the rear passengers.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

The New Defender is built for this, so other than the price, it makes perfect sense.

Still not sure why you were driving the old one?

Maybe I'm not woke enough to get it?
    Everybody moves on , eventually , also had the Defender and move to the D3 . Loved the Defender but only used it for holidays (grinding it out) and made me feel like Indiana Jones . The D3 , much more practical , use as holiday , transporter and“ kerk en werk “ ( and by holiday I don’t mean hotels and spa,s although you can) still makes me feel like Indiana, only instead of a revolver I now have a semi auto
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Price is I think the main issue directly and indirectly shrouding most of the arguments here.

Even in UK where the thing is built, the damn thing costs 45k GBP (1 million Rand) for the barebones 110 with steel rims and cloth fabric.
    Keep the GPD - Rand exchange hike during covid in mind
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Everybody moves on , eventually , also had the Defender and move to the D3 . Loved the Defender but only used it for holidays (grinding it out) and made me feel like Indiana Jones . The D3 , much more practical , use as holiday , transporter and“ kerk en werk “ ( and by holiday I don’t mean hotels and spa,s although you can) still makes me feel like Indiana, only instead of a revolver I now have a semi auto
    Sure. That makes sense.

You didn't punish yourself by driving the old Defender for years and now that that New one is launched you've finally decided that, well, actually, what you need is not a Defender but something more refined and faster.

You chose one of the many alternatives years ago, it would also make perfect sense if you had to upgrade from the D3 to the New Defender, because they're sort of the same thing.

But going from an Old Defender to the New One? Like I said, maybe I'm just not woke enough..?
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fontuin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Hmm ... I wonder if soldiers also moaned back in the day when they got upgraded from a Lee-Enfield to a machine gun for warfare? Imagine the unions staging strikes demanding their old weapons back. "We ain't going to war unless you give us our old manual weapons back"
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

cor

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Hmm ... I wonder if soldiers also moaned back in the day when they got upgraded from a Lee-Enfield to a machine gun for warfare? Imagine the unions staging strikes demanding their old weapons back. "We ain't going to war unless you give us our old manual weapons back"
    There have been quite a few combat rifle designs that were atrocious.
    Also some LMG designs.
    The USA didn't switch to the FN MAG for nothing.
    Your argument is flawed. Technology for technology's sake is a bad idea.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Useful technology.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2020/07/08 at 01:05 PM.

Use full technology.
    Useful. Different meaning.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Useful. Different meaning.
    My grammar letting me down again. Fixed.

My grandfather was a wise man. He had a favourite saying: "alle veranderings is nie verbeterings nie", and therein lies the rub. If something has been changed, does it improve on the item it replaces in terms of its intended use? There are countless examples of it not being the case. Especially in the automotive world.

A very simple example was the digital electronic instrument displays in the late 80's. Think Opel T car GSI, Cressida 2.8 etc. All the follow up models went back to analogue displays. A change but not an improvement.

A very basic example as well; in the early nineties, Isuzu came out with the two rows of buttons for all controls both sides and just behind the steering wheel. Looked impressive but the next model went back to the usual controls.

Think of flip open cell phones. All the rage at one stage but they didn't last. So can I continue. Some ideas are very good, but may be before there time and won't last because of reliability issues. Think rotor engine. Or early air suspension.

There is sometimes a fine line between fad and function for manufacturers. In a working type vehicle, like the Defender used to be, function surely must weigh must heavier.

So yes, if the new machine gun did not improve on the Mauser, I'm sure it would not have lasted. Fortunately it was a huge improvement.
    Last edited by Francois Theron; 2020/07/08 at 01:11 PM.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

The New Defender will never be a working type vehicle.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The New Defender will never be a working type vehicle.
    You did see me using the past tense
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

The 737 Max has lots of technology and software to cover up its short comings and we all know how successful that was.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

The fact remains , is there a market in the WORLD for the old Defender . The short answer is no , unless the Grenadier proves me wrong , but somehow I do not see that happening . There’s a time for everything and the old Defender was great , but it had its time . The shortfall on a vehicle like that is just to big
    Using Tapatalk