Is this it? - Page 111

Page 111 of 116 FirstFirst ... 11 61 86 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2310

Thread: Is this it?

Default Re: Is this it?

Quote Originally Posted by wildhunter View Post
    This square thing...what actually is it or what is its purpose?
    Fashion. It's like asking why people style their hair or beards, and not leave them as is. Or why women wear lipstick.

i must say...It's the only part on this vehicle I don't like, looks like an afterthought
    I think it's not a bad thing. It looks not as good in some colour combinations, and very good in others.

Saw in LRO magazine there will be commercial hardtops in both 90 and 110, where that ugly square is missing.
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    But why remove it? The thing would look bland ..
    Because it will be annoying for rear passengers when you go on a game drive.

i must say...It's the only part on this vehicle I don't like, looks like an afterthought
    Yes, that makes it much more like the old Defender, stroke of genius
    Regards,<br><br>Brian<br><br>

Defender 110 V8 CSW
    Range Rover Classic 3.9

2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Am I the only one that started hating this thread? I want a new Defender, but not sure I'll fork out +-R1.2m for it. (assuming a SE with some extras)
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

This square thing...what actually is it or what is its purpose?i must say...It's the only part on this vehicle I don't like, looks like an afterthought
    Mounting plate for accessories, like Jerry cans etc...

This square thing...what actually is it or what is its purpose?

Hi George,
    I recall reading somewhere that its a storage compartment for gear, and also prevents the the roofrack ladder from damaging the body.

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Am I the only one that started hating this thread? I want a new Defender, but not sure I'll fork out +-R1.2m for it. (assuming a SE with some extras)
    TBF George, R1.2m doesn't buy you much these days...
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    1.2m will buy you 2 x mainstream brand, fully specced, full size 4x4 SUVs. (or close as makes no difference)

3 x mainstream brand, entry level, 4x4 double cabs.

or if you want to be really sensible 4 x less mainstream but reputable 4x4 double cabs.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    1.2m will buy you 2 x mainstream brand, fully specced, full size 4x4 SUVs. (or close as makes no difference)

or if you want to be really sensible 4 x less mainstream but reputable 4x4 double cabs.
    Yes, brand snobbery aside. You can get a fully loaded Everest 2.0 Limited bi-turbo and a Fortuner or another Everest mid-spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    You can get a Touareg, Q7, Cayenne, Jeep, LC200GX, 2x FJ's...plus many more decent cars for R1.2 to R1.3mil.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

What you could get and what you want are two different things. If you have the bucks fulfil your need and enjoy. This is a vehicle that will meet most needs and give a lot of pleasure as well. Anybody who does not see the opportunity to buy one could decry its value or purpose. Land Rover have done their market research and obviously there are a lot of sensible people who will become new Defender owners. One can only drive one vehicle at a time anyway so enjoy the ultimate. What I would like to explore though is the difference between the Discovery and Defender in all departments - I do not think too much though, Bruce you may have an input here
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post

This goes for just about all luxury 4x4suv,s unless you see a suv on a bakkie frame as luxury suv
    Using Tapatalk

To me it will be a lot like a D4. I do think it is expensive but it looks like a lot of car with new tech. I think it will kill off the D5. They will sell will I initially, taper off and then wait for specials from LR to move stock. Personally I will wait for 2 years before making a decision.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    To me it will be a lot like a D4. I do think it is expensive but it looks like a lot of car with new tech. I think it will kill off the D5. They will sell will I initially, taper off and then wait for specials from LR to move stock. Personally I will wait for 2 years before making a decision.
    Waiting sounds like a good plan. Wait and watch on used values

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    This goes for just about all luxury 4x4suv,s unless you see a suv on a bakkie frame as luxury suv
    Correct.

It isn't true though that 1.2 m doesn't buy you much, it buys you quite a lot.

Including a number of other luxury SUVs you you refer to.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2020/01/28 at 02:37 PM.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

Exactly. My heart is set big time on a new Defender, but I just can't justify to myself (yet) to spend potentially double to satisfy the heart. I've outgrown the obstacle raider phase, so for my needs a R750k Everest Ltd will be more than sufficient. I know it's not in the same league as even my current D4, but do I really need the higher spec and convenience? Probably not. My roughest 4x4ing would probably be something to the likes of Van Zyl's pass and that hardly necessitates a Defender or a Cruiser. An old Defender can always be at hand to scratch the itch. I suppose time will tell.

I suppose as you get older it's more about reliability and risk that having a brand name and fancy electronic gizmos. Most 4x4s on the market are capable and 90% of the time it's either way the driver that makes the difference.
    Last edited by George; 2020/01/29 at 08:27 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Wink Re: Is this it?

George.

If you can afford it, and you really like it, you only live once! Do it!

When my grandfather got old and my dad and I started looking after him (in his 70's) we found a policy of his that hadn't paid out that was supposed to, and he suddenly had some spare cash. When we asked him what we could buy him, he couldn't really tell us what he wanted. So we asked him what does he like?
    You know what he said? Weet-bix.
    The point is , at some stage your money becomes unusable. While you can, and if cars are a passion, and there's nothing that you'd rather spend it on. Then buy it. But whatever you do, dont die with a packet in your bank account! No , I don't work for Land Rover

So when speccing the P400, what wheels and rims to go for?

The P400 can't fit anything less than 19" because of the size of the brakes in order to stop that amount of horses. So it's either 19's or 20's and we all know the smaller the rim, the better it is offroad, and the more comfortable the ride. But here's the thing, if you want to change to a different tyre at some stage, you simply can't find ANY tyres in that size (255-65-r19). At least in 20's you have the option of BFg's or even Coopers. So what to do?

(Specifically if you want all those horses, and the ability to have the most awesome game reserve vehicle in the history of ever - because if the ability to edge forward completely silently while at a game sighting using the 48v electrical system only)