Jurgens XT 140 trailer - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Gerie
    I have the XT120 and I'mm very happy with it. The wheels do look far back but the axle is slightly in front of them due to the workings of the rubber torsion set up (afaik). However the nose does get a bit heavy as I have a 60l fridge and two jerry cans already in front of the wheels before I sart. So packing does take a bit of thought. I also think having the wheels far back makes the trailer more stable (imho).
    Russell

As with my last post , I have mentioned my December overlanding trip.
    I have in the meantime returned back to base having done 9013km in total = approximately 2500km of it dirt roads of all sorts - 153km of extreme off roading up the Kunene river.

My XT140 passed once again with destinction.
    Effort meets opportunity!!

Landrover TD5 2001

To me the wheels can never be too far back.
    The stability it creates is the most important factor and also adds hugely to towing comfortably.
    Keeping in mind of course the maximums of the towball and -bar.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

This is a very interesting read, and I'm still keen to buy an XT140... after a real 4x4 that is!

The only reason I prefer the wheels further forward is to have a better approach angle for the trailer.
    Geoff Craig
    '98 Suzuki Samurai - Sami the Samurai
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

Speaking from a manufacturer's point, the wheel position is undoubtedly as challenging for my competitors as it is for me. These are the considerations I take into account after I've settled on the main body dimensions:

As Damdan points out you cannot exceed the tow hitch weight limit which is 150kg's or 10% of the tow vehicle mass, therefor you are almost forced to centralize the wheels unless you find innovative ways of distributing more weight to the rear of the trailer.

The further back the trailing distance of the trailer's wheels, the greater the tow stability and the better the departure angle, but negatively also, the more the trailer cuts the corner which limits articulation around tight bends and makes the trailers wheels run out of the vehicle tracks on tighter turns. Also, the further back, the more likely you will foul the underside of the trailer under the drawbar going over a pronounced hillcrest, and obviously the heavier the nose.

Having too much weight between the trailers wheels and the rear of the car, proportionally increases the possibility of jack-knifing through a bend. This is more dangerous than a trailer that starts becoming unstable, because when the jack-knife starts, it becomes an exponential increase in sideways force as the angle of the car and trailer increase = no stopping that from happening once it starts, unlike a swaying trailer which you can ease off on.

The approach angle of a trailer is not really an issue because the vehicle's towbar will always keep the trailer nose above the ground. It is only the departure angle that counts, and remember, the trailer only goes through what the vehicle can manage.

There is only one sweet spot on a golfstick, even if the "theory" says that hitting the ball lower down on the head should make it go further. I guess this precise position can be referred to as the G-spot of trailer design - seriously illusive but very good to find
    Last edited by Heinz Modricky; 2011/02/04 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Hi Gents,

I've got a XT140 and very satisfied with it. I recently saw a pic of a mod done on a XT 120, sink with a table top on the l/h wheel arch, as per pic. I would reaaly like to do the same and would like to know if anyone got the contact details of this gent in order to get more info or have one made. Kindly advise.

A friend of mine bought the XT140. He fitted an Easy Awn rooftop tent on it. (the one in the aluminium casing). Went to Mabua and Kalagadi with it. Came back and had R19000 damage to the trailer. Axle, springs, nose cone, lid, etc. The nose cone actually fell off.As it was only the 1st trip he has done with it and the trailer was still under warrenty, they had to send back to the factory to get fixed. It stood there for 8 months before he got it back.
    Your first thought would be that it was abused, but no it was not. The trailer just could not take the roads in Mabua and Kalagadi. I would defenatly think twice before I buy a Jurgens offroad trailer.
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

Default Jurgens XT140

Ek hou baie van my sleepwa en ja ek stem saam met die meeste goed dat hy swaar is en so aan maar so what,ek sleep not steeds beter as met n woonwa (Triton 2.5 DID 4X4) Wat ek die meeste geniet is om die sleepwa in te rig volgens jou eie behoeftes en dan die mense se kommentaar te hoor as jy kamp.Dit kos n paar rand om alles te doen maar dis mos lekker ek doen dit so stuk stuk .Ek sal enige man aanraai om so sleepwa te koop dis regtig waarde vir geld.
    Last edited by vheerddp; 2011/03/29 at 11:47 AM.
    Dirk van Heerden
    Foton Tunland 4x4 lux
    [email protected]

Thumbs up Jurgens XT140

Quote Originally Posted by AndreG View Post
    A friend of mine bought the XT140. He fitted an Easy Awn rooftop tent on it. (the one in the aluminium casing). Went to Mabua and Kalagadi with it. Came back and had R19000 damage to the trailer. Axle, springs, nose cone, lid, etc. The nose cone actually fell off.As it was only the 1st trip he has done with it and the trailer was still under warrenty, they had to send back to the factory to get fixed. It stood there for 8 months before he got it back.
    Your first thought would be that it was abused, but no it was not. The trailer just could not take the roads in Mabua and Kalagadi. I would defenatly think twice before I buy a Jurgens offroad trailer.
    As far as i can remember my XT140 does not have axle springs and for the nose cone you can cover it with a special cover that is made to take the hammering of lose stones.I will take my XT140 to my grave if i can ha ha. i dont think it is the trailer but maybe the people at the factory who,s work is not up to standard.Just my humble opinnion.
    Dirk van Heerden
    Foton Tunland 4x4 lux
    [email protected]

Default Jurgens xt 140

I have had my Xt 140 for 14 months, and even thought every product has pros and cons...it is a great product, that is bloody tough, and has never left my standing...I have rigged my xt 140 and bought everything I need for wilderness ca,ping, and I have sppend less than R90 000.00.

Try that with the other makes!! Then I have have to say that brakhah and other have broken while we where in Nam and Zambia, and mine did the same routes and did not break..so to the chap that said Jurgens should stick to caravans, I can only say get your facts straight.

This is a good product, with a long heritage, and if i need backup, it is available all over SADEC.

By the XT140, I believe in the product, and it's capabilities!! The rest are also good, but yes it may be heavy, but why?? Because it is strong and does not break the shock mounts or chassis mount...like some I have seen first [email protected]!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hardbody 32 For This Useful Post:

I also bought a XT140 in September 2009 and were very happy with it. I fitted a pump and taps for the water so no problem with acces to the water. Made my own slide with 4x ammo boxes at the back. Fitted electrical system with plugs, lights, invertor etc.. I also had fittings made to lift my TTT so that I can put ammo boxes underneath the tent on the R/Rack and my TTT has hinges on the one side and canopy clips on the other side so that I can lift the tent and gain acces to the roofrack. I never have to open the trailer lid. 80l fridge on the one side. 80l water tank. 2x 100amp delco batteries & 60amp battery with built-in charger and dual charging from vehicle. December 2009 did a trip to Bots & Nam totalling almost 5000km dirt road (Most very bad). I did have a problem with my braking system and we had to cut the cables and even with that weight behing my Pajero 3.0L SWB I didnt have a problem. On coming back I went to the dealer and expected them to repair but they ordered a brand new upgraded axle (1800kg) and installed within 2-weeks under guarantee. I in the meantime sold the trailer to my son and made my dodge in a fully integrated camper. No pitching tents or anything else. It takes me 3-min to setup and 3-min to unplug, start and go.

From a competitive manuafacturer's point of view, I rate the XT 140 as giving you more "trailer build" per rand than you get from most trailers. There's a lot of engineering, pipework, laser cutting, punching, etc.. in that trailer. So much so, that I think the 600 kgs is a total overkill and the only critiscm I will give it is that it offers too little function (pack space and accessability) for all it's engineering. But at around 40k, it still takes first prize in my books (on looks, quality and trailer for money.)

AndreG, it could be, but I doubt that this trailer went through the factory copping a babalas worker at every station. A more likely scenario is that the tow vehicle's wheels were bigger and rode the corrugations easier at that particular speed and the driver was oblivious to what the trailer was going through. The trailer may have had fully inflated tyres and riding the corrugations at a destructive frequency. What was your mate driving (possibly a big Cruzer/Pajero with bigger tyres and aftermarket spring kit?)

How many times have you guys entered a section of corrugated road and had to adjust your speed to eliminate that shudder that rattles your teeth into the back of your eye sockets??

I have done a lot of measurements on road corrugations and built a test rig to simulate this effect on my trailers. At the right speed I break the leaf spring suspension C clips in less than two minutes. I did not fit the intended accelerometers and load cells to provide graphic print outs and readings, suffice to say that it became obvious to me how severely damaging corrugated roads can be to any trailer.

(I did the Kgalagadi and the Richtersveld with a Makro 5 foot Buddy trailer with 13 inch rims and tyres, "dikgepak" for four of us, and this is a substantially weaker trailer than the XT140)

Lower the tyre pressure and drive at a conducive speeds.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My 2c worth. I've had my XT140 since October 2009 and I'm quite satisfied with it's build and handling. I am busy with a couple of modifications, will post a couple of photos when done.
    2012 JEEP Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 CRD Overland
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3200 Di-D GLS A/T
    2009 Jurgens XT140 sleepwa

Default XT 140 Modifications

What modifications / personalization have you done to your XT 140

Things that I have done so far:

I have put a SS 0.5 sheet onto the mud guard next to the fridge
    Manufactured a lockable Jerry Can Toolbox - which stays on the trailer
    Mounted SS screws for stretchy rubber to hold the nose cone cover
    Mounted a ratchet and strap to hold the ladder in place
    Attached a Brad Harrison plug onto chassis for storage

What have you done to your XT?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00061-20110714-0520.jpg 
Views:	799 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	115546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jerry Can 002.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	115547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jerry Can 004.jpg 
Views:	918 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	115548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canon 455.jpg 
Views:	904 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	116801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canon 447.jpg 
Views:	931 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	116802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canon 445.jpg 
Views:	818 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	116803  
    Last edited by Goldhawk; 2011/10/12 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Updated

Default Re: Jurgens XT 140 trailer

Old thread, I know. But please help me out here:

I got myself a XT140 and as we are packing for the first short trip, I noticed that without having filled the jerry cans the weight on the tow ball is already at 100 kg.
    I think it should be ok for the FJ and I'm aware that a nose heavy trailer tows more stable.

I'm just wondering, how do you guys pack your XT140? Have you ever weighed the tow ball weight? Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3