Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Realities of running highileage isuzus

Howzit.

I'm looking at getting a good quality second hand Isuzu kb300 d-teq 4x4

The one I'm looking at has about 180 000km on the clock for 230k. (Double cab).

I'm just weary of things like injectors which I think are 8k a pop. What about turbo issues? Anything else to know...

Default Re: Realities of running highileage isuzus

I own one that has 300k+ on, and sold another a while back that now also passed 300k. Both still has the original turbo, injectors, gearbox, diff, etc. Never missed a beat. Engines have never been opened. Services on time, clean diesel and your good to go for many miles

My neighbour has over 360k km on his, unopened. Just regular services and good to go.

I am extremely weary of second hand turbo diesels... Unless I was 100% sure of the vehicle history I would not even consider it. I have burned my fingers badly in the past. But as I say thats just me... (and this is not aimed at Isuzu, it goes for all used TD's)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnna For This Useful Post:

It is probably like cheating to mention a 250D in such threads, but here is one that passed 1.5mil km a while back, all original parts:

https://www.wheels24.co.za/OffRoad_a...etres-20160322

I know of another owned by a local courier service that passed 1mil km. There must be more 250D's out there with that type of mileage. Anyhow, slightly side tracked, OP wants to by a 300 Dteq. Rock solid engine. As with any second purchase, check for FSH, no accidents, etc.

For sure. I have a good friend that is on hesn3rd or 4th second hand Isuzu with minimal issues.

I have no doubt when looked after that they will treat you right. But when purchasing a high mileage variant you never quite know. I haven't had great luck in second hand vehicles in the past but I certainly cannot afford a new one either lol. At least if I know what to look out for I can somewhat make an informed decision

Clean diesel and regular service should see you get a lot out of this engine.

Seriously considered trading my 250 DTeq about a month or so ago. Sort of decided against it although the new 2.4 SRX and 2.5 X-Rider are really starting to create an itch. That being said;

I removed the dpf on my 250 DTeq at 165'000km.
    Last service was at 150'000km at Isuzu agensts, from there diy
    I use OEM parts and Delo 400 oil. Still every 15'000km
    50ppm diesel
    Keep revs to 2'000 rpm until at operating temperature
    I let it idle for 15sec after a drive

Expecting any more km's from it. (or until i trade it on a DC )

I cannot guarantee the reliability of a high mileage, but can mention that out of all brands I think Isuzu will be one of the safer buys on high mileage.
    Rooies, Red, Redman (Pieter)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Yes i think Isuzu is one the better brands to take to high mileage, take the the one in question for a test drive with a mechanic who knows their stuff and they will be able to tell you if theres any dodgy sounds or any things that might be out of place or suspect on the vehicle.
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)

Sorry Homebrewer, I'm not of much help

I'm on my 4'th Isuzu and really can't complain. The oldest one had it's ground wire rattle loose, where it connects to the body. It burned through, everything electrical obviously died, engine kept running. Got a new wire at a scrapyard and everything was back to normal. That was the biggest issue I had between the 4.

As they got older I replaced things like radiator hoses, purely as preventative measures. Maybe someone on the forum can share something more?

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrewer View Post
    For sure. I have a good friend that is on hesn3rd or 4th second hand Isuzu with minimal issues.

I have no doubt when looked after that they will treat you right. But when purchasing a high mileage variant you never quite know. I haven't had great luck in second hand vehicles in the past but I certainly cannot afford a new one either lol. At least if I know what to look out for I can somewhat make an informed decision
    I see you are in CT. Not sure if you have a vehicle in scope already, but if not I will visit Hayes Motors. They have really neat Isuzu's over there. We flew down in 2009 and bought my dad's current KB300 from them, had just over 100'000km's on the ODO and at the moment well over 250'000km. Was such a great deal that after travel cost and fuel back, we had spend more or less what we could have got similar up here, but a lot cleaner and better looked after.

A lot of 2nd hand Isuzu's are seeking close to new priced Isuzu's,do your homework.

Also consider who owned/drove the Isuzu. It may have been driven by an uncaring youngster ,having only just over 100k km on the clock but the motor has been screwed to have the same wear as a 400k km motor.

