Is this it? - Page 14

Page 14 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 39 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this it?

Default Re: Is this it?

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    All we can agree on is that the guys waiting for the New Defender to be something like the Wrangler JL or Toyota LC70 are going to be terribly disappointed.

Take the D3 and D4 and massage that box shape a bit and then add all the gizmos from the current line-up and you'll see what will be launched.
    Pretty much summed it up

https://youtu.be/UWjR4d9pBys

2003 LR Discovery 2 GS V8
    2013 LR Discovery SDV6 SE (SWAMBO)
    2014 BMW X5M

Default Re: Any update on the new Defender

Still valid!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1546611624239.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	515015
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Still valid!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1546611624239.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	515015
    good one, Mike
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I am curious.
    I have never owned a Defender.
    What will the things be all the naysayers is going to miss in the new Defender?

Character and soul.

Something most vehicles don't have.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    I am curious.
    Durability. Simplicity. The ability to take abuse. The ability to be customized for specific applications. Off the showroom floor ability, no need for expensive aftermarket bumpers, bigger wheels, after market suspension, under body protection... whatever.

You could take a stock standard Defender, load a ton on to it, and take a turn off of a poor road on to no road with little chance of damaging it even in the most difficult terrain.

If you haven't owned a Defender and/or used it for what it was built. You wouldn't understand.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2019/01/06 at 05:27 PM.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Character and soul.

Something most vehicles don't have.
    In other words an old vehicle? Since a new vehicle can never have that.
    Its like my 2002 Bugeye STi. Nothing will ever have its Character and soul (for me), but time moves on and even if the new STi might be better in every sense, for me it wont be a substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    You wouldn't understand.
    Clearly not, even though my Disco can do many of those (in comfort) as Kingsley has illustrated numerous times.

In other words an old vehicle? Since a new vehicle can never have that.
    Its like my 2002 Bugeye STi. Nothing will ever have its Character and soul (for me), but time moves on and even if the new STi might be better in every sense, for me it wont be a substitute.
    That's where you are wrong. A brand new Defender has that.

Although the new one might be awesome, it will lack it.

Very few people will take a new Discovery and treat it or modify it like was done to the Defender.

Take for example rescue vehicles or fire fighting.

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

Here's a few examples.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images(2).jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	515203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Len02.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	515204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images(3).jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	515205  

Clearly not, even though my Disco can do many of those (in comfort)
    Spoken like someone who hasn't done in a Defender what a Defender was built for...

as Kingsley has illustrated numerous times.
    The D4/5 makes a relatively strong case as a touring vehicle... pity it's about R 500 k over priced.

A D4 can do what a Defender does BUT for how long? It comes down to duty cycle.

The Defender can take abuse for much longer than a D4. So if they can bring out the features of the D4 with the durability of a Defender I'm all for it. Tall order though.

Time will tell.

Ps and smaller rim to fit proper tyres, only issue I had with mine, it is a major drawback offroad.
    Last edited by Byron; 2019/01/06 at 06:46 PM.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    A D4 can do what a Defender does BUT for how long? It comes down to duty cycle.

The Defender can take abuse for much longer than a D4. So if they can bring out the features of the D4 with the durability of a Defender I'm all for it. Tall order though.

Time will tell.
    As long as we donít confuse durability for reliability

Spoken like someone who hasn't done in a Defender what a Defender was built for...
    He asked a simple question, stop being so arrogant.
    Last edited by ClaudeG; 2019/01/06 at 07:21 PM.

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

I am curious.
    Clearly not, even though my Disco can do many of those (in comfort) as Kingsley has illustrated numerous times.
    Perhaps if I share my experience of the D3 with a number of Defenders it may be clearer.

Here's what I found to be the primary problems compared to a Defender when I tried a D3.

I speak under correction, but IIRC the D4 was quoted as having a ground clearance of 310 mm in off-road height.

