Is this it? - Page 20

Page 20 of 155 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 45 70 120 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this it?

Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

Very interesting video, taken while the test vehicle was at Moab

Last edited by Orxy; 2019/04/09 at 04:03 PM.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Default Re: Is this it?

Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:

Man the suspense is killing me. My D4 is eagerly awaiting its successor.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

So, it will be better then, than "Trail Raited"

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    can't argue with the guy
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

The more I see of the new "Defender" the more obvious it becomes that it is being made to re-take the gap in the market lost due to the increase in price of the Disco 5. It will be a good vehicle, but it definitely won't have Defender character. I hope to be proven wrong, but this seems less and less likely as time goes by.
    Any minority that advocates for gun control is either wilfully ignorant, or has never opened a history book.

The problem with collective punishment - is that sooner or later you're part of the collective.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    can't argue with the guy
    I can, he is delusional, a real nutter.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by BluePaj View Post
    The more I see of the new "Defender" the more obvious it becomes that it is being made to re-take the gap in the market lost due to the increase in price of the Disco 5. It will be a good vehicle, but it definitely won't have Defender character. I hope to be proven wrong, but this seems less and less likely as time goes by.
    precisely

just another over technical mall crawler
    Percivamus

precisely

just another over technical mall crawler
    Kom nou Jelo , ek is seker dieselfde is gese toe die eerste kar met n elektriese knormoer uitgekom het . Ek en jy sal net moet leer om die nuwe goed in die bos reg te maak want die feit is nuut is beter . Onthou die dae toe ons bostoe is met valiant s en chefs en vw se enjin oor doen op pad kaap toe want die goed kon nie heen en weer met een motor . Vandag ry ons gou kaap toe en terug sonder om eers die water na te gaan ( selfs met n Land Rover ) Ek vir een kan nie wag vir die nuwe defender om oud te word sodat ek hom ook kan bekostig . In tussen vat ek my D3 mall crawler maar bos toe want ook daar is hy die beste , selfs beter as die ou defender
    Using Tapatalk

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cor For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Kom nou Jelo , ek is seker dieselfde is gese toe die eerste kar met n elektriese knormoer uitgekom het . Ek en jy sal net moet leer om die nuwe goed in die bos reg te maak want die feit is nuut is beter . Onthou die dae toe ons bostoe is met valiant s en chefs en vw se enjin oor doen op pad kaap toe want die goed kon nie heen en weer met een motor . Vandag ry ons gou kaap toe en terug sonder om eers die water na te gaan ( selfs met n Land Rover ) Ek vir een kan nie wag vir die nuwe defender om oud te word sodat ek hom ook kan bekostig . In tussen vat ek my D3 mall crawler maar bos toe want ook daar is hy die beste , selfs beter as die ou defender
    let's just agree to disagree
    Percivamus

Welcome to the 21st century. Like the old SA, stop longing for what's a bygone era and embrace the present before you miss that. No modern vehicle is without electronics and modern technologies; why would a Defender be different?
    Last edited by George; 2019/04/10 at 07:46 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Welcome to the 21st century. Like the old SA, stop longing for what's a bygone era and embrace the present before you miss that. No modern vehicle is without electronics and modern technologies; why would a Defender be different?
    Personally I don't have an issue with putting tech into the new Defender, they can do a basic model for those who don't want it, but for 99% of users the added tech would be welcome.

The problem is they appear to be making a budget Disco wrt to styling, tech and capability instead of making a distinct separate vehicle like the Wrangler and the G Wagon.
    Any minority that advocates for gun control is either wilfully ignorant, or has never opened a history book.

The problem with collective punishment - is that sooner or later you're part of the collective.

The problem is they appear to be making a budget Disco wrt to styling, tech and capability instead of making a distinct separate vehicle like the Wrangler and the G Wagon.
    exactly

they are adding tech for the sake of marketing, not for the sake of requirements

And 20 inch wheels? WTF? how fast do they want to make this thing that they need those calipers?

So the people who buy this POS will be the people who can't do without their DStv, iMac, iPhone, WiFi and bar fridge with ice maker for the G&T with canapes for 2 days in the bush. In other words, the wannabes.
    Percivamus

Personally I don't have an issue with putting tech into the new Defender, they can do a basic model for those who don't want it, but for 99% of users the added tech would be welcome.
    Spending money on designing a vehicle for that 1% is simply not viable in any book.

They obviously want to have the new version aligned with the looks of their other modern vehicles, but I think they will add some key traditional Defender styling reminding of the old version. Like we said 10 years ago, the D3/4 shape should have been the new Defender (and there were rumors that it was intended as such, but someone veto'd the decision and made it a Discovery), and I think that is essentially what they're doing now - taking a D4 shape, modernizing it a bit with the latest technologies, altering the curves slightly and adding some Defender styling.

I personally will love a modernized D4 that has some more rugged features. I need a replacement for my D4 and nothing else tickles my fancy.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

Considering that my non-tech Puma has been in workshops for the better part of a year with a drivetrain vibration, and that over the past weekend I drove from Stellenbosch to Grahamstown and back (1700km) without so much as checking tyre pressures in the Rangie, I'll have a modern, safe, and reliable LR any day over a donkey cart.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

So the people who buy this POS will be the people who can't do without their DStv, iMac, iPhone, WiFi and bar fridge with ice maker for the G&T with canapes for 2 days in the bush. In other words, the wannabes.
    Thats me :-)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to oradba69 For This Useful Post:

So funny these pots calling the kettles black

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    Thats me :-)
    "It targets customers from upper-class social group, Professionals & Executives from rich families as these are the people for whom Land Rover will be affordable. It uses selective targeting strategy."

" the typical Land Rover owner is “”an active male, high net worth demographic between the ages of 34-54.” The Range Rover, in particular, has an impressive owner demographic: A college graduate, a professional or executive male who earns around $375,000 annually."

So now we know who Land Rover wants as New Defender owners.

So I think we can put the idea that the New Defender will be a car for the average income person to bed: that is no longer the target market.
    Percivamus

"It targets customers from upper-class social group, Professionals & Executives from rich families as these are the people for whom Land Rover will be affordable. It uses selective targeting strategy."

" the typical Land Rover owner is “”an active male, high net worth demographic between the ages of 34-54.” The Range Rover, in particular, has an impressive owner demographic: A college graduate, a professional or executive male who earns around $375,000 annually."
    So you saying you're not one of us?
    Last edited by George; 2019/04/10 at 11:55 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Page 20 of 155 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 45 70 120 ... LastLast