Is this it? - Page 8

Page 8 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 33 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this it?

Default Re: Is this it?

I'm not a big fan of Land Rovers, have had to push a few too many of them over the years. But, I still love a Defender, the old V8 especially. I agree with Andrew here, a LOT of the people on this forum probably had their first experiences of a 4x4 with a Defender - at the least the guys over 40 or so.

I think what a lot of us are hoping or praying for, is that Land Rover can do with the Defender what Jeep seems to have done so well with the new JL; keep the character and capabilities, improve on the rest, but don't change the things that actually made a Defender a legend in the first place.

We all know it probably won't make sense economically, but many brands have a "halo-car" that they lose money on, just to keep the brand strong and cool. (VW with Bugatti, Merc with the Maybach and so on)

In my opinion, the Defender (could/would/should have?) should be LRs halo-car.

Unfortunately, based on what I see in the pictures, that is just not happening.
    Last edited by JohanRoux; 2018/10/04 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Are you referring to the "tough" and "Land Rover" in the same sentence? (I might have intended that contradictory pun)
    No. I actually had a brain explosion. No matter how many times I read what you wrote, I read tough as though. Only when you said tough in your reply did I read it as tough. Very strange.

I read" If the public's opinion does not fit into the narrow minded views of some Land Rover owners then though."

Which made no sense to me..
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Baie dankie

I also don't know why LR decided on another hyper tech marvel when their line-up is filled with hyper-tech jelly moulds at varying price points.
    This is pretty much what it boils down to, I'm not sure if that opinion can be considered narrow minded..?
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

As a current owner of a D4 that gets used to Overland and spends more of its time on adventures than in the city I am personally looking forward to the new defender as a replacement.

Honestly, I hope it will be what its hyped up to be and if it is - I will be standing in that queue to get my hands on one. If not, then Ill have to jump to one of the darker sides for a lifestyle/overland/adventure/fun vehicle. (It hurts me even thinking that)

If the D5 was as 'kittable' as my D4 is at the moment I would have bought one by now.
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    Answer this poll for yourself
    If Jeep can do all 3 with the Wrangler then so could LandRover.
    Any minority that advocates for gun control is either wilfully ignorant, or has never opened a history book.

The problem with collective punishment - is that sooner or later you're part of the collective.

Quote Originally Posted by BluePaj View Post
    If Jeep can do all 3 with the Wrangler then so could LandRover.
    Oh man you get 2 beers for that.

Ditto Toyota with the LC70 series.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I have never owned a Defender, I think the concept is a bit stupid, like it just happened from a spares bin with no planning or design. The world has moved on. Thats why there are so many ex-defender owners who wants to pass the crap on to us users. I will be keen to see what the new Defender looks like, may just be a sensible replacement for the D4.

BUT I will never ever buy it from a Land Rover dealer, Land Rover exist not because of them, but rather in spite of them.

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    I have never owned a Defender, I think the concept is a bit stupid, like it just happened from a spares bin with no planning or design. The world has moved on. Thats why there are so many ex-defender owners who wants to pass the crap on to us users. I will be keen to see what the new Defender looks like, may just be a sensible replacement for the D4.

BUT I will never ever buy it from a Land Rover dealer, Land Rover exist not because of them, but rather in spite of them.
    some interesting viewpoints

1) The Defender was a based on a long line of Series Land Rovers, but yes, research and design basically died in the early 1990s instead of following the Jeep Wrangler and Toyota LC route of steady progression

2) LR didn't follow the same route as the D1/D2/D3/D4 progression: they got stuck and lost their way and finally were too far away from a solution despite the release of the Puma which was too little, too late

3) I'd like to see how you can buy a New DefenDisco if you avoid the dealers: maybe a grey illegal import?
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post

I can honestly tell you that in my 11 years of LR ownership, Defender, D3's and D4's, that LR service is BY FAR much much better than my so far 2 years of Toyota service....this is from Woodmead and Rivonia.Toyota Customer service call line also pathetic.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

some interesting viewpoints

1) The Defender was a based on a long line of Series Land Rovers, but yes, research and design basically died in the early 1990s instead of following the Jeep Wrangler and Toyota LC route of steady progression

mmm, drum brakes with leave springs and miss aligned wheel track?

Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    mmm, drum brakes with leave springs and miss aligned wheel track?
    Leaf springs are way better for load carrying than coils. The other issue was due to bean counters.

The point is the LC 70 series still sells worldwide.........the Defender line had to be stopped.
    Percivamus

Leaf springs are way better for load carrying than coils. The other issue was due to bean counters.

The point is the LC 70 series still sells worldwide.........the Defender line had to be stopped.
    they are , sure, but my 110 HCPU is rated at 3500kg gvm and my neighbors lc single cab is 3200kg gvm..
    surely LR did proper testing before giving the rating for the coils..

but beside the point... LR could have done their part to keep to date with the times..

Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    but beside the point... LR could have done their part to keep to date with the times..
    that is indeed the point
    Percivamus

Irrespective of what I think they are doing right or wrong, I think this really is it.
    Look at the encircled areas:
    1. The bonnet is exaggerated and will be like the Series/Defender bonnet on the final product.
    2. The duct tape above the windshield also indicate that they are hiding the roof and that it might look like Series/Defender roof.
    3. Those blocks under the door windows indicate that it will have the rounded part that all Series/ Defender models have.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Leaf springs are way better for load carrying than coils.
    OT but the Aussies are saying exactly the opposite. The coil conversion on LC 79 is big business Down Under and on several YT videos I've seen they claim coils to be better at load bearing FWIW
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

mm, you might be right.. looking at the bigger pic.. that bonnet cover is def hiding something..
    might have some resemblance to the defender heritage.. much like the FJ ...

https://www.topgear.com/sites/defaul...?itok=slkxoFab

And with the rear:
    1. The rear door has indentations and a handle that hints to a spare wheel on the rear door.
    2. Small lights
    3. The Encircled part on the left indicate that the rear might be slanted.

I think this might be the SWB version.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

Sorry not a SWB version.

I think its the new Free Lander

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

So Paris motor show , was a no show for new Defender, but official spy shots are all over the web.
    Must say it looks like a big vehicle
    Last edited by Koos Best; 2018/10/09 at 08:17 AM.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

Page 8 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 33 58 ... LastLast