Is it safe to attach a rope and tow off a nudge bar? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Is it safe to attach a rope and tow off a nudge bar?

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Towing a 1800kg Hardbody with a 1.3 Corolla using the little build in hook thingy. (Not even close to a Nudge Bar mount. )

Just keep the rope tight and no problem.

NO SNATCHING. NIKS RUK EN PLUK!

EDIT: I'm NOT advocating unsafe towing or the use of unsafe mounting points !!

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2018/10/02 at 04:28 PM.
    Kobus

HDJ81 VX

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Towing a 1800kg Hardbody with a 1.3 Corolla using the little build in hook thingy. (Not even close to a Nudge Bar mount. )

Just keep the rope tight and no problem.

NO SNATCHING. NIKS RUK EN PLUK!

EDIT: I'm NOT advocating unsafe towing or the use of unsafe mounting points !!

You can physically tow a truck with a Fiat Uno if you know what you're doing, but it depends on both drivers knowing how to tow and how to be towed.

In a nutshell, the front vehicle becomes the engine and the steering, the rear vehicle becomes the brakes. Keep the rope tight and (this the job of the rear vehicle) and you'll be fine.

The bad stuff happens when the rope is allowed to go slack, usually when coming to a standstill, and the front vehicle takes off without noticing.

The problem is, when dispensing advice on a public platform, you have to assume that whoever decides to follow it will know nothing about towing. And if I have to go by what I see in traffic almost daily, it would seem most people don't.

Same with the reply I gave the OP. Personally I would trust that setup, but I can't condone it publicly because it could fail spectacularly if abused.

It's a case of, we agree, but we can't admit it in public
    Daily drive: 2017 VW cross up!
    For sale: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Do not mistake my mantra for a crusade.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    From what I have read up removing those parts give just about no fuel economy benefits, the rear wheels only engage if it detects the front wheels slipping and that's only lower torque because the Crv AWD system isn't designed to send the full engine torque to the back wheels. With the AWD system in place and with normal road driving the only things turning that potentially can affect economy is the propshaft and rear drive shafts free running but that's going to have marginal impact.

I'd put them back on if he still has the parts, the Crv AWD actually works really well, especially on wet or gravel roads and mud/sandy roads it can handle some pretty serious stuff, just not 4x4 obstacles.

Is his Crv still running the original clutch with unopened gearbox?

Thanks, I was thinking about trying to make something like that, where can those be purchased and about how much are they generally?

Edit: corrected how the AWD system works
    As a matter of interest. The first gen CRV has a permanent AWD. No torque vectoring clutches , nothing. That's why some European countries used them for racing. They don't heat up under abnormal conditions. I would prefer to have him fit the diff again, but he doesn't race on our gravel roads . So there is no real benefit.
    Last edited by nisjeep; 2018/10/11 at 01:19 PM.
    There's only 3 reasons to stand up : to get the remote , to go to the bathroom or because you're the Real Slim Shady.

2002 Patrol 4.5 GRX
    2001 Terrano 2 TD27
    2012 1600 Pypkar Rum mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    That being said the nudge bar is attached to these 2 x chassis tow points and is made from what looks like heavy walled 80mm tubing, would it be safe to attach a rope to the nudge bar and get towed from it?
    yes

please post the video
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by nisjeep View Post
    As a matter of interest. The first gen CRV has a permanent AWD. No torque vectoring clutches , nothing. That's why some European countries used them for racing. They don't heat up under abnormal conditions. I would prefer to have him fit the diff again, but he doesn't race on our gravel roads . So there is no real benefit.
    Not full time, it's front wheel drive with a hydraulic dual pump at the rear diff with wet clutch to activate the rear wheels/AWD.

The propshaft drives one side of the pump and the rear drive shafts the other side, if the fronts (or rears if reversing) start going faster than the rears then the excess fluid pumped from the dual pump engages a wet clutch that then sends power to the rears. There's a torque limiter which is a pressure release valve that bleeds off the pump when the hydraulic pressure gets to high, which disengages the clutch. They can overheat and they have a temp sensor which disengages the clutch if the hydraulic fluid gets too hot.

The system will also actate at any speed, as long as the power going to the back stays within the torque limits of pumps release valve.

Very simple and robust system that is very effective if used within the parameters of what its capable of. Low maintenence, just new diff fluid every 50000km if I remember correctly, that's depending on how much useage the AWD has seen. But you must use Honda dual pump fluid and nothing else, I did mine a few months back and it cost around R350, very easy job.
    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    yes

please post the video
    Cool, you drive the tow vehicle, I'll make sure to get stuck in some deep mud so we can test the nudge bar properly one time. I'll even get an eyelet welded at the highest point so we can hitch up without bending down.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/10/11 at 10:19 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2