Trump...

Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump...

Default Trump...

I just listened to his speach addressing the UN.
    If only half of what he says is true, then he's achieved a heck of a lot in his short time.

Personality aside, is he really that bad?

https://www.enca.com/news/watch-trum...box=1537891578
    Last edited by Bacon; 2018/09/25 at 08:32 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bacon For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Trump...

America first!

he has done well for America- if you look at the economic numbers, stock exchange, unemployment down, growth up etc.

but

at a cost to emerging markets - Indirectly of course- long term unintended consequences of it ? Anybody’s guess

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I just listened to his speach addressing the UN.
    If only half of what he says is true, then he's achieved a heck of a lot in his short time.

Personality aside, is he really that bad?

https://www.enca.com/news/watch-trum...box=1537891578
    I like him on ‘The Apprentice’.
    Sent from my iPhone

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    America first!

he has done well for America- if you look at the economic numbers, stock exchange, unemployment down, growth up etc.

but

at a cost to emerging markets - Indirectly of course- long term unintended consequences of it ? Anybody’s guess
    I follow the US stock markets quite closely and the economic turnaround started in 2015 so it's most certainly not something that Trump can be credited with. What he has done is increased the national debt dramatically while under Obama it had stabilised and was about to decline as they started to unwind quantitive easing. He also gave himself a massive tax cut while claiming he works for free, you've got to love his spin!

At at a recent investment conference Trump's trade war was identified as the number one risk to global trade and consequently equity markets. To the extent that a high US inflation and high interest rate cycle was predicted if he follows through on his plan and the scaring thing is that the man follows through.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

The moment when the UN delegates started laughing in the middle of his speech was quite something , I almost choked on my Windhoek Draught...it was funny and cringing at the same tim, very bizarre.
    He took it quite well , mind you .

@ River Rat, thankypu for bringing some facts to the table

Love him or hate him, he could very well be a two term president.
    But some of his ideas he would have to get rid of.
    Some times when he makes speeches , his wife's eyeballs roll back as if to say
    "what are you saying" embarrassed , but he seems to get away with it, well for now any way.

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OFFROAD ADDICT For This Useful Post:

I think it's not just his wife's eyes that roll back, more like the world's eyes collectively roll back...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

I did listen the speech and then comments after that. Nearly no comments. The whole speech has been downplayed but if you listen it there is really big issues for many countries:
    - USA will limit peace keeping costs
    - UN must get their act together
    - USA will not give foreign aid as in the past
    - USA will not pay defense costs of free riders (This is a very long list of countries)
    - OPEC must not increase prices and they better start dishing out those oil dollars to help others (See Middle East)
    - Germany will be Russian lapdog (not those words but in reality)
    - Sort out illegal immigration
    - Stop Iran
    - Stop totally unfair trade (This specific issue I been waiting for at least 30 years). American tax payer has uplifted half the world

That is some of the items. It rattles many politicians. If T is two terms the world will be quite a bit different place.

Developing countries may suffer somewhere along the line but is it the American tax payer who should pay upliftment and support corrupt government to survive? Where we will be hit is the fact that China must increasingly find more markets outside USA to prevent internal political unrest. Bad for us is that our bosses just allow killing our economy.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    I did listen the speech and then comments after that. Nearly no comments. The whole speech has been downplayed but if you listen it there is really big issues for many countries:
    - USA will limit peace keeping costs
    - UN must get their act together
    - USA will not give foreign aid as in the past
    - USA will not pay defense costs of free riders (This is a very long list of countries)
    - OPEC must not increase prices and they better start dishing out those oil dollars to help others (See Middle East)
    - Germany will be Russian lapdog (not those words but in reality)
    - Sort out illegal immigration
    - Stop Iran
    - Stop totally unfair trade (This specific issue I been waiting for at least 30 years). American tax payer has uplifted half the world

That is some of the items. It rattles many politicians. If T is two terms the world will be quite a bit different place.

Developing countries may suffer somewhere along the line but is it the American tax payer who should pay upliftment and support corrupt government to survive? Where we will be hit is the fact that China must increasingly find more markets outside USA to prevent internal political unrest. Bad for us is that our bosses just allow killing our economy.
    The irony of his speech is profound.

• A lack of peacekeeping means more desperate migrants, watch this space.
    • The UN issue is a mixed bag what he is really saying is you must do what the US wants you to and you must pay for it. But he is right, that like all committees they're long on talk and short on action.
    • No foreign aid reduces US influence and opens the door for China, which supports your last point.
    • As for defence spend I happen to know what you see is not what you get here. It's the first administration to stop reporting to congress on where US forces are deployed, this used to be done every six months.
    • The rise in oil prices are a direct result of his policy on Iran and by the way high oil prices suits the Republicans so this is him deflecting from taking the blame for higher fuel prices.
    • The facts are that the Germans buy less energy from Russia than they buy from France so this is simply Trumpian BS. Again he is deflecting from his own problems as being perceived as Putin's puppy.
    • The global trade issue is fascinating because he assumes that the US can compete on a global scale. My own experience suggests otherwise, we were selling military equipment to they US and Obama's administration insisted that we assemble these in the US. Surprisingly the US manufacturers could just about match our labour hours in terms of productivity but the cost of the labour per hour was double, this led to additional cost of roughly 15%. My experience in China on a different product was that their productivity was marginally better than ours and that's because they automate more than we do but they beat us hands down in terms of labour costs per hour and energy costs. Where the US leads is in high end technology and for example China buys chips from the US and sells the end product back to the US. So now the trade tariffs are applied by China to the chips and the US puts a higher tariff on the end product, this is what drives inflation and higher interest rates. You could argue that the US could manufacture the end product themselves but these skills are in short supply in the US and costly when available. So they either import labour or the costs go up, he will not import labour. It is clear that Trump is not an intellect when it comes to economics, maybe that's why he has been declared bankrupt three times, now he gets the chance bankrupt a country, let's hope not the world!

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

There's a lot of talk among economists about the state of the US economy. According to some, there's more danger of a big collapse than before 2008. And the fundamentals are worse. It's going to be fascinating to hear Trump spin the collapse, when or if it happens. Because he's basing most of his bragging on the current state of the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    The moment when the UN delegates started laughing in the middle of his speech was quite something , I almost choked on my Windhoek Draught...it was funny and cringing at the same tim, very bizarre.
    He took it quite well , mind you .

@ River Rat, thankypu for bringing some facts to the table
    What facts?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

i like him,but time will tell , i would like to be able to watch fox new and not just cnn who is anti trump.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

22. The Following User Says Thank You to peter bee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by peter bee View Post
    i like him,but time will tell , i would like to be able to watch fox new and not just cnn who is anti trump.
    Peter, if CNN is anti-Trump, what do you call Fox?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    I follow the US stock markets quite closely and the economic turnaround started in 2015 so it's most certainly not something that Trump can be credited with.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/18/the-...since-fdr.html

GP0214
    Freddie W
    ORRA AG25
    2006 Toyota Prado. EFS,Frontrunner RR,RTT,
    2010 Mahindra Thar (Sold)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T 4 2 For This Useful Post:

fox is for trump, cnn against him, would be nice to be able to watch both sides of the same story.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

28. The Following User Says Thank You to peter bee For This Useful Post:

...more embarrassing and disappointing was when it was SA's turn to speak, instead of committing to root out corruption; combat crime and improve the economic relations that will increase productivity and reduce unemployment (which is what we want to hear..) - we got our president beating the same old drum, just count the number of times he used the words: Nelson Mandela; Please subsidize the poor; Apaartheid; Injustices of the past and land redistribution...
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Last edited by SimonB; 2018/09/26 at 09:52 AM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

CNN, MSNBC, NYT and the rest of the US liberal media are running very low on credibility right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter bee View Post
    fox is for trump, cnn against him, would be nice to be able to watch both sides of the same story.
    Just listen to the speach and make up your own mind.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

32. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    America first!

but

But why is emerging markets America's problem? The emerging markets hates the West but stand bowl handed for aid.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to JCMostert For This Useful Post:

One of the most apt descriptions of the Trump/Obama economy I've read is - Obama is the guy who after failing to open a jar, passes it to someone else who opens it easily, then turns around and says "I loosened it for you!"

Obama tried to spend and regulate his way to prosperity, just like Cyril is trying to do now in RSA. Both are typical politicians that cannot admit that more government is almost never the solution to anything. Trump has proven that if you de-regulate and let people keep more of their own money, then the country will boom. He just needs to reign in the out of control spending.
    Any minority that advocates for gun control is either wilfully ignorant, or has never opened a history book.

The problem with collective punishment - is that sooner or later you're part of the collective.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluePaj For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 51 ... LastLast