Garmin GPS v

Thread: Garmin GPS v

Default Garmin GPS v

Good day i would like to know if anyone ar currently still using a Garmin GPS v that can give some more info in term of how it work, can it take a sd card can you load T4A and and and. Name:  1538128572256.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  88.0 KB

Default Re: Garmin GPS v

That one is quite old
    According to the Garmin Wikipedia page the V model was released late in 2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...roducts#Models
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

The Garmin V was the first GPS I bought. I still have it, but have not used it for a few years ÖÖ..

It is fairly simple to operate, but to get it working from scratch might be more of a problem than you have bargained for.

To connect it to a computer, you need a serial port Ö. And new computers donít have them anymore. You used to get a cable with a USB plug on the one side and a serial port on the other end that you could use to bypass that problem.

I doubt if it will work on Basecamp, so you will have to find, and load, Mapsource.

The memory is very small/limited, and it cannot take an additional memory card. Iíll have to check, but I doubt if you will be able to load T4A Africa on it. But you used to be able to get the T4A maps in tiles, covering different sections of Africa and something like T4A Western Cape or T4A Namibia might still fit onto it.

Johan
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2016 Isuzu KB300 Ext Cab 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by J Snyman View Post
    The Garmin V was the first GPS I bought. I still have it, but have not used it for a few years ÖÖ..

It is fairly simple to operate, but to get it working from scratch might be more of a problem than you have bargained for.

To connect it to a computer, you need a serial port Ö. And new computers donít have them anymore. You used to get a cable with a USB plug on the one side and a serial port on the other end that you could use to bypass that problem.

I doubt if it will work on Basecamp, so you will have to find, and load, Mapsource.

The memory is very small/limited, and it cannot take an additional memory card. Iíll have to check, but I doubt if you will be able to load T4A Africa on it. But you used to be able to get the T4A maps in tiles, covering different sections of Africa and something like T4A Western Cape or T4A Namibia might still fit onto it.

Johan
    Okay cool thanks for the information.

Your talking about serial port... That is the Rs 232 connector?

Quote Originally Posted by Daby Jimny View Post
    Okay cool thanks for the information.

Your talking about serial port... That is the Rs 232 connector?
    Yes USB TO RS-232
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2016 Isuzu KB300 Ext Cab 4x4