The Defender 250 mm, or something like that.

So the D3 wins on ground clearance, right... well it's not that simple.

The Defender's 250 mm is under the pumpkin of the diff which lifts with the wheel. The underside of the axle (which also lifts with the wheel) is at 330 mm and the bottom of the chassis at 350 mm.

The engine, gearbox transfer case and other components are all tucked safely above the chassis, out of harms way at around 400 mm.

You can slide a Defender on it's belly down a rock step without doing any damage to the body or other components (the Puma lost this ability to a degree because the handbrake drum was slightly lower than the chassis, although a pretty tough component). If you've cleared the obstacle with your axle, you can be sure that you won't be doing any damage, and if you hear a "clunk", you can be pretty sure it's just the cross member.

With the D3 310 mm is pretty much what you have to work with because most of the bottom of the vehicle are more or less at that level with no chunky ladder frame chassis to protect it. It's one of the draw backs of a monocoque chassis. I lost a gearbox and a compressor because of this.

The other major issue, as Byron has mentioned, is the large rims and low profile tyres. This is a drawback of chasing performance, because performance requires large brakes which require large brake discs and calipers which require large rims for them to be able to fit. Tyres are the most important part of your suspension. If you're doing sustained heavy off-roading in rocky terrain with low profile tyres, you're going to be replacing damaged rims and tyres.

Steel bumpers are a very use full thing to have when driving through the veld to make short work of, termite mounds, small bused and trees... when necessary. I understand that legislation would probably have done away with this if the Defender were simply upgraded anyway.

There were other issues as well but these are I think the types of things that wold distinguish the Defender from what is to come..

These things won't be missed by the larger market and many Defender owners would probably never even have had to test their Defender's to it's limits but some people will miss these things that made the Defender a Defender.

The D3 was a great vehicle to commute to the farm and back in, but once you're there and you're working, you want to be in a Defender.

You will often find that farmers drive something as their daily drive but back in the shed, when work needs to be done, the Defender gets pulled out.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post
    He asked a simple question, stop being so arrogant.
    I thought that oradba69 and I were having a very amicable conversation.

No arrogance...

I am curious.
    Durability. Simplicity. The ability to take abuse. The ability to be customized for specific applications. Off the showroom floor ability, no need for expensive aftermarket bumpers, bigger wheels, after market suspension, under body protection... whatever.

You could take a stock standard Defender, load a ton on to it, and take a turn off of a poor road on to no road with little chance of damaging it even in the most difficult terrain.

If you haven't owned a Defender and/or used it for what it was built. You wouldn't understand.

I thought that oradba69 and I were having a very amicable conversation.

No arrogance...
    No sweat. We are still all Landy lovers and I cant wait for the new Defender in the hope it will be a good replacement for my Disco.

No sweat. We are still all Landy lovers and I cant wait for the new Defender in the hope it will be a good replacement for my Disco.
    Yes, I'm sure it will be a good replacement for your Disco.

I'll probably be looking elsewhere if I ever need a replacement for my Defender.

Yes, I'm sure it will be a good replacement for your Disco.

I'll probably be looking elsewhere if I ever need a replacement for my Defender.
    LR have given up the 'working vehicle' type market ( farming , firefighting, bush ambulance , national parks, armed forces, NGO etc) as you rightly pointed out.

The luxury SUV market is obviously more profitable.

However the Japanese haven't, especially Toyota and to a lesser extent Nissan.

And for the 'working' applications mentioned above (farming etc) the 70 series LC in my opinion is a better product than the defender, more reliable, better value for money.

That's why it had almost completely displaced the defenders for those applications long ago.

What kept the old defender sales going was the leisure market, because of the 'adventure' image of the brand.
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2019/01/06 at 09:10 PM.

Toyota het so 8 odd jaar terug gesÍ landbou is ongeveer 2% van hul bakkie verkope...
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Page 14 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 39 64 ... LastLast