Is this it? - Page 184

Page 184 of 196 FirstFirst ... 84 134 159 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,680 of 3902

Thread: Is this it?

Default Re: Is this it?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMatt View Post
    I do believe Land Rover has lost sight of a very important part of their brand. Every time you see Lara Croft in a Landy. When you see the UN or some other Aid agency helping out flood victims or UNTAG or whatever other work in a faraway place makes the news your average Defender driver is reminded that he too could do that. No matter how many kerbs he jumps or Bush trips he misses he could if he wanted to. Like the guy in one of the first Outsurance adds who kits his Defender with his out bonus.

The Toyota drivers get the same thrill every time they see Somali warlords or Isis terrorists with the Machine gun fitted Hiluxes and Cruisers. It excites their inner bad boy and appeases the guilt over the appliance driving mundane approach to life.

Maybe not today but in around 10 years Land Rover will wonder why nobody is prepared to pay a premium for just another SUV that is no better than the X3 or Q5 next to it. The fact that if you wanted to all Land Rovers are capable of going into the bush caries more weight than Land Rover realizes. It is the reason that Jeep claims all their vehicles are trail rated. Also why despite the cost and small demand they have kept the Wrangler current. They know that without it the are just another American motors waiting to go under.
    Just as a note I've recently heard a stat that claimed Jeep sold more JK wranglers for 2006-2018 globally than land rover managed to sell Series / Defenders in their lifetime. Around 2 million.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85
    LROC member:5881

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    Just as a note I've recently heard a stat that claimed Jeep sold more JK wranglers for 2006-2018 globally than land rover managed to sell Series / Defenders in their lifetime. Around 2 million.
    Wranglers are rubbish.

- no PDC
    - no 360 degree camera view
    - no fancy air suspension
    - no unibody construction
    - no inflatable rear awning
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Wranglers are rubbish.

- no PDC
    - no 360 degree camera view
    - no fancy air suspension
    - no unibody construction
    - no inflatable rear awning
    , the new wrangler and for that matter the previous wranglers only downside was packing space and payload (I'll ignore the 2.8 CRD)

The G-wagon and Wrangler retained solid axles in a global market but apparently this is too tough for LR. The new defender should have had at least a solid rear axle for load carrying ability and flex. Land rover could have combined a lighter duty coil with air helpers. The front IFS could be a tolerable compromise.

I have digressed from the topic, the new defender will be a sublime discovery. I suspect a good few defender TOURING die-hards will eventually go buy the new defender and sing its praises. The larger market share lies with new buyers and previous discovery buyers.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85
    LROC member:5881

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I think everybody must just wait, these words are echoing the same words from years back.
    Indeed. Disco3/4s were apparently designed strictly for good quality tar roads. I guess similar for Fortuners, Prados, Pajeros et al.

Only camel men driving old Defenders (note Pumas didn't count either as they were fake apparently) counted as real offroaders and overlanders.

I suppose Kingsley Holgate is also a noob because he drove a Disco5. He better join the forum to learn the ropes from the keyboard masters.
    Last edited by George; 2020/08/14 at 02:51 PM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    , the new wrangler and for that matter the previous wranglers only downside was packing space and payload (I'll ignore the 2.8 CRD)

The G-wagon and Wrangler retained solid axles in a global market but apparently this is too tough for LR. The new defender should have had at least a solid rear axle for load carrying ability and flex. Land rover could have combined a lighter duty coil with air helpers. The front IFS could be a tolerable compromise.

I have digressed from the topic, the new defender will be a sublime discovery. I suspect a good few defender TOURING die-hards will eventually go buy the new defender and sing its praises. The larger market share lies with new buyers and previous discovery buyers.
    The G-wagen no longer has a SFA anymore

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DevonEllett For This Useful Post:

yep very difficult to apply face cream and make up (Cape Town crowd) whilst driving a solid axle, too much bouncing around, air suspension is the way to go.

Oh have you guys seen the new V neck T-shirt range at Truworths Man ?
    Last edited by BarryCH; 2020/08/14 at 02:57 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BarryCH For This Useful Post:

Friday afternoon fighting talk......

Ek is nie meer lus om te werk nie, en ek kan nie gaan drink en baklei in die bar nie, so nou soek ek maar moeilikheid op die forum
    Last edited by BarryCH; 2020/08/14 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I suppose Kingsley Holgate is also a noob because he drove a Disco5. He better join the forum to learn the ropes from the keyboard masters.
    Methinks Kingsley will recall that a 300TDi didn't need a support group. He'll also tell you that until LR dropped the Defender, all of his non-Defender expeditions had a support group with Defenders in it.........

But he won't say anything 'cos LR pays his wages.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BarryCH View Post
    yep very difficult to apply face cream and make up (Cape Town crowd) whilst driving a solid axle, too much bouncing around, air suspension is the way to go.

Oh have you guys seen the new V neck T-shirt range at Truworths Man ?
    epic dankie
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by dph View Post
    Well, one thing I've never quite understood, is why there are so many Defenders driving around Cape Town, but so few 7x-series Cruisers? Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture, but it seems like there are at least 3-4 Defenders for every Cruiser. The "Defender image" carries a lot of weight around these parts.
    Yeah, I've seen them too.........and almost all the drivers are wearing Patagonia puff jackets and North Face caps......the Defenders are weekend cars to pick up the Specialized S Works and grab a latte while the help washes the Q7/D5/X6.......
    Cape Town where most Wranglers sport stars........
    FJC - Just Cruising

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    He'll also tell you that until LR dropped the Defender...
    I can't quantify his thoughts, but did all his expeditions came to a grinding halt when the Defender stopped?
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Yeah, I've seen them too.........and almost all the drivers are wearing Patagonia puff jackets and North Face caps......the Defenders are weekend cars to pick up the Specialized S Works and grab a latte while the help washes the Q7/D5/X6.......
    Cape Town where most Wranglers sport stars........
    At least we don't wear two tone khaki shirts. It doesn't go well with our pink nails
    Last edited by George; 2020/08/14 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevonEllett View Post
    The G-wagen no longer has a SFA anymore
    True, but thankfully, it's not air sprung

Last edited by Orxy; 2020/08/14 at 07:56 PM.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    A Yaris would not leave the old defender in such a state

I can't quantify his thoughts, but did all his expeditions came to a grinding halt when the Defender stopped?
    All his expeditions still have defenders
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    So if you run into a stray animal you are coming back on a lowbed
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Kingsley Holgate is paid to say good things about Land Rover, he is their marketing tool.

Bet you he wouldn't drive a D5 with his own money.

I actually can't believe how easily people fall for marketing.

I'm going to buy a Toyota Hi-Lux and do the Dakar in it, because Giniel De Villiers drives them, and they even say Dakar on the side, so they must be able to do it.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2020/08/15 at 09:32 AM.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 VNTd5 ES

Page 56 of the latest Leisure Wheels.

That's a what a Defender was built for.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2020/08/15 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    We are all posers one way or the other.

Even the hardcore use described by a few here could be achieved with a used Mahindra bakkie....
    I am a huge fan of the Mahindra bakkies and the Scorpio. If I were to buy a double cab or bakkie for whatever purpose it would be on my short list whether it be for leisure or as a wokrhorse...it would be a suitable replacement for many of the things that the old Defender did well, it is well priced, simple, rugged.. an honest workhorse, but it has it's limitations and there are applications where the old Defender would be far better... as I've said before... you have to actually do it to understand.