My complete off-grid setup home. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: My complete off-grid setup home.

Quote Originally Posted by BluePaj View Post
    There's a guy down the road from me who went off grid.

He did not want to change anything in his house and hates gas so everything is still full electric, stove, geyser etc he has 60,000 btus of aircon in the house too.

His system ran him about R750k with the batteries being the biggest cost due to the massive amp draw.
    60,000 BTUs of aircon? Good grief, that must be an aircon in every room? A standard high output 250v is max 12,000BTU?

I'm not surprised it cost him that, but he can't be struggling for money when the aircon unit costs must be over R50k........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    What would you charge for a ballpark assessment?

I just need an amount to work towards, not anything cast in stone.
    I wouldn't charge anybody. It's a hobby in my retirement.

I did the courses to supplement my formal training, qualifications and lifetime involvement in electronic systems.

Kinda like somebody who cooks all the time doing a cooking course, or a coffee lover doing a Barista course. (Pretty sure there must be a brewing equivalent)

Or maybe even an accomplished 4x4'er doing an advanced driving or recovery course.

------------------------

It really is quite simple to break it down into fairly discrete and easy to do steps. A couple of simple questions that need answers. I have never actually sat down and put together a proper list.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

It really is quite simple to break it down into fairly discrete and easy to do steps. A couple of simple questions that need answers. I have never actually sat down and put together a proper list.
    I'll be the proefkonyn (i can't spell guineau pig as you can see).

New thread? Maybe we help somebody else as well.

Default Re: My off-grid house.

Op what part of the country is the property located?

I'll be the proefkonyn (i can't spell guineau pig as you can see).

New thread? Maybe we help somebody else as well.
    I'm thinking a nice flow chart.

I will work on it and start a new thread.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My off-grid house.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Op what part of the country is the property located?
    Spain. Between Barcelona and Valencia, but inland.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

60,000 BTUs of aircon? Good grief, that must be an aircon in every room? A standard high output 250v is max 12,000BTU?

I'm not surprised it cost him that, but he can't be struggling for money when the aircon unit costs must be over R50k........
    He had a 24,000 btu just for the garage and "Liked to live in the arctic" in the rest of the house. If I remember correctly his electric bill used to be R4k+ per month.
    Any minority that advocates for gun control is either wilfully ignorant, or has never opened a history book.

Quote Originally Posted by BluePaj View Post
    He had a 24,000 btu just for the garage and "Liked to live in the arctic" in the rest of the house. If I remember correctly his electric bill used to be R4k+ per month.
    I probably have that much. Lets see 35K + 12K + 12K + 12K. Easy peasy to get to 60K btu. Not excessive at all. Lounge and three bedrooms. My previous house in Durban had 35 +12 +12 +12 +12 +18. Never ran more than 2 or 3 at a time, the mains breaker would trip.

The trick to off-grid is energy management. The national grid has a Base Load and a Peak Load, just like a car needs only so much oomph to cruise but much more to accelerate and climb mountains.

If you design a home system for peak consumption you gonna hurt your pocket.

So you manage your consumption. Only the aircon on in the room you are in. Only use the aircon when the system is producing free power. There are now automatic home energy management systems becoming available. So basically a PLC that monitors and controls.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Wink Re: My complete off-grid setup home.

...and I thought my 9k btu was doing o.k!
    304AMC CJ-7.... The economical version
    5.0 V8 600Cfm Holley, Custom pipes, Edelbrock inlet mani.
    Land Rover 101Forward Control Axles.
    4" Suspension Lift, 2" Body Lift
    On 35's...but not for long..

I have a 12,000BTU that keeps a 14 m3 coldroom at 6degC without even running constantly.

24,000BTU just for the garage leaves me dumbstruck.

I have a 12,000BTU that keeps a 14 m3 coldroom at 6degC without even running constantly.

24,000BTU just for the garage leaves me dumbstruck.
    It probably wasn't a single garage..

Has anybody heard of a Sirius Capacitor? it was designed to replace a normal battery bank.
    I have only heard of two installations on farms that previously used PV / batteries and both are very happy with the result.

Different to a conventional lead acid or any exotic material batteries they can be drained to 0% with no damage and can be fully charged in a fraction of the time.
    Heat in conventional batteries increase resistance and reduce the batteries life while capacitors are not susceptible to these problems and can operate a a much higher temperature.
    They have a much longer lifespan and can be drained and recharged a million times instead of a few thousand times like normal batteries.
    They claim that their capacitor storage will outlive the life of the PV solar panels they are attached to, which will save a lot of money in the long run.
    They cost a little less than a similar size battery installation and can be upgraded in series as demand require.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dawid Rabie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Rabie View Post
    Has anybody heard of a Sirius Capacitor? it was designed to replace a normal battery bank.
    I have only heard of two installations on farms that previously used PV / batteries and both are very happy with the result.

Different to a conventional lead acid or any exotic material batteries they can be drained to 0% with no damage and can be fully charged in a fraction of the time.
    Heat in conventional batteries increase resistance and reduce the batteries life while capacitors are not susceptible to these problems and can operate a a much higher temperature.
    They have a much longer lifespan and can be drained and recharged a million times instead of a few thousand times like normal batteries.
    They claim that their capacitor storage will outlive the life of the PV solar panels they are attached to, which will save a lot of money in the long run.
    They cost a little less than a similar size battery installation and can be upgraded in series as demand require.
    yes, they are called super capacitors but can't be used for slow discharge storage as far as I know?

Thanks, you don't say what the capital outlay was?
    that's like asking a woman what her age is... obviously the answer is A LOT!
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

My apologies, I should have done more research about the The Kilowatt Lab Sirius Capacitor before I posted the question.
    There is a YouTube video of it being tested by people with calibrated test equipment to see if Kilowatts claims are real.
    Their verdict is that the voltage discharge graph is not that of a capacitor, they believe it follows that pattern of a lithium oxide battery.
    It also required a lot of standby energy to keep the electronics running so much so that it will run itself down fairly quickly if it is not recharged.

it is not what I expected.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dawid Rabie For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2