Discovery 2: Discovery 2 TD5, To part or keep

Default Discovery 2 TD5, To part or keep

Morning fellow forum members, I need some guidance and advise.

I have a 03 Disco II TD5 with currently around 255k kilo's, I have had some very major big repair lately example, gearbox/flex plate; internal fuel pump, transfer case to name a few. Its starts at very first turn, no smoke that I can see and its runs smooth for now, my issue is should a part with her or keep it?

I am not complaining about the fuel consumption as its not that bad around 7-8.5km/l in town and obvious more on the open road.

Many thanks in advance....

Default Re: Discovery 2 TD5, To part or keep

Its the old story, " Rather the devil you know than the devil you dont "
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi ( Sold )
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

Please contact me if you decide to sell. I am interested.

PM also sent.
    Land Rover Defender Puma

Previous ride: Defender 90 tD5

Some pic of her. Note the black trim is still current but the roof carrier and awning has been sold a year ago to a friend in urgent need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	413.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	275.8 KB 
ID:	503644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20141025-00413.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	503645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mix photos and video 162.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	408.6 KB 
ID:	503646  
    Last edited by Crash; 2018/09/27 at 12:48 PM.

I have a 2003 TD5 Disco that I have spent a lot of money on. I will spend more on it one day but it is not for sale.
    I thoroughly enjoy driving it, more so than any of my other vehicles. So I am biased, I would keep it.

I have the same dilemma.

So I advertised it for a high but not completely unreasonable price.

If it sells, it sells if it doesn't, I keep it.

The problem is that you won't own anything similar for cheaper, even if you include the maintenance costs and they are not worth much, so you can't do much with what you may get for it.

I must add that my wife has a "sensible" daily drive, I wouldn't have the Disco as our only transport.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

Hi

Thank for all the replies, much appreciated.
    (So I advertised it for a high but not completely unreasonable price.

The problem is that you won't own anything similar for cheaper, even if you include the maintenance costs and they are not worth much, so you can't do much with what you may get for it.)
    If I may ask, how much did you advertise it for and what is consider a reasonable price? Plus I am not planing to sell it yet also wont be to purchase for the same value though. Also this is our 3rd vehicle so its not the main vehicle.

thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Hi

Thank for all the replies, much appreciated.
    (So I advertised it for a high but not completely unreasonable price.

The problem is that you won't own anything similar for cheaper, even if you include the maintenance costs and they are not worth much, so you can't do much with what you may get for it.)
    If I may ask, how much did you advertise it for and what is consider a reasonable price? Plus I am not planing to sell it yet also wont be to purchase for the same value though. Also this is our 3rd vehicle so its not the main vehicle.

thanks all
    If you're patient you can pick up a reasonable Td5 for R35k, spend R10 or R15k on it and you have a good vehicle.

So I guess R40k is a low starting point. I advertised mine for R100k but there is nothing to be done and it has R30k worth of performance upgrades, heavy duty flex plate, Arnott Air springs and some other bits and pieces.
    I don't expect it to sell quickly but there may be a taker..? I'm not a serious seller though.

If I were serious about selling I'd start at R80k and work my way down from there.

Also keep in mind that the V8s are probably 25% cheaper and perceived to be a safer high mileage bet.. so for a second play-thing many people opt for a V8.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2018/09/27 at 03:03 PM.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

You can get a Td5 for R25k....with no engine. I've yet to see a d2 for R35k that's in decent nic. I advertised a very good vehicle for R53k, no takers. Fitted a new windscreen and cowling, cost R18k, decided to fit new headliner, R 3k....R53 k is way less than these cars are worth. A second hand engine, no warranty costs R 30k. I advertised a good engine, with < 20k km on it for R 12k, no takers...

Money is tight and I think the old 4x4 people, who want a real, off road vehicle are few and far between, pavement / mall creepers are now the norm.

Arnott air bags are not an extra, they're maybe better quality than Dunlop but certainly not an extra.

Keep the car, you can't buy anything similar for a decent price and selling prices are low now...
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2018/09/28 at 08:42 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

People wanting a toy for 4x4 will opt for the V8

People wanting to overland will opt for the Defender.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Thanks all for the information, really appreciate your response and comments.

If you know the TD5's history, ie have been driving it for many years, you would be better in a better position to make a decision. If you dont have full details have it checked out by reputable Indie.
    I have been driving mine (2003 TD5 auto) since it was still a baby and am just not prepared to sell it on for ±R35k. I will not find anything better for 4 to 5 times that amount.
    It is currently on close to 360k km's and going strong. Will jump in it for an extended Botswana trip without any hesitation- apart from the diesel price obviously. Economics will soon change to km/Rand. The advantage of driving a vehicle of this age and high odo reading is that there are many new components replaced. I had to do all on your list and more, but since this was done I had no costs for sometime now. Last major cost was an auto box rebuild in about March 2017 - this also due to long story and probably 90% due to my own mistake.

Still my daily drive, X-Trail for longer distances (fuel economy)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gotto For This Useful Post:

Exclamation Re: Discovery 2 TD5, To part or keep

Thanks Gotto

I have had mine for a better past 3/4 years, and know quite a bit of her history. It had an almost perfect service record as the previous owners lived in Stellenbosch/ Somerset West area and thus it was serviced by Land Rover Stellenbosch agents and Schalk4X4 irrespectively, so if items needed replacement it was in most cases with an agent part (still have all the relevant copies of repair work from that time).
    Since its been in my possession, I serviced it almost every 10-12k kilo apart with decent filter components and oil( agent quality prescribe -Castrol Magnatec).

When major work had to be done like the transfer case, it was serviced at the same time by the likes of Roverland. Which brings me to my next point, all / almost all major repair have been carried out by Roverland, transfer case upgrade and bearings , ABS modulator, to name some of them, cant remember what else.

Then there was a list of item I did myself, left front ABS sensor replaced, Alternator regulator replaced, some fuel hose over fuel tank replaced, with upgrade kit and the last one a week ago internal fuel pump and about to replace the top radiator hose and coolant,
    also build a drawer system which was done some time ago, some customizing ascetics upgrade of black wrapping around the bottom and epoxy coated rims.

Then there is a list of the gearbox scenario's, someone ( not going to say who it was, but a land rover workshop) replaced the flex plate at a cost of 6,5k, and a month later same noise. Well Triangle transmissions, repaired it and serviced the gearbox and upgraded the flex plate at and had to replaced the internal oil pump inside the gearbox all for 28K.

So that my list, and have spend my fare share on her to keep her in good nic!! If there is anything I should direct my attention soon please feel free to note that here!!

Have a 2003 td5 Klm cost meR90,000 4 years ago spent approx 50,000 on it .just done klm 6000 Namibia trip wouldn’t change it .never get my money back.love driving it

My beloved Disco 2 td5 2003 is at 346000KMS - had her 12 years now & I also spent a bit over the years. (recon transfer box is the biggest expense plus 2 injectors).
    Love driving her & now getting her ready for Kgalagadi & Namibia in December
    NEVER DRIVE FASTER THAN YOUR GUARDIAN ANGEL CAN FLY
    2003 Disco II TD5 ES Manual [SIGPIC]
    2011 Freelander2 SD4 HSE A/T

Unless you have either been or convinced yourself that you need to be rid of it, I'd keep it.
    You have already done some big ticket repairs, so you should be in the clear, barring a disaster, which would happen anyway, if it was your turn for it.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Just look at all these happy Land Rover owners. makes my heart really happy. considering the other thread there was.

At 255k Kms any vehicle will require repairs and attention. My TD5 at 290k Km also has to have something replaced every now and then.
    If you had to take the cost of a 2nd hand 6 year old platkar (Say 100K) which would also have 100+k Km on, and spend that cash on your TD5, it would be 100% better and more reliable.
    .................................................. ......
    Gary W

Discovery 2 (Td5) Best 4x4xfar
    BMW GS 1200 Adventure. For when the road ends...
    Jurgens XT120..home away from home.

Hi Crash
    (You know who I am! :-)
    As you know I also own a Disco II Td5 Auto.
    I also had to spend a lot of money during the last two years on mine: gearbox rebuild, new bolts in the steering rack, new L front wheel bearing - not to mention the numerous oil seals.....
    I recently decided to sell mine, but when I realised I'd get R55k at best for it I decided its just crazy to spend so much on it, and let someone else benefit from the spend.
    I also enjoy driving it tremendously!
    I've probably lost the confidence (right now) to take a trip through Botswana with it, but it stays a great weekend car!
    Who knows - if it doesn't give me pains again in the next year or so I might take it on a Botswana trip.

(I must mention that you don't see many of them overlanding Botswana or Namibia. I think it is the reliability issue.)

There is obviously not a simple/easy answer to your question.

If I were you I'd keep it another 3 years and then make a call. It's such a wonderful vehicle. Enjoy it a bit longer.

Get a bit of a "return" on your spend first.
    Last edited by Danie Gouws; 2018/09/30 at 07:21 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Danie Gouws For This Useful Post: