Is this it? - Page 168

Page 168 of 196 FirstFirst ... 68 118 143 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 193 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 3903

Thread: Is this it?

Default Re: Is this it?

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Perspective. You can take a Puma, add a decent engine and gearbox, pimp it like an AMG Gelandewagen with diff locks everywhere and leather and 7.1 hifi with a double DIN radio GPS and have change left from R500k.
    And if your in a accident your dead
    Using Tapatalk

At R500k you'll be sure I'll install a decent internal roll cage.
    And all the other safety futures that you can’t , crumbling zones etc? .
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Yes for the known reasons.
    JLR decided to not improve it much over its life.
    G-wagen was nearly old but MB made it relevant globally as it evolved.

Are thet that vastly different in comfort (or lack thereof)? I thought LC70 series is even better..?

How bout the wrangler?
    Not in your live, coil springs in the LR made it much more comfortable , Wrangler is a wannabe overlander , how many do you actually see doing this . Bloody nice to look at with oversized wheels though
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    Obviously reading some comments about how this new Defender is a moms taxi, soft roader, mall crawler etc, the info from Land Rover is not correct.

The extreme monocoque chassis, is not up to it, because its the stiffest chassis ever made, much more than the old

It's winching capacity of 6 ton lateral force is too little, even if it is the most of any vehicle?

It's more heavy duty suspension bushes is also not good enough, even as rated the most heavy duty ever?

Air suspension, that can take up to a 7 ton load, is too weak?

IP67 rating for every electric, electronic, even for infotainment thing on the vehicle, like no other on the market is not good, maybe because it can only be submerged for an hour without damage is not long enough

The only vehicle that have a 900 mm wading depth as standard without a snorkel aid.
    Designers tell you if you cross a river, and you loose traction, open the doors and flood the vehicle for better traction, maybe they are lying?

Only vehicle that is satellite connected to the manufacturer, doesn't matter where you are in the world that can be reset or diagnosed and solved via the connection, is not good enough, because maybe you are in a basement car park without connection.

Only vehicle that needs no aftermarket stuff fitted to it like others, to make it a real off roader to carry a load

O yes, and one of the safest on the road

Bloody softy this new Defender,its like a smart phone,

I was told stay away from D3, cant service it yourselves,man I can service it much better than any agent in SA. Its still an internal combustion engine, a normal auto box, normal diffs, normal brakes etc etc
    You know all of this is moot, if it is marketed to and bought by non off roaders... Just like the theoretical capability of a ranger rover, is a moot point.
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2020/07/09 at 06:07 AM.

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    You know all of this is moot, if it is marketed to and bought by non off roaders... Just like the theoretical capability of a ranger rover, is a moot point.
    But is the rangerover capability theoretical or real? I'm confused

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    But is the rangerover capability theoretical or real? I'm confused
    With 20"+ wheels, it is theoretical. Many guys will now come and tell me I am mistaken, and they will come bring videos of them going on muddy tracks... in the UK.. One might even show how he took ages up a little obstacle in the western Cape...
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2020/07/09 at 06:37 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Has anyone here driven the new Defender?
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Jeep.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

With 20"+ wheels, it is theoretical. Many guys will now come and tell me I am mistaken, and they will come bring videos of them going on muddy tracks... in the UK.. One might even show how he took ages up a little obstacle in the western Cape...

You guys keep harping on about this, yet if you compare the defender with the 20" option has a 153mm sidewall, and a Fortuner with the standard 18" option has 159mm. Is does the 6mm really make THAT much of a difference? Yet I haven't heard 1 single comment about how the Fortuner has gone soft because of the tyre size...
    Not to mention the 19" and 18" rim/tyre combination on the new Defender which gives a sidewall of 166 and 178 respectively....

Quote Originally Posted by DevonEllett View Post
    You guys keep harping on about this, yet if you compare the defender with the 20" option has a 153mm sidewall, and a Fortuner with the standard 18" option has 159mm. Is does the 6mm really make THAT much of a difference? Yet I haven't heard 1 single comment about how the Fortuner has gone soft because of the tyre size...
    Not to mention the 19" and 18" rim/tyre combination on the new Defender which gives a sidewall of 166 and 178 respectively....
    But you can put smaller profile rims on a Fortuner, and the question was not about the new Defender
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2020/07/09 at 07:51 AM.

Wink Re: Is this it?

The new Defender is obviously like some will tell you a POS.

But I think the designers looked at how to make it into a most capable 4wd x far, safety were non negotiable , comfort and ergonomical inside, all the latest aids etc etc.

Man I would love to own a D240 S, with no extras , plain std, but off course maybe in a few years, I 'll keep on driving the worlds only relaible D3 , that I am the lucky owner of, the rest are a POS except mine is an exception obviously.

What I am very glad of , is that Land Rover invented a vehicle, where the rear wheels follow exactly in the tracks of the front wheels, now that folks isnt much of engineering , but at least they got that right, others cannot
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

Is it about the rim size or Sidewall height? @DevonEllett sums it well.

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    The rim sizes are a pity but its worth remembering that the new defender runs on larger diameter tyres overall. So in 18” and even 19” it has a respectable sidewall length.

Current Hilux/Fortuner runs 265/65R17 thus 172mm high sidewall

Defender runs 255/70R18 thus 179mm (more than a standard 4x4 bakkie)

Or

255/65R19 for the powerful models at 166mm sidewall height. Thats a mere 4% difference in sidewall height to the typical 4x4 bakkie.

D4s ran 255/55R19, thats 10% less than the defender. So don’t expect the same tyre trouble that the discos had.
    But you can put smaller profile rims on a Fortuner, and the question was not about the new Defender
    My previous post refers, also 33'' tyres fit without issue. Im not saying a 17" wouldn't have been better but land rover certainly didn't discount sidewall height in the design.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85
    LROC member:5881

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW F800GS

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

Perspective. You can take a Puma, add a decent engine and gearbox, pimp it like an AMG Gelandewagen with diff locks everywhere and leather and 7.1 hifi with a double DIN radio GPS and have change left from R500k.
    Please post this in the Grenadier thread.
    Last edited by Jakkals.; 2020/07/09 at 09:03 AM.

But I think the designers looked at how to make it into a most capable 4wd x far, safety were non negotiable , comfort and ergonomical inside, all the latest aids etc etc.

I don't think anyone is debating those points with you but that sounds like the full fat Range Rover design brief, only thing missing is most luxurious.

If it is a Defender replacement that has been developed and has played catch up in design, then why is there no pick up or double cab?

I'll tell you why because that Defender is dead and the new one is just a name to cash in on the heritage. Do I blame them for doing it? Definitely not because it is a business and they out to make money like every other business.

I would buy it as well as an everyday car but I am fortunate to have a proper 90 and 110 as well which will always be the Defender I know.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:

Man I would love to own a D240 S, with no extras , plain std, but off course maybe in a few years, I 'll keep on driving the worlds only relaible D3 , that I am the lucky owner of, the rest are a POS except mine is an exception obviously.

What I am very glad of , is that Land Rover invented a vehicle, where the rear wheels follow exactly in the tracks of the front wheels, now that folks isnt much of engineering , but at least they got that right, others cannot
    http://www.sadag.org/index.php?optio...=11&Itemid=114
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Not in your live, coil springs in the LR made it much more comfortable , Wrangler is a wannabe overlander , how many do you actually see doing this . Bloody nice to look at with oversized wheels though
    You have just proven that you actually know nothing.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

This thread should clearly be closed

18” Rims with 34/35s.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85
    LROC member:5881

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by rainier vermaak View Post
    ;d;d;d;d;d

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    My previous post refers, also 33'' tyres fit without issue. Im not saying a 17" wouldn't have been better but land rover certainly didn't discount sidewall height in the design.
    I take it that what you are saying is that you use the same wheel and increase the tyre size? If you increase the tyre size as you indicate, then, what about the gearing? Could you still lug around all the weight you need to?