Is this it? - Page 147

Page 147 of 162 FirstFirst ... 47 97 122 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 3238

Thread: Is this it?

Default Re: Is this it?

Thank you Mal Hannes. Iím still very undecided so have told the salesman whatever he can get sooner. That way I leave it for fate to decide.

[email protected] and Jelo

thanks fontain

have a good evening all. Thx for the Lekka chat.
    i leave you with this
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/04/08 at 08:03 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Thank you Mal Hannes. Iím still very undecided so have told the salesman whatever he can get sooner. That way I leave it for fate to decide.

[email protected] and Jelo

thanks fontain

have a good evening all. Thx for the Lekka chat.
    i leave you with this
    Does that photo mean it is home?
    Dashfibre: , Get Connected! If your complex wants fibre please contact us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Bruce what engine did you have in the D5?
    Dashfibre: , Get Connected! If your complex wants fibre please contact us.

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    ...new Devenders .
    Freudian slip.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post

No not yet unfortunately as now would be a perfect time to play with it.

I have the 6 cylinder diesel in the D5.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/04/09 at 08:44 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    No doubt vehicles work hard in the dunes but I don't see the FJ as a good overlander without there being a diesel option but each to their own. But we off topic, we will agree to disagree, let's stick to the Defender.
    You have no idea....sorry for you!!! Unless you have owned one then you are uninformed.

Talking about Defenders:..no modern vehicle will outlast the good old ones.
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    You have no idea....sorry for you!!! Unless you have owned one then you are uninformed.

Talking about Defenders:..no modern vehicle will outlast the good old ones.
    If one needs to own a vehicle to have a opinion or voice it , we might as well close the forum . Modern vehicles are in general much better and will outlast there older counterparts ( fact)
    Using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cor For This Useful Post:

2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Back to the pricing discussion:

I have just come across this pricing for the Jeep Wrangler from August 2019.
    Pricing:
    Jeep Wrangler 3,6 Sahara 4x4 (2-door): R860 000
    Jeep Wrangler 3,6 Rubicon 4x4 (2-door): R900 000
    Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3,6 Sahara 4x4 (4-door): R890 000
    Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3,6 Rubicon 4x4 (4-door): R915 000

That really is not far off of the New Defender pricing which starts at R948k for the 90 and R999k for the 110. Now I do understand the differences and if I were to modify the hell our of a 4x4 for heavy rock crawling stuff i would choose the Jeep over the New Defender but for Overlanding I would far rather have the Defender.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Back to the pricing discussion:

I have just come across this pricing for the Jeep Wrangler from August 2019.
    Pricing:
    Jeep Wrangler 3,6 Sahara 4x4 (2-door): R860 000
    Jeep Wrangler 3,6 Rubicon 4x4 (2-door): R900 000
    Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3,6 Sahara 4x4 (4-door): R890 000
    Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3,6 Rubicon 4x4 (4-door): R915 000

That really is not far off of the New Defender pricing which starts at R948k for the 90 and R999k for the 110. Now I do understand the differences and if I were to modify the hell our of a 4x4 for heavy rock crawling stuff i would choose the Jeep over the New Defender but for Overlanding I would far rather have the Defender.
    How many of the new JL Jeeps have you seen on the road? I have literally only seen 1. Why? It's a superior vehicle in every way to the JK. Only 1 reason why they're not selling - price too high.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanRoux View Post
    How many of the new JL Jeeps have you seen on the road? I have literally only seen 1. Why? It's a superior vehicle in every way to the JK. Only 1 reason why they're not selling - price too high.
    I dont know the difference between JL and JK but I see Wranglers quite often especially in Midrand and Fourways and hardly any are standard. Probably more than any other Jeep product. ................maybe the Jeep guys are all off road in Pta. (just kidding)

Point is the pricing is not far off the New Defender whether they selling or not is another debate..
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Quote Originally Posted by JohanRoux View Post
    yep, way too expensive and the target market now wants PDC, air suspension and a Cray computer on the dash.........so the JL is far too old school for most
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Thumbs up Re: Is this it?

If one needs to own a vehicle to have a opinion or voice it , we might as well close the forum . Modern vehicles are in general much better and will outlast there older counterparts ( fact)

I disagree in the sense that I believe your statement is true if you compare today's vehicles to those that were around in the 70s and 80s.

Many cars that came out in the 90s are still around and being driven today.

I think a happy measure was struck by some manufacturers at that time. Those cars already had ECUs and enough technology to make them comfortable.

The rav4 being a good example: the mk 1s are the most trouble free of all. This is very noticeable in poor countries where lifespan of a vehicle matters.

A 1996 rav4 is more expensive, on the second hand market , than a mk 2 rav from the early 2000, in subsaharan Africa.

People talk to each other and they know what lasts and what doesn't.

If you buy cars new, drive them under warranty and sell and upgrade after 3 years, like Jelo said in an earlier post, then anything will do great.

If I was in that financial position, to hell with my old Hilux, I would be driving supercharged Range Rovers for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    yep, way too expensive and the target market now wants PDC, air suspension and a Cray computer on the dash.........so the JL is far too old school for most
    Enter, the new Defender.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - mods list to be updated [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

17. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

how do you justify that statement about owning a vehicle? Wow, so an uninformed opinion counts? I make a point of never commenting on something unless I have first hand experience.

I have never owned a D5 so cannot comment on reliability or how good it is etc. only guys like Bruce, Regard have firsthand knowledge of these.

I would feel like an idiot saying the D5 is not a good overland vehicle!!!

I have owned many other LR's and can comment on them.

i could go on. In any case what defines 'overland'? For me it is the vehicle that gets me there and back and allows me to enjoy camping, the bush etc.
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    how do you justify that statement about owning a vehicle? Wow, so an uninformed opinion counts? I make a point of never commenting on something unless I have first hand experience.

I have never owned a D5 so cannot comment on reliability or how good it is etc. only guys like Bruce, Regard have firsthand knowledge of these.

I would feel like an idiot saying the D5 is not a good overland vehicle!!!

I have owned many other LR's and can comment on them.

i could go on. In any case what defines 'overland'? For me it is the vehicle that gets me there and back and allows me to enjoy camping, the bush etc.
    I disagree. Just because someone has never owned or driven something, does not mean they have no knowledge of systems or techniques or characteristics of that thing. The driver or owner, on the other hand, might not even know that (for instance) his or her vehicle has disk brakes on the rear axle instead of drum brakes, and the pro's and cons of each.

And I agree with Cor: we all should be able to comment without first hand experience of the specifics. Though we should ideally give informed opinion, and we (and everyone, in fact) should be clear that our opinions are just that: opinions. Some will present their opinion as being more relevant than others, and thats just human. The task of the others is to recognise the perspective (and personality....) of the opinion-giver and choose their reactions.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zoneout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    I disagree in the sense that I believe your statement is true if you compare today's vehicles to those that were around in the 70s and 80s.

I think a happy measure was struck by some manufacturers at that time. Those cars already had ECUs and enough technology to make them comfortable.

The rav4 being a good example: the mk 1s are the most trouble free of all. This is very noticeable in poor countries where lifespan of a vehicle matters.

A 1996 rav4 is more expensive, on the second hand market , than a mk 2 rav from the early 2000, in subsaharan Africa.

If you buy cars new, drive them under warranty and sell and upgrade after 3 years, like Jelo said in an earlier post, then anything will do great.

If I was in that financial position, to hell with my old Hilux, I would be driving supercharged Range Rovers for sure!
    Very valid points, but modern cars in GENERAL will outlast there predecessor , most cars should last roundabout 10 years ,were only a selective few cars in the 90ths was able to achieve that , biggest problem now is running costs and knowledge specially in our economical climate . Most descent 4X4 ,s is near the million, and to repair after warranty is expensive ,no matter what type or model .
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post

True.
    In Eastern Africa, it's MK1 RAV4s galore. Plus Land Cruiser 100 especially the 4.7v8 and the Prado 90 series 2.7 and 3.4 petrol.

The various governments have now imposed restrictions on used car importation age, hence the Prado 120s in 2.7 and 3.4 petrol guise are all doing duty. The MK2 RAV4 not common.

Occasionally you find some D3 or D4 but usually government owned. Majority make shift garages are filled with immobilized Range Rovers, Freelanders and Volvos. Oh and many BMWs and Audi's.

Gives you a rough answer to the notion of older cars (specific brands though) especially those in 90s being reliable, probably more reliable than their replacements.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Enter, the new Defender.
    yep, just perfect for the Millenials that grew up thinking exercise was sitting in front an X-Box.........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    yep, just perfect for the Millenials that grew up thinking exercise was sitting in front an X-Box.........
    OK boomer.

At least Millenials will be buying cars for the next few decades, you're more likely to be pushing daisies
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