Look at extended warranty etc. In general Isuzu's are long lasting engines if look after properly.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Howzit.

I'm looking at getting a good quality second hand Isuzu kb300 d-teq 4x4

The one I'm looking at has about 180 000km on the clock for 230k. (Double cab).

I'm just weary of things like injectors which I think are 8k a pop. What about turbo issues? Anything else to know...

You don't mention the year model, if it's the first DTEQ from 2008 (KB5) or the later KB6 models.
    2004 PRADO VX 4.0 V6

It's a 2012. When we're the d-teqs first released?

I was also looking at the rangers, until I started reading a bit too many stories of catastrophic engine failures. Gave me instant nightmares lol. Unless I can get one in warranty I don't think I Wana go down that road

It's a 2012. When we're the d-teqs first released?
    First D-teq's came in 2007 with the Kb5. Pretty much had the same 300 since then, and the 250 had a slight power upgrade around 2014 if i remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    I see you are in CT. Not sure if you have a vehicle in scope already, but if not I will visit Hayes Motors. They have really neat Isuzu's over there. We flew down in 2009 and bought my dad's current KB300 from them, had just over 100'000km's on the ODO and at the moment well over 250'000km. Was such a great deal that after travel cost and fuel back, we had spend more or less what we could have got similar up here, but a lot cleaner and better looked after.
    Yip, I know of them. Have been referred to them as well.

I'm tempted to post the ad of the one I'm looking at but just in case someone is looking for the same thing I wont lol

The 1st DTEQ was launched around 2008.

My injectors cost about R17k to refurbish, so certain things can be pricey.

Also, I never rev over 2000revs when cold, even if it means driving 40km/h with traffic building up behind me.
    My bakkie suffered severely from blow-by, was underpowered and smoked badly. The engine and turbo was eventually rebuilt to a cost of around R65k. Now it sounds and drives like a new one.

This was all done with the mileage around 214k kms.

So please don't be fooled by mileage, even if the bakkie seems in a great condition, things can still go wrong with any second hand vehicle.
    2004 PRADO VX 4.0 V6

Yip, I know of them. Have been referred to them as well.

I'm tempted to post the ad of the one I'm looking at but just in case someone is looking for the same thing I wont lol
    I might be one of them. I have been window shopping now for the past two years. Part of me wants the new X-Rider.

But... I love the shape of the KB5 (my current donkey). There is a very neat one at Hayes at the moment 181'000km @ R240'000 (picture below). Would love to go that route and then add Bundu or Dune front bumper, and some other nice goodies. But then again...

Good luck and keep us posted. Hope you come right

Name:  Screenshot_1.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  81.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by B_Engel View Post
    The 1st DTEQ was launched around 2008.

My injectors cost about R17k to refurbish, so certain things can be pricey.

Also, I never rev over 2000revs when cold, even if it means driving 40km/h with traffic building up behind me.
    My bakkie suffered severely from blow-by, was underpowered and smoked badly. The engine and turbo was eventually rebuilt to a cost of around R65k. Now it sounds and drives like a new one.

This was all done with the mileage around 214k kms.

So please don't be fooled by mileage, even if the bakkie seems in a great condition, things can still go wrong with any second hand vehicle.
    What was the cause of those issues? That's pretty much my fear. With the amount of mileage that I do, I would like to think that I could get another 100 000km on the clock with no major issues. I got no issues doing maintenance and component level replacements. But engine rebuilds etc is definitely something I want to stick clear of. That's exactly the position I find myself in now.

Of coarse I can get an after market warranty, but they do only cover so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    I might be one of them. I have been window shopping now for the past two years. Part of me wants the new X-Rider.

But... I love the shape of the KB5 (my current donkey). There is a very neat one at Hayes at the moment 181'000km @ R240'000 (picture below). Would love to go that route and then add Bundu or Dune front bumper, and some other nice goodies. But then again...

Good luck and keep us posted. Hope you come right

Name:  Screenshot_1.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  81.4 KB
    hahaha that is exactly what I was looking at

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast