Is this it? - Page 167

Page 167 of 196 FirstFirst ... 67 117 142 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 192 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,340 of 3902

Thread: Is this it?

Default Re: Is this it?

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    The fact remains , is there a market in the WORLD for the old Defender . The short answer is no ,
    The answer is yes, of course. Else Toyota would not be selling the LC70 series, Jeep would not be selling the wrangler.

Unless the Grenadier proves me wrong , but somehow I do not see that happening .
    The market is there. They perhaps need to do a little product differentiation or some other marketing trickery to get enterprise LC70 series customers. Like the UN.

Thereís a time for everything and the old Defender was great , but it had its time . The shortfall on a vehicle like that is just to big
    I don't think the time for those types of trucks is over. It's just a one manufacturer has monopolized that market due perhaps to the reliability, dependability and endurance of its products. Something the Defender certainly seemed to lack.

Some part of me doesnít want this new Defender to sell well just because of Land Rovers insistence on making things over technological or trying to conform to the latest fashion statement.

The new D5 is a good step forward from the D4 expect it kind of looks like a fortuner and doesnít have the same boot space. Looking rugged and being able to cart lots of stuff should be somewhere near the top of Land Rovers priority list.

The new defenders boot space is tiny compared to the old one, why would a new expedition vehicle have less space than its predecessor. Admittedly the 900kg payload without sagging is pretty impressive, where youíll put all that weight is another question.

Lastly the radiators (dont know if these are GB coolers or AC radiator) mounted in the bumper in front of the front tyres baffles me. Thats the position they choose on there most off-road worthy vehicle.....

The new Defender is a brilliant discovery and Im sure it will be more reliable than most modern land rovers, but defender it is not.

Rant over.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85
    LROC member:5881

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW F800GS

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

The fact remains , is there a market in the WORLD for the old Defender . The short answer is no , unless the Grenadier proves me wrong , but somehow I do not see that happening . Thereís a time for everything and the old Defender was great , but it had its time . The shortfall on a vehicle like that is just to big
    You are very very wrong.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I am one considering moving from a Discovery 3 to the 2020 (2023?) Defender. I have done 300 000 hard/rough kilometres with the Discovery 3 so far.

The following seems to be applicable.

- The Diesel engines have been around and are used widely by JLR for several years.
    - I am a big fan of the air suspension. I am of the opinion that it is more robust than most people will acknowledge. The Defender uses the latest systems that are 15/20 years in production.
    - The driveshafts and suspension arms/bushes have been upgraded on the Defender (according to JLR). The front lower arms and bushes of the Disco does not last 100 000kms the rear is better.
    - The Defender gives the impression of durability on the inside.

Seeing it in the flesh:

- I can easily live with it - inside and outside
    - Boot space is less than the old Defender and Discovery. The Defender still has ample space and will work for me.
    - The biggest surprise - the size of the wheels. I have done many a trip with the Disco 3 on 255/60/18 tyres (30"). The Defender is standard 32". 255/70/18 is better than most comparable SUV's.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Etn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Etn View Post
    I am one considering moving from a Discovery 3 to the 2020 (2023?) Defender. I have done 300 000 hard/rough kilometres with the Discovery 3 so far.
    If you use D3 frequently in 7-seat mode then you may want to either wait for the new 130 or get the D5.

The rear most seats in new defender are useless.

https://www.cars.co.za/mobile/for-sa...erton/6130449/
    I see the dealers started to advertise them. You must really have a lot of money to take a R1.2bar vehicle into the bush.
    Willie Knoetze

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    I see the dealers started to advertise them. You must really have a lot of money to take a R1.2bar vehicle into the bush.
    Indeed.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Obviously reading some comments about how this new Defender is a moms taxi, soft roader, mall crawler etc, the info from Land Rover is not correct.

The extreme monocoque chassis, is not up to it, because its the stiffest chassis ever made, much more than the old

It's winching capacity of 6 ton lateral force is too little, even if it is the most of any vehicle?

It's more heavy duty suspension bushes is also not good enough, even as rated the most heavy duty ever?

Air suspension, that can take up to a 7 ton load, is too weak?

IP67 rating for every electric, electronic, even for infotainment thing on the vehicle, like no other on the market is not good, maybe because it can only be submerged for an hour without damage is not long enough

The only vehicle that have a 900 mm wading depth as standard without a snorkel aid.
    Designers tell you if you cross a river, and you loose traction, open the doors and flood the vehicle for better traction, maybe they are lying?

Only vehicle that is satellite connected to the manufacturer, doesn't matter where you are in the world that can be reset or diagnosed and solved via the connection, is not good enough, because maybe you are in a basement car park without connection.

Only vehicle that needs no aftermarket stuff fitted to it like others, to make it a real off roader to carry a load

O yes, and one of the safest on the road

Bloody softy this new Defender,its like a smart phone,

I was told stay away from D3, cant service it yourselves,man I can service it much better than any agent in SA. Its still an internal combustion engine, a normal auto box, normal diffs, normal brakes etc etc
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

Perspective. You can take a Puma, add a decent engine and gearbox, pimp it like an AMG Gelandewagen with diff locks everywhere and leather and 7.1 hifi with a double DIN radio GPS and have change left from R500k.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Price is exorbitant high, have to admit
    Koos Best

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Perspective. You can take a Puma, add a decent engine and gearbox, pimp it like an AMG Gelandewagen with diff locks everywhere and leather and 7.1 hifi with a double DIN radio GPS and have change left from R500k.
    Fact, roll it or even a small accident and you dead and your family
    Koos Best

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    Obviously reading some comments about how this new Defender is a moms taxi, soft roader, mall crawler etc, the info from Land Rover is not correct.

The extreme monocoque chassis, is not up to it, because its the stiffest chassis ever made, much more than the old

It's winching capacity of 6 ton lateral force is too little, even if it is the most of any vehicle?

It's more heavy duty suspension bushes is also not good enough, even as rated the most heavy duty ever?

IP67 rating for every electric, electronic, even for infotainment thing on the vehicle, like no other on the market is not good, maybe because it can only be submerged for an hour without damage is not long enough

The only vehicle that have a 900 mm wading depth as standard without a snorkel aid.
    Designers tell you if you cross a river, and you loose traction, open the doors and flood the vehicle for better traction, maybe they are lying?

Only vehicle that is satellite connected to the manufacturer, doesn't matter where you are in the world that can be reset or diagnosed and solved via the connection, is not good enough, because maybe you are in a basement car park without connection.

Only vehicle that needs no aftermarket stuff fitted to it like others, to make it a real off roader to carry a load

I was told stay away from D3, cant service it yourselves,man I can service it much better than any agent in SA. Its still an internal combustion engine, a normal auto box, normal diffs, normal brakes etc etc
    Dis nou die beste tong in die kies antwoord wat ek in 'n lang tyd gelees het. Soos jy voorwaar uitwys, die nuwe "Fender'tjie" is 'n regte softy......NIE!!!
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

Time will tell. The write up on my Cat S60 was also very good and had IP68 rating only to get water damaged in the spray from vic falls. Problem is when it gets older and people don't do maintenance correctly and don't refit panels and clips back like they were before.

Another thing is when you push it past those limits how does it end? The old Defender could be fixed the new one will be written off. Major difference

It is very tough for a SUV I am sure but to use the D3 as an example probably doesn't help your case as they worthless now.
    Last edited by Byron; 2020/07/08 at 09:02 PM.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

Yes cool stuff no problem.

Why is it so darn expensive twice the old defender if it was really a defender replacement

Fact, roll it or even a small accident and you dead and your family
    At R500k you'll be sure I'll install a decent internal roll cage.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

What I find absolutely amazing is the almost 6000 replies on the two treads covering this subject.

What other model launch evoked so much emotions.....none. In fact LR absolutely dominates this forum.

Yes, I get it, half of the replies are anti LR but itís much like telling voters how little sense it makes to vote Trump, it just drives firm determination to do so.

All I can say is I canít wait to get mine...and hell yes itís going way off the beaten track.

First things first, lets get past Covid.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zapiture For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    Yes, I get it, half of the replies are anti LR but itís much like telling voters how little sense it makes to vote Trump, it just drives firm determination to do so.
    Well well well...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    The answer is yes, of course. Else Toyota would not be selling the LC70 series, Jeep would not be selling the wrangler.

The market is there. They perhaps need to do a little product differentiation or some other marketing trickery to get enterprise LC70 series customers. Like the UN.

I don't think the time for those types of trucks is over. It's just a one manufacturer has monopolized that market due perhaps to the reliability, dependability and endurance of its products. Something the Defender certainly seemed to lack.
    The Defender where no allowed in most if not all the first world countryís . I can not see why LR would have decided to take it of the market if it was still financially liable. It was simply outdated . As far as a LC 70 goes it is a workhorse and not remotely suitable to take a long over landing expedition with family in comfort ( worse than a old Defender ) , and also not sold in the US and most of Europe . Jeep has nothing in the market that can be called a overlander
    Using Tapatalk

The Defender where no allowed in most if not all the first world countryís .
    Yes for the known reasons.
    JLR decided to not improve it much over its life.
    G-wagen was nearly old but MB made it relevant globally as it evolved.

As far as a LC 70 goes it is a workhorse and not remotely suitable to take a long over landing expedition with family in comfort ( worse than a old Defender ) ,
    Are thet that vastly different in comfort (or lack thereof)? I thought LC70 series is even better..?

Jeep has nothing in the market that can be called a overlander
    How bout the wrangler?

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Jeees I donít know what you guys are carrying on about What type of bush are we talking about . You can tow your boat, trailer, caravan etc , take it to the mall, holidays , drive it on the beach take it through Nam Bots, Moz etc without damaging it and have it as a daily . I see a lot of R1.2 bar vehicles doing just that . If you want to climb mountains obstacle courses , river challenges etc go and buy a cheapy and mess it up , Iím not gonna do that to even a R300k car
    Using Tapatalk