Ga-Ma "trail" on Klein Pella, Northern Cape for the adventurous - Page 13

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Default Re: Ga-Ma "trail" on Klein Pella, Northern Cape for the adventurous

Grumbles

Everything here is "more remote".
    The best will be to talk to the people at the Klein Pella Guest house, we have campsites ranging from basic to private ablutions and power. we have a camp site at the river that is remote and suitable for self reliant camping .

We have not had anyone with a trailer of any kind through any of the trails, and except for E trail I do not think it is adviseable (I would say impossible, but anything can be done).
    The route does a big circle that will take about 2 days of relaxed driving to finish with 2 - 4 vehicles with the river camp at the halfway mark. There are farm roads between the river camp and guest house as well, so it would be better to set up camp at the river, and then drive the trails without the trailer.
    Klein Pella Guest House number : 054 972 9712, talk to Glenda or Aletta. Contact me about the trails for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Grumbles

Everything here is "more remote".
    The best will be to talk to the people at the Klein Pella Guest house, we have campsites ranging from basic to private ablutions and power. we have a camp site at the river that is remote and suitable for self reliant camping .

We have not had anyone with a trailer of any kind through any of the trails, and except for E trail I do not think it is adviseable (I would say impossible, but anything can be done).
    The route does a big circle that will take about 2 days of relaxed driving to finish with 2 - 4 vehicles with the river camp at the halfway mark. There are farm roads between the river camp and guest house as well, so it would be better to set up camp at the river, and then drive the trails without the trailer.
    Klein Pella Guest House number : 054 972 9712, talk to Glenda or Aletta. Contact me about the trails for more details.
    Thank Bex,

Will do so when we plan a trip that way.

Cheers
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!

Continuing where I left off.
    I was away for a few weeks and had to catch up at work a bit before I could continue work on the trail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190713_171117.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	376.9 KB 
ID:	533929
    I cleared away some rocks on the slope where I had stopped before.

Name:	20190713_171238.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	533930

We have a large group of 4x4 vehicles (13 + ) coming to drive the A trail this weekend, so I spent some time driving through the trail and fixing up some built up places where the rocks have settled in or were kicked out by vehicles passing over. Some of the vehicles are the new Toyota double cabs so we made sure of the 2 remaining places that could be a close call for those.
    While traveling through i took some video of the trail. i have not yet found a good app to edit the video with so i uploaded it in 7 sections and put it together in a playlist.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...WJiYEPdvA2QIBE

It is about 25 mins of the total 2 hr drive , just the best parts. It is not great video, but it should give you a good feel for how it is.I am still playing with the camera bracket.

The plan is for the group to do A Trail on Saterday and then see if some of the more adventerous want to do the C trail on the Sunday.

We had a group booked in this weekend , they camped for 3 days at The Klein Pella kamping site and planned to do part of the trail. We decided to make a day of it and on Saterday morning we guided them through A trail, we would discuss wether they wanted to do more after that. They were not a hardcore 4x4 group but have done grade 4 trails as a group in the past. only a few of the vehicles had some mods done.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	347.2 KB 
ID:	534704
    We met them at the camping spot at 9 in the morning as arranged, but it was obvious that they were relaxed so we took it easy and completed the admin while some were finishing breakfast.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	663.9 KB 
ID:	534719
    The climb to the first lookout point is partly done for the view and partly to get an idea of the experience level of the individual drivers.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	509.8 KB 
ID:	534721
    It is a grade 3 obstacle with low range needed but not neccessarily difflocks, though they do help a lot. So part was to see whether the driver would realise it and engage his locks.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	542.3 KB 
ID:	534724
    A few places had more than one line and I wanted to see how they choose their line.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	581.5 KB 
ID:	534725
    Overall it went well.

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	350.4 KB 
ID:	534726
    so we were on our way into A Trail.

