Is this it? - Page 130





Page 130 of 154 FirstFirst ... 30 80 105 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 3072

Thread: Is this it?

  1. #2581
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lonehill
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,477
    Thanked: 270

    Default Re: Is this it?

    How can you compare a Prado to an old Defender? Or am I reading wrong?
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

    Defender 130 Puma

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:


  3. #2582
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    55
    Posts
    135
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Irrelevant
    Last edited by onwards; 2020/03/16 at 05:52 PM.

  4. #2583
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Uitenhage
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,927
    Thanked: 470

    Default Re: Is this it?

    @Bruce

    It's not about the old Defender or how it's priced. You brought the old Defender in to the pricing discussion by making the comparison.

    It's about the pricing of the new one and how it's priced compared to other alternatives.

    I'm saying that the old Defender is not a good pricing benchmark, because the later models are over priced due to whatever reasons and because it is a very different type of vehicle.

    If someone were in the market for a New Defender what else could they consider and what do those vehicles cost?
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

  5. #2584
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lonehill
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,477
    Thanked: 270

    Default Re: Is this it?

    I bought it into the conversation after someone said the new was too expensive for a defender. So all I’m saying is, based on the old 2nd hand Defender pricing, the pricing of the new is not that bad.
    On one of my early posts I used some examples of similar priced vehicles on the Autotrader website.
    i do agree they are different vehicles with the new offering so much more.

    Based on all that’s going on in the world currently, I am having second thoughts about trading in the D5 on one. Maybe it’s more sensible to keep what I have. I’m waiting for final pricing then will decide.

    Anyway thanks for the thought provoking discussion.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/03/16 at 08:03 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

    Defender 130 Puma

  6. #2585
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    61
    Posts
    400
    Thanked: 108

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    Interesting the vehicle with the protective A-frame and the winch - but if you do a virtual build on the website - as soon as you add the A-frame they remove the winch.

  7. #2586
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lonehill
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,477
    Thanked: 270

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Yes I asked the question and they werenít sure but if you look on the accessories page on the website they say only available mid 2020
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

    Defender 130 Puma

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:


  9. #2587
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    61
    Posts
    400
    Thanked: 108

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Sjoe - a long thread from August 2018. Found this video very interesting from the Frankfurt Motor Show - an interview with one of the designers:

    https://youtu.be/rR601vW8dXw

  10. #2588
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Uitenhage
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,927
    Thanked: 470

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Based on all thatís going on in the world currently, I am having second thoughts about trading in the D5 on one. Maybe itís more sensible to keep what I have. Iím waiting for final pricing then will decide.
    That's what I would do if I were you. All you're doing if you buy the New Defender is chucking a whole lot of depreciation money down the drain.. a D5 and the New Defender are too similar for there to be any real benefit.

    It's your money though and your vehicle to drive. Sometimes we do things because just because we want to.

    So if you have that itch scratch it.

    Or spend that money on something else nice.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

  11. #2589
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    61
    Posts
    400
    Thanked: 108

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Depreciation always fascinated me - is it because the vehicle is overpriced as it stands on the floor? And that the depreciated value is then perhaps the real value of the vehicle? Think if JLR puts a basic 110 on the floor for say ZAR 750 000 - it would sell very well?

  12. #2590
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    MTUNZINI
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,044
    Thanked: 497

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sadi View Post
    Depreciation always fascinated me - is it because the vehicle is overpriced as it stands on the floor? And that the depreciated value is then perhaps the real value of the vehicle? Think if JLR puts a basic 110 on the floor for say ZAR 750 000 - it would sell very well?
    Say a D240 Std 110 , it will be a best seller at R750 000.00
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:


  14. #2591
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,443
    Thanked: 167

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sadi View Post
    Depreciation always fascinated me - is it because the vehicle is overpriced as it stands on the floor? And that the depreciated value is then perhaps the real value of the vehicle? Think if JLR puts a basic 110 on the floor for say ZAR 750 000 - it would sell very well?
    I think it just represents the value that some people place on a car being new... They are willing to pay 10-20% more for the same thing, just because they are the first ones to own it, so if you want to attract a buyer for a low mileage/demo model, that's the knock you need to take

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou07 For This Useful Post:


  16. #2592
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    180
    Thanked: 42

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    So I can either buy a New Safe Comfortable Defender with all the bells and whistles that will keep my family happy and safe for say just under R1.1mil or an old second hand Defender with around 50k kms on it that my family will not be safe in, will not be comfortable and have no service plan or warranty, that I would love due to its character and not its comfort for 500k/600k....
    Stil dont grasp why these are your options

    Why are your only two options a light truck that is out of production or a modern tech filled suv ? They dont fill the same purpose.

    Are you only after the badge on the front of the car?
    1996 300tdi Defender 110

    AND HE IS HERE TO DO SOME BUSINESS WITH A BIG IRON ON HIS HIP

  17. #2593
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    4,364
    Thanked: 2284

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    Say a D240 Std 110 , it will be a best seller at R750 000.00
    Where do I sign? I've been saying all along, price it slightly above the top of the range SUV market competitors (it is justifiably a better vehicle) and they'll be infiltrating the market like a certain virus. The S model should have been around R800k, going up to about R1.2m for the HSE. Still below the D5 and RR ranges. What they've effectively done now is sign the death warrant of the D5.
    Last edited by George; 2020/03/17 at 09:42 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:


  19. #2594
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Age
    10
    Posts
    1,826
    Thanked: 719

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Where do I sign? I've been saying along along, price it slightly above the top of the range SUV market competitors (it is justifiably a better vehicle) and they'll be infiltrating the market like a certain virus. The S model should have been around R800k, going up to about R1.2m for the HSE. Still below the D5 and RR ranges. What they've effectively done now is sign the death warrant of the D5.

    I bet these will be the 2nd hand prices for the demo models/first buyers in about a year/18 months
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic



    Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

    Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:


  21. #2595
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Nairobi
    Age
    42
    Posts
    664
    Thanked: 101

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Where do I sign? I've been saying along along, price it slightly above the top of the range SUV market competitors (it is justifiably a better vehicle) and they'll be infiltrating the market like a certain virus. The S model should have been around R800k, going up to about R1.2m for the HSE. Still below the D5 and RR ranges. What they've effectively done now is sign the death warrant of the D5.
    I will not be surprised for them to introduce cheaper stripped out versions along the way. The way everest started with its loaded models, then slowly introduced cheaper entry level versions.

    Like a cloth fabric non-air suspension 110 model a year down the road to compete with prado tx, fortuner, everest etc..

  22. #2596
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    4,364
    Thanked: 2284

    Default Re: Is this it?

    If it has solid axles yes. I wouldn't want an IFS suspension setup with coils and no terrain response.
    Last edited by George; 2020/03/17 at 09:43 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  23. #2597
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    MTUNZINI
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,044
    Thanked: 497

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    I will not be surprised for them to introduce cheaper stripped out versions along the way. The way everest started with its loaded models, then slowly introduced cheaper entry level versions.

    Like a cloth fabric non-air suspension 110 model a year down the road to compete with prado tx, fortuner, everest etc..
    Personally I would love an entry level model BUT must have air suspension, and terrain response
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:


  25. #2598
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    180
    Thanked: 42

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    If it has solid axles yes. I wouldn't want an IFS suspension setup with coils and no terrain response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    Personally I would love an entry level model BUT must have air suspension, and terrain response
    Good points , i have seen a disco 4 with coils and it really struggled with easy 4x4 obstacles , IFS/IRS suspension with coils perform really poorly in 4x4 applications.
    1996 300tdi Defender 110

    AND HE IS HERE TO DO SOME BUSINESS WITH A BIG IRON ON HIS HIP

  26. #2599
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Nairobi
    Age
    42
    Posts
    664
    Thanked: 101

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Where do I sign? I've been saying all along, price it slightly above the top of the range SUV market competitors (it is justifiably a better vehicle) and they'll be infiltrating the market like a certain virus. The S model should have been around R800k, going up to about R1.2m for the HSE. Still below the D5 and RR ranges. What they've effectively done now is sign the death warrant of the D5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Niela View Post
    Good points , i have seen a disco 4 with coils and it really struggled with easy 4x4 obstacles , IFS/IRS suspension with coils perform really poorly in 4x4 applications.
    True - only that most buyers of these beasts, and i suspect most is approx around 95%, just never take them off road, or to extreme off road situations.
    So, get a basic one with coils and equip it to a mom's basic needs, and price it near everest/fortuner/prado tx.

  27. #2600
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    4,364
    Thanked: 2284

    Default Re: Is this it?

    Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    True - only that most buyers of these beasts, and i suspect most is approx around 95%, just never take them off road, or to extreme off road situations.
    So, get a basic one with coils and equip it to a mom's basic needs, and price it near everest/fortuner/prado tx.
    I suppose it is difficult to justify the spec models without seeing them first. I would take the most basic version although would like the basic tech gizmos like the 10" screen and Android auto etc with perhaps one reverse camera. Leather seats also with small kids and being able to wipe of dirt. I'm not fussed with the 10 million cameras, weird aircon air purifiers, boom box sound system, mood lights, wireless charging, configurable terrain response, heads up display or rear view mirrors doing fancy stuff.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •