Is this it? - Page 6

Page 6 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 31 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this it?

Default Re: Is this it?

The disguise is quite smart and in all likelihood gives a total different perspective on the vehicle, apart from the overall lines. I think that bonnet clips are just cosmetic to make you think.

This looks very much to what was said years ago - take a D3/D4 type body and make a rugged / more basic version of it, with some carry over reminders from the "old" Defender (ie the rear door), while still ticking the safety and 21st century creature comfort boxes. I'd sign up for something like a cross between a D4 and the new Suzuki Jimny.

They mention a starting price of around R600k, but with import taxes etc we'll probably look at R700k for a base model, going up to probably R900k for the pavement version.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

No way I'd take that thing across the border.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

does not look like it will be able to adapt to production derivatives. The days of a 90, 110 and 130 option look bleak, as do the options of a load bin or cargo carrier
    Defender 110 - 300tdi

If the good lord put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things before I die, I am so far behind I will never die!

I would also presume that it wont be easily serviceable in the field or have a PTO facility
    Defender 110 - 300tdi

If the good lord put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things before I die, I am so far behind I will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Buxton View Post
    does not look like it will be able to adapt to production derivatives. The days of a 90, 110 and 130 option look bleak, as do the options of a load bin or cargo carrier
    In fact it will have a modular chassis to go from 90 to 100 to 110 to 130 wheelbases. But it will still look like a dogs breakfast.
    Percivamus

A ifs, 2.0 diesel with a auto box would be very sensible. But making a defender sensible is stupid, they are about character and feel. Land rover has caught some of this in their other models through seating position and styling. Lets hope the new defender at least looks the part.

I for one think picking the right line and gear is part of the experience and fun factor. Automatic everything gets real boring real quickly.
    Last edited by pjf110; 2018/10/03 at 04:58 PM.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

Interesting to note that its left hand drive. The overhangs also look really good for off-roading. I so hope I will be eating lots and lots of humble pie when they release the final version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new def 1.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	504347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new landy 2.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	504348  
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

I wonder if LR has any aspirations of selling to military customers anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by dph View Post
    I wonder if LR has any aspirations of selling to military customers anymore?
    Doubt it that market has been taken over by purpose built vehicles.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Regard View Post

The ones here who moan about IFS and airsuspension and, and....have never owned a vehicle like a D4 or D5.
    Or we have... and found that for our specific application it was too complicated, expensive and not as robust...

If the Defender is going to be a squared-off D4 or similar. Why do they bother? They already sell such vehicles. Why don't they just scrap the Defender all together?

Or are people so stubbornly model loyal that they will buy a Defender if it looks a little like a Defender but it is actually nothing like one.

I reccomend you first drive such a vehicle before criticising.
    Some of us just don't see the point of even considering something that costs double the price of something else that does the same thing.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2018/10/04 at 09:50 AM.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    Or we have... and found that for our specific application it was too complicated, expensive and not as robust...

If the Defender is going to be a squared-off D4 or similar. Why do they bother? They already sell such vehicles. Why don't they just scrap the Defender all together?

Or are people so stubbornly model loyal that they will buy a Defender if it looks a little like a Defender but it is actually nothing like one.

Some of us just don't see the point of even considering something that costs double the price of something else that does the same thing.
    I owe you SEVERAL beers. It is like you're stealing stuff out my head.
    Percivamus

I think when all the plastic come off we will be surprised.

I am sure that bonnet is not even close to what the final one will look like. It is very build up and I have "info" that it will be "stepped-in"/have fenders like the old bonnet...obviously just more modern.

There will also a step at the shoulders like the old one (just above the door handles, were it is so build op under the windows).

The roof will also be different. It will have the "ribbing" as on the old roof and apparently also gutters.

Spare will go back on the rear on the final car...apparently.

I think when all the plastic come off we will be surprised.

I am sure that bonnet is not even close to what the final one will look like. It is very build up and I have "info" that it will be "stepped-in"/have fenders like the old bonnet...obviously just more modern.

There will also a step at the shoulders like the old one (just above the door handles, were it is so build op under the windows).

The roof will also be different. It will have the "ribbing" as on the old roof and apparently also gutters.

Spare will go back on the rear on the final car...apparently.
    doesn't matter how they dress up a pig, it stays a pig
    Percivamus

Amazing how assumptions can be made about something we, quite frankly, no almost nothing about.
    Speculation before even having any facts..
    Some car, some bike and two legs

All fine.

But why the heck hang around here and diss a product you have no interest in??

I have absolutely no interest in any Toyota or Nissan product....so you will notice that I have never posted anything in those sub-forums. I do not wait for any thread to start in one of those and then keep on posting my "I told you so" and "Yes they are ugly" and "Yes they get stolen" etc, etc...comments.

Easy!

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    doesn't matter how they dress up a pig, it stays a pig
    Exactly how I feel about most nasty Japanese products...and that is why I ignore those threads and don't waste my time there...

All fine.

I have absolutely no interest in any Toyota or Nissan product....so you will notice that I have never posted anything in those sub-forums. I do not wait for any thread to start in one of those and then keep on posting my "I told you so" and "Yes they are ugly" and "Yes they get stolen" etc, etc...comments.

Easy!
    as previous and current owners of the Defender, we can hang around and comment, and will continue to do so even after LR has launched the New "DefenDisco".
    Percivamus

All fine.

Easy!
    So only positive opinions of a product, or ones that agree with Regard, are acceptable?

And besides, where did I dis the product?

Also I have an interest in Defender, I've owned 6 over a period of around 20 years, and they've all served me well, which is why it is quite sad to me that it seems, based on the information in the public domain, that Defender is no more, even if there may be some Defender looking vehicle driving around with a Defender badge on the bonnet.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2018/10/04 at 10:37 AM.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

So only positive opinions of a product, or ones that agree with Regard, are acceptable?
    Sounds like it buddy.
    Percivamus

And besides, where did I dis the product?

Also I have an interest in Defender, I've owned 6 over a period of around 20 years, and they've all served me well, which is why it is quite sad to me that it seems, based on the information in the public domain, that Defender is no more, even if there may be some Defender looking vehicle driving around with a Defender badge on the bonnet.
    I agree!

The new Defender is of interest to any 4x4 owner or enthusiast, and, this thread is posted in a public forum with 4x4 owners and enthusiasts, and thus open for public opinion......

If the public's opinion does not fit into the narrow minded views of some Land Rover owners then tough.

Unfortunately, that is a bed Land Rover has made for themselves.
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2018/10/04 at 11:06 AM.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Page 6 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 31 56 ... LastLast