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	472.7 KB 
ID:	534733
    In the more difficult obstacles we walked through and discussed the lines as sometimes you had to complete 2 or 3 obstacles with a vehicle before the next vehicle could enter into it.

Name:	8.jpg 
Size:	471.0 KB 
ID:	534734
    And in some cases where we had enough space we placed 2 or 3 guides in line to guide a vehicle through each part so that the line could keep moving.

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	540.5 KB 
ID:	534735
    In this downhill at the spot where the leading Prado is all vehicles slip for at least about 1 meter before it grips again. I warned all the drivers about it before hand so they were prepared for it, but I still saw some big eyes when it happened.

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	517.1 KB 
ID:	534736
    I was worried about getting the big cruisers through some of the tight spots , but big as they are they were a treat. Their ability to crawl through just made it that much easier to guide through as the driver could give all his attention to the guide while the double cabs both manual and auto had their attention devided between throttle , brake and clutch control and the guide.

Name:	11.jpg 
Size:	493.3 KB 
ID:	534737
    As anticipated the new hilux pickups were the most dificult to fit through the tight turns and gaps and a there were a few scrapes on some stone gaurds.

Name:	12.jpg 
Size:	456.8 KB 
ID:	534738
    We completed A trail in 6 hours with a 1.5 hr stop for a quick wors braai for lunch. The group decided that they wanted to do a bit more but nothing heavier than what they had done in A trail, so we did E Trail on the way back to camp.

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	710.5 KB 
ID:	534739
    E trail was a perfect end to the day as it is a more relaxed drive. During the day you could feel how the tension was easing by how the talking on the 2 way radios was changing, by the time were on E Trail the radios were abuzz.

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	415.4 KB 
ID:	534742
    The group enjoyed it and there is already talk about another trip to do more of the trails.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

I have not had much time to work on F trail in the last couple of months, but I have started up again now.

Name:	20190802_153651_resized_1.jpg 
Size:	697.4 KB 
ID:	536005
    I have reached the top of the hill at last.

Name:	20190802_150156_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	883.9 KB 
ID:	536006
    Then i spent some time removing more rocks from the path.
    Going in with the bike is much quicker than with the Hardbody which means more time to work on the trail.

Some unforseen events plus a bad cold has kept me from working on the trail a bit. Yesterday evening i had an opening but decided to rather level out some rocks that has been bothering drivers on the A route in preparation for our 4x4 Day.

Name:	20190827_180424_resized.jpg 
Size:	473.0 KB 
ID:	538787
    All of the rocks that we removed were rocks that i left in strategic spots to make obstacles more interesting/difficult from my point of view, but it became clear that they can potentially damage vehicles if the drivers arent keeping a good lookout and walk through some obstacles before driving through.

I prefer to keep the route more interesting and adventerous to keep adrinaline flowing, but it looks like that is not the norm.

Even though we smoothed out some of the rough edges it is stilla grade 4 and experience and difflocks are stilll needed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    I did a quick drive through to record the track on GPS and decided to try a quick video at tthe same time. the video came out better than i thoguh it would considering it was made with my phone sitting on the dash.
    I did drive much faster than you should on a trail like this, I didnt have much time. The 4x4 part took me just over 13 minutes thoguh it should normally take at least 30 - 35 minutes without the time spent at the lookout point. I believe E trail to be a grade 3.
    https://youtu.be/SzueiMckju4
    Subscribed to your YT Channel. Thanks Bex
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Thanks Estee.
    I will start working on the new F route again, I spent all my free time over the past few weeks preparing for the 4X4 day we had this past Saterday. We worked on some of the most dificult obstacles on route A to reduce the technicality level of the route a bit. We had a great day and everybody did A route, we stopped for a lunch break under teh shade of some big trees on the river bank and then we split up with the real enthusiasts doing the B and C route and the rest doing the E route.
    I will post some pictures of the day soon, unfortunately I did not really have time to take pictures or video on this trip as I had a lot on my hands.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Bex, any Hummer H3s done the trails yet?

Asking for a friend
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

None yet .
    What is the wheelsbase and width on the ousides of the tyres of the Hummer?

The B and E route will not be a problem, and the A route should be OK now that we worked on it some more, the C route might be a challenge though I think it should be possible.
    The narrowest parts of the route gives you the option of making the tight turn or if you have the ground clearance to climb over the rock on the side, driver that dont know that they should choose either line and end up in between the 2 are the ones that end up with the scuffed kickplates.
    Last edited by Bex; 2019/09/09 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo's

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

I checked the H3 specs and found this.

Wheelbase : 284 cm or 111.81 inches
    Length : 478 cm or 188.19 inches
    Width : 199 cm or 78.35 inches
    Height : 187 cm or 73.62 inches
    read more at: https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-sp...mer-H3-37.html

If this is the case the H3 will do the trail, as long as your aproach and departure angles are good and you have at least rear difflock.
    We had an old Landy on the trail and it managed the A trail without difflocks, but had to do some stuff with some momentum and did not venture into the more difficult trails.
    Last edited by Bex; 2019/09/09 at 10:29 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

It has 4H, 4H CDL and TC, 4L, Front and Rear Lockers + CDL and the 4:1 low range ratio.

See approach and departure angles below:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The angles look good , I think the H3 should be able to get through all of it.
    Some more pictures of Saterday.

The old Landy was game , and though it started leaking water early on and I hadto give the driver a 25L can to keep it filled up, about halfway through the day it stopped losing water and had had no more trouble appart from the crossover climbs that it managed with some momentum.

The group strung out through spotted cat alley.

Futher along

Climbing down Finger pass.

Sliding down "lang bult", Everybody has some wheel slip here, none of the ABS systems have been able to cope with this bit.

Everybody at the bottom of "Lang bult"

"Lang Bult" in the far distance with some straglers still discussing the descend.

The last drop out of "Beitel pass'
    Last edited by Bex; 2019/09/09 at 04:22 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Nice! That old Landy looks so at home!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Lyk na 'n baie lekker roete!
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFS..._as=subscriber
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogaards For This Useful Post:

Bex

I had the opertunity to observe and test the new Jimny this weekend and I really like it.
    We did E trail and bits of C trail and some of the dune.

Name:	20190922_085755.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	470.8 KB 
ID:	541823
    The Owner of the Jimny has done some rocky 4x4 trails before and made light work of the first half of C trail.

Name:	20190922_085837.jpg 
Size:	640.9 KB 
ID:	541824
    Inspecting the first obstacle.

Name:	20190922_085944.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	476.4 KB 
ID:	541825
    Looking from the bottom up.

Name:	20190922_085949.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	617.5 KB 
ID:	541826
    Starting down.

Name:	20190922_090003.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	611.8 KB 
ID:	541827
    The descent controll working well, but there was still some wheel slip.

Name:	20190922_090900.jpg 
Size:	473.1 KB 
ID:	541829
    Starting up a really steep slope. The problem with the quick revving engine is that while it gives plenty of power on the dune , here on the steep gravel climb where you need slow speed for maximum grip it tends to rev up easliy and kick a bit. The owner did manage to control it a bit better on the next climbs though.

Name:	20190922_091722.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	578.0 KB 
ID:	541831
    The Jimney is so small and nimble, it can choose different lines on a road where normal vehicles need all of the road just to get through.

Name:	20190922_092058.jpg 
Size:	658.9 KB 
ID:	541834
    Time was a bit limited and i was not sure that the owner was ready to do the last bit of C trail, so instead we turned around and came back.

Name:	20190922_092119.jpg 
Size:	421.6 KB 
ID:	541835
    The obstacles are completely different in the oposite direction and we thoroughly enjoyed these gravel climbs.

Name:	20190922_092138.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	768.3 KB 
ID:	541837

I have some video, I will be editing them soon and upload to Youtube.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13