Is this it? - Page 125

Page 125 of 162 FirstFirst ... 25 75 100 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 150 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 3236

Thread: Is this it?

Default Re: Is this it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    Somebody thinks that doing Van Zyl's pass is going to convince many of us who are saying that this is not a Defender replacement, that it is? They are clueless...
    No single product or thing or entity can 100% replace another one in theory, because they two would be very, very different in many aspects.

So with all intents, even the D5 was not a D4 "replacement" really in the literal sense. Perhaps an upgrade.

Semantics aside, definitely a very very very few hard core defender fans will never accept the new defender. But it appears to me that majority have embraced it. It's impossible to please everyone in this world. C'est la vie.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    Why is it important to convince them otherwise?

exactly!
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    My D5 is going to LR next week (i hardly use it anyway) and then the long wait for the New Defender to arrive.
    Few weeks ago the D5 was the next best thing since sliced bread ....
    '89 LR 110 V8

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtheman View Post
    My question for those moving from a D5 to defender is why?
    I am moving from the D5 not because it is a bad vehicle or because it wont do what I want it to do but because of the opportunity i may have to do so relatively cheaply. It is more than capable and has already done what I need it to do. The problem I have with it is the style/expectations, and I dont mean the looks - they have grown on me. The D5 is considered a luxury vehicle and because of that, using it in the bush is almost frowned upon. For example, at the Defender reveal even the instructors commented that they had never seen one with a roof rack and awning on and when i told them where it had been they looked at me like I was talking rubbish - Im not the only one to do these trips in a D5 either but it is almost unheard of.

So what I am doing is I have built 3 spec's that i would like in the New Defender in order of preference. A LR dealer has agreed to sell my D5 on my behalf for a small commission at a higher price than what I paid - so I may make a little..
    The dealer is receiving some Defenders that may not be built fully to spec, so for example on the HSE it might be missing the wading sensors. Im not worried about many of these gizmo's although they are lekka to play with. Below is a list of my minimum options/requirements:

• Explorer pack
    • 3D Surround cameras
    • Terrain response 2
    • Centre arm rest with fridge
    • I would prefer white in any of the 3 options

The worst that can happen is I dont get a New Defender (unlikely) and I then have to buy another vehicle. (probably another D5 but will see when the time comes)

So thats my long story but to add to that, I really like the New Defender more than the D5 looks and setup wise (i haven't driven one yet)
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/03/06 at 01:47 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Few weeks ago the D5 was the next best thing since sliced bread ....
    And its still a brilliant vehicle but then the Defender was launched. (The D5's main downfall is not everyone likes its looks)

Mike out of interest, why in this thread have you continually seemed pretty negative about the New Defender?
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/03/06 at 01:46 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

sorry to add, my biggest problem (and probably my only problem) with the D5 is the rear door. I cant open it in my garage and I cant fit a Batwing awning to it.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/03/06 at 01:49 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

.........Mike out of interest, why in this thread have you continually seemed pretty negative about the New Defender?
    "The King is dead, long live the King" became "The King is dead, long live the new politically correct democratic president". The King had his drawbacks, but he was the undisputed boss, this new oke is just a popular guy that will disappear after his term.
    '89 LR 110 V8

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    "The King is dead, long live the King" became "The King is dead, long live the new politically correct democratic president". The King had his drawbacks, but he was the undisputed boss, this new oke is just a popular guy that will disappear after his term.

The King has been dead for many years unfortunately.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

That's cool maybe a newish D5 is on the cards in a few years
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

... Maybe it will gain character once people start using them and personalizing them...
    If think you right here. It needs its own identity and this will only come as the masses start using them and customizing them. I just hope they not adopted as the new 'G Wagon' by our elitists and create the total wrong identity for the vehicle.
    Last edited by ClaudeG; 2020/03/06 at 08:49 PM.

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

One of the most appealing things about the old Defender was its value holding ability. I find it amazing that if you take a Range Rover / Disco from 2005 and compare it to a Defender from the same year, chances are the Defender will cost more, which is amazing when you consider that when new, the Range cost probably twice more than the Defender. Now that the new Defender has moved from its hardcore roots into Disco / Range territory, will it hold value as well as the old? In 2050 will we see 2020 Defenders going strong, and selling for silly money. Will we see companies like CoolnVintage rebuilding 2020 Defenders? I donít think so. I predict that in about 5 years the last Defenders from 2015 will be going for more than the 2020 Defenders... Anyone wants to bet?

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post
    If think you right here. It needs its own identity and this will only come as the masses start using them and customizing them. I just hope they not adopted as the new 'G Wagon' by our elitists and create the total wrong identify for the vehicle.
    Claude unfortunately I think they will be seen in Sandton a lot and that’s part of what they will loose. (The image of adventure) I suppose that’s a good thing for JLR.

twist I agree. They won’t hold their value as much as the old especially with the new technology evolving all the time. I am pretty sure it’s the same with any modern vehicle.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/03/06 at 07:38 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    One of the most appealing things about the old Defender was its value holding ability. I find it amazing that if you take a Range Rover / Disco from 2005 and compare it to a Defender from the same year, chances are the Defender will cost more, which is amazing when you consider that when new, the Range cost probably twice more than the Defender. Now that the new Defender has moved from its hardcore roots into Disco / Range territory, will it hold value as well as the old? In 2050 will we see 2020 Defenders going strong, and selling for silly money. Will we see companies like CoolnVintage rebuilding 2020 Defenders? I donít think so. I predict that in about 5 years the last Defenders from 2015 will be going for more than the 2020 Defenders... Anyone wants to bet?
    Seriously .. just move on. The defender has moved on already.

In 2050, a 2020 defender will have old, archaic technology. Heck I don't even envisage a product life cycle of more than 8 years. By 2050, we shall probably have 4 evolutions of the defender. And that is a very good thing.

Only Mercedes has managed to maintain the G-wagen with old design language and bleeding edge technology, and they have pulled it off. But in the first place, the outgoing G-wagen was still selling like coke in the US and other anchor markets.

Unlike the defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post

That's exactly what most of us need - a car that will depreciate like that is it's sole purpose, so that the rest of us can buy some Sandton mommy's Defender in 3/4 years time with 50k km on the clock for 40% of the new price and then go overlanding with it.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lou07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lou07 View Post
    That's exactly what most of us need - a car that will depreciate like that is it's sole purpose, so that the rest of us can buy some Sandton mommy's Defender in 3/4 years time with 50k km on the clock for 40% of the new price and then go overlanding with it.
    Oh yeah. Enough said. Looking forward to a used example in 5 years. Preferably the p400

24. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Oh yeah. Enough said. Looking forward to a used example in 5 years. Preferably the p400
    There is such a lot of us waiting for a 5 year old , that I think itís going to hold its value . So i think you guys should accept that it is REALY a very overrated car and move on and go and buy a Toyota
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    There is such a lot of us waiting for a 5 year old , that I think itís going to hold its value . So i think you guys should accept that it is REALY a very overrated car and move on and go and buy a Toyota
    I saw today that a Prado is now over R1m! In my mind that's a R750k car...

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou07 For This Useful Post:

cor

Quote Originally Posted by Lou07 View Post
    I saw today that a Prado is now over R1m! In my mind that's a R750k car...
    Agreed, there is confusion about quality vs reliability. Ideally you want both.

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

I think Land Rover intentionally and cleverly used the Defender name and heritage to their advantage.

All this comparison between the classic and new creates a lot of debate and attention toward the new car. Some people who bemoan the applicability between the old and new probably won't even buy a car in this price segment anyway so no harm there in the form of a potential customer lost.

What happens is that those in the market for a car in this segment will now consider this Defender a viable purchase option where they probably would only have considered something like an LC200 before. The Defender used to compete with LC76 and Wranglers. No more so.

The crystal ball reveals visions of a 130 in my garage somewehere in the next 5 years....

But old original Landies are one of a kind and irreplaceable. They belong to an era that is not coming back. That makes me love them even more.

Toyota did the same with the FJ...Name:  f99baf15ba7e021fa60a584f7050a2f0.jpeg.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  48.7 KB
    1998 Defender 110 Tdi 300
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Waynesteele For This Useful Post: