Is this it?





Page 1 of 212 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 51 101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 4231

Thread: Is this it?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,771
    Thanked: 674

    Default Is this it?

    I hear the new Defender is being produced in Eastern Europe somewhere and will be released in about 15 months. First two years production going to the US.

    Looks a lot like the old Defender with gutter on roof and has a G Wagon-like front look. It will be a 120 thus 10inches longer than the 110 and based on a Disco chassis with air suspension.

    Who knows more and pictures please.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,000
    Thanked: 16462

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    First I've heard about it but I predicted the use of a D3/4 chassis with a modular body.

    Probably being built in the Ukraine.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greenstone
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,332
    Thanked: 405

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    Completely new platform they won't use D4.

    http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...plate=mobile02

    Details are scarce but there is chance we see a revealing at Pairs motor show.

    No one has seen it, just a cropped Range Rover body on the mule.
    Last edited by Byron; 2018/08/30 at 05:37 PM.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Robertson
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,117
    Thanked: 490

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    I have read that they are planning to share platforms across models. Similar to what VW did with Seat and Audi etc.
    Seems the Defender will be the first one with this new shared platform perhaps
    Some car, some bike and two legs

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to hcs For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Langebaanweg
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,926
    Thanked: 1369

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    If I remember correctly the first Defender got it's chassis and drivetrain from the old Range Rover.

    So it might be a next evolutionary step.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    MTUNZINI
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,106
    Thanked: 602

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    I have heard from a "reliable Land Rover source" that had a peak at one, that it will be released in October at Paris motor show.
    Diesel engines from 132 kw to 200 kw all auto boxes
    Some models use air suspension, with a wading depth of 900 mm
    According to source , unmistakably a Defender, in shape, and a 130 is there as well.
    They are in production in Slovakia as we speak, but with great secrecy, no spy pics !
    Last edited by Koos Best; 2018/08/31 at 08:15 AM.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    4,589
    Thanked: 2483

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    Now that's some good news. Eagerly awaiting my D4's successor.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,000
    Thanked: 16462

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    I predict a starting price around R1m.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    4,589
    Thanked: 2483

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I predict a starting price around R1m.
    ....which will be a BIG mistake of Land Rover. They absolutely have to price it in line with the top end Fortuners and Everests, ie R700k odd.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fourways
    Age
    37
    Posts
    993
    Thanked: 435

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Now that's some good news. Eagerly awaiting my D4's successor.
    My thoughts exactly
    Rob,

    D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,000
    Thanked: 16462

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    ....which will be a BIG mistake of Land Rover. They absolutely have to price it in line with the top end Fortuners and Everests, ie R700k odd.
    Yes and no.

    I predict more aimed at the LC76 and lower end Prado (current prices R750k to R850k), and remember that all pricing will be higher by launch time. JLR doesn't care about budget utility vehicles any more: this will be a very tech-forward vehicle.

    So based on CURRENT prices, around R800k, neatly plugging the hole between the D5 and the Disco Sport.

    Even the JL Wrangler will be just under R1m.

    But I'm willing to give you a beer if I'm wrong.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  15. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,462
    Thanked: 175

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I predict a starting price around R1m.

    Yeah I agree - more or less in line with the Wrangler JL V6 diesel

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou07 For This Useful Post:


  17. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,000
    Thanked: 16462

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou07 View Post
    Yeah I agree - more or less in line with the Wrangler JL V6 diesel
    Zigackly, and as per my last post
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hermanus
    Age
    60
    Posts
    962
    Thanked: 490

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Yes and no.

    I predict more aimed at the LC76 and lower end Prado (current prices R750k to R850k), and remember that all pricing will be higher by launch time. JLR doesn't care about budget utility vehicles any more: this will be a very tech-forward vehicle.

    So based on CURRENT prices, around R800k, neatly plugging the hole between the D5 and the Disco Sport.

    Even the JL Wrangler will be just under R1m.

    But I'm willing to give you a beer if I'm wrong.
    I will give a six pack if it's around R500 k

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,000
    Thanked: 16462

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    I will give a six pack if it's around R500 k
    Your beer is safe. But I'll also give a 6-pack if it is under R700k list price.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  20. #16
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greenstone
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,332
    Thanked: 405

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Yes and no.

    I predict more aimed at the LC76 and lower end Prado (current prices R750k to R850k), and remember that all pricing will be higher by launch time. JLR doesn't care about budget utility vehicles any more: this will be a very tech-forward vehicle.

    So based on CURRENT prices, around R800k, neatly plugging the hole between the D5 and the Disco Sport.

    Even the JL Wrangler will be just under R1m.

    But I'm willing to give you a beer if I'm wrong.

    I concur, Land Rover will continue the drive up market and will be priced as such.

    Budget utility is not where the money is and as a business they build what sells in the States, Europe and China not what South Africans with no money want.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:


  22. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    FOURWAYS GARDENS
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,952
    Thanked: 444

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    I have heard from a "reliable Land Rover source" that had a peak at one, that it will be released in October at Paris motor show.
    Diesel engines from 132 kw to 200 kw all auto boxes
    Some models use air suspension, with a wading depth of 900 mm
    According to source , unmistakably a Defender, in shape, and a 130 is there as well.
    They are in production in Slovakia as we speak, but with great secrecy, no spy pics !
    Koos
    Hi, wow you have obviously been talking to a DP who was on the conference in Portugal.

    I have just come back 3 weeks ago from a tour of the Jaguar Land Rover plant at Lode Lane Solihull which I will be posting a trip report on soon.
    An absolute mind blasting experience.
    You are quite correct in a lot of aspects except the new "Defender" as you said.
    is going to be manufactured in Slovakia and production is only going to start in 14 months time, right now they are busy tooling up. Model code is 663 and will once in production will become L663. The new Discovery will also be manufactured in Slovakia basically freeing up space at Solihull which has two assembly lines each producing a car every 85 seconds, that s two cars every 85 seconds. 24 hours a day 6 days a week and most time 7 days a week. Every car produced is ordered and paid for.

    I very much doubt the New "Defender" will be launched in October at the Paris motor show it will be great if it is true but bad luck for all those people hanging onto the heritage HUE166 hoping to sell for R1.2 million, I dont know just my thought.

    89% of all cars produced are left hand drive of which most of the production goes to the US market and I imagine at least the first two years of the "Defender" production will go to the US as they have not imported a new "Defender" since 1995.

    The shroud of secrecy is so strong and amazing everybody is mum and insist that the new Defender does not exist but with I ascertained from a couple of sources that it will look very similar to the old icon with a taint of Galendarwagon on the nose.
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone) One of the worst in the world. Farmers Lives Matter
    Peter Street AKA The Great White Induna as bestowed on to Dr Jameson by Lobengula for curing his gout.
    Land Rover Disco V TD6 HSE full house 2019 Loving it
    Land Rover Disco IV SDV6 8spd HSE 2013 Sold
    Land Rover Disco III TDV6 HSE 2008 written off by a Donky
    Land Rover Disco II face lift 2004 XS TD5 sold (The inspiration to start Landyworx)
    Land Rover Disco II 2002 XS traded on above
    Many other different Landies, Defenders, Rangie's, Freelander's and series

  23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tgwinduna For This Useful Post:


  24. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    590
    Thanked: 335

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    So it will look like a venture then?
    even if it does launch, I wont be able to buy $$$. I'll just safe up for a cummins in the meantime.

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,000
    Thanked: 16462

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakkals. View Post
    I'll just safe up for a cummins in the meantime.
    Somebody claimed R38k for the 2.8 Cummins with ECU on another thread?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  26. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,198
    Thanked: 1059

    Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    I have heard from a "reliable Land Rover source" that had a peak at one, that it will be released in October at Paris motor show.
    Diesel engines from 132 kw to 200 kw all auto boxes
    Some models use air suspension, with a wading depth of 900 mm
    According to source , unmistakably a Defender, in shape, and a 130 is there as well.
    They are in production in Slovakia as we speak, but with great secrecy, no spy pics !
    Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    Koos
    Hi, wow you have obviously been talking to a DP who was on the conference in Portugal.

    I have just come back 3 weeks ago from a tour of the Jaguar Land Rover plant at Lode Lane Solihull which I will be posting a trip report on soon.
    An absolute mind blasting experience.
    You are quite correct in a lot of aspects except the new "Defender" as you said.
    is going to be manufactured in Slovakia and production is only going to start in 14 months time, right now they are busy tooling up. Model code is 663 and will once in production will become L663. The new Discovery will also be manufactured in Slovakia basically freeing up space at Solihull which has two assembly lines each producing a car every 85 seconds, that s two cars every 85 seconds. 24 hours a day 6 days a week and most time 7 days a week. Every car produced is ordered and paid for.

    I very much doubt the New "Defender" will be launched in October at the Paris motor show it will be great if it is true but bad luck for all those people hanging onto the heritage HUE166 hoping to sell for R1.2 million, I dont know just my thought.

    89% of all cars produced are left hand drive of which most of the production goes to the US market and I imagine at least the first two years of the "Defender" production will go to the US as they have not imported a new "Defender" since 1995.

    The shroud of secrecy is so strong and amazing everybody is mum and insist that the new Defender does not exist but with I ascertained from a couple of sources that it will look very similar to the old icon with a taint of Galendarwagon on the nose.
    I also spoke to some one who saw the new Defender and who was at the "secret conference".

    I got the same message: "Will be new, more luxurious and will be full of all the nice goodies to make it super capable but will have strong resemblance to the current Defender".

Page 1 of 212 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 51 101 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •