Ga-Ma "trail" on Klein Pella, Northern Cape for the adventurous - Page 13

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Default Re: Ga-Ma "trail" on Klein Pella, Northern Cape for the adventurous

Grumbles

Everything here is "more remote".
    The best will be to talk to the people at the Klein Pella Guest house, we have campsites ranging from basic to private ablutions and power. we have a camp site at the river that is remote and suitable for self reliant camping .

We have not had anyone with a trailer of any kind through any of the trails, and except for E trail I do not think it is adviseable (I would say impossible, but anything can be done).
    The route does a big circle that will take about 2 days of relaxed driving to finish with 2 - 4 vehicles with the river camp at the halfway mark. There are farm roads between the river camp and guest house as well, so it would be better to set up camp at the river, and then drive the trails without the trailer.
    Klein Pella Guest House number : 054 972 9712, talk to Glenda or Aletta. Contact me about the trails for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Grumbles

Everything here is "more remote".
    The best will be to talk to the people at the Klein Pella Guest house, we have campsites ranging from basic to private ablutions and power. we have a camp site at the river that is remote and suitable for self reliant camping .

We have not had anyone with a trailer of any kind through any of the trails, and except for E trail I do not think it is adviseable (I would say impossible, but anything can be done).
    The route does a big circle that will take about 2 days of relaxed driving to finish with 2 - 4 vehicles with the river camp at the halfway mark. There are farm roads between the river camp and guest house as well, so it would be better to set up camp at the river, and then drive the trails without the trailer.
    Klein Pella Guest House number : 054 972 9712, talk to Glenda or Aletta. Contact me about the trails for more details.
    Thank Bex,

Will do so when we plan a trip that way.

Cheers
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!

Continuing where I left off.
    I was away for a few weeks and had to catch up at work a bit before I could continue work on the trail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190713_171117.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	376.9 KB 
ID:	533929
    I cleared away some rocks on the slope where I had stopped before.

Name:	20190713_171238.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	533930

We have a large group of 4x4 vehicles (13 + ) coming to drive the A trail this weekend, so I spent some time driving through the trail and fixing up some built up places where the rocks have settled in or were kicked out by vehicles passing over. Some of the vehicles are the new Toyota double cabs so we made sure of the 2 remaining places that could be a close call for those.
    While traveling through i took some video of the trail. i have not yet found a good app to edit the video with so i uploaded it in 7 sections and put it together in a playlist.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...WJiYEPdvA2QIBE

It is about 25 mins of the total 2 hr drive , just the best parts. It is not great video, but it should give you a good feel for how it is.I am still playing with the camera bracket.

The plan is for the group to do A Trail on Saterday and then see if some of the more adventerous want to do the C trail on the Sunday.

We had a group booked in this weekend , they camped for 3 days at The Klein Pella kamping site and planned to do part of the trail. We decided to make a day of it and on Saterday morning we guided them through A trail, we would discuss wether they wanted to do more after that. They were not a hardcore 4x4 group but have done grade 4 trails as a group in the past. only a few of the vehicles had some mods done.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	347.2 KB 
ID:	534704
    We met them at the camping spot at 9 in the morning as arranged, but it was obvious that they were relaxed so we took it easy and completed the admin while some were finishing breakfast.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	663.9 KB 
ID:	534719
    The climb to the first lookout point is partly done for the view and partly to get an idea of the experience level of the individual drivers.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	509.8 KB 
ID:	534721
    It is a grade 3 obstacle with low range needed but not neccessarily difflocks, though they do help a lot. So part was to see whether the driver would realise it and engage his locks.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	542.3 KB 
ID:	534724
    A few places had more than one line and I wanted to see how they choose their line.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	581.5 KB 
ID:	534725
    Overall it went well.

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	350.4 KB 
ID:	534726
    so we were on our way into A Trail.

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	472.7 KB 
ID:	534733
    In the more difficult obstacles we walked through and discussed the lines as sometimes you had to complete 2 or 3 obstacles with a vehicle before the next vehicle could enter into it.

Name:	8.jpg 
Size:	471.0 KB 
ID:	534734
    And in some cases where we had enough space we placed 2 or 3 guides in line to guide a vehicle through each part so that the line could keep moving.

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	540.5 KB 
ID:	534735
    In this downhill at the spot where the leading Prado is all vehicles slip for at least about 1 meter before it grips again. I warned all the drivers about it before hand so they were prepared for it, but I still saw some big eyes when it happened.

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	517.1 KB 
ID:	534736
    I was worried about getting the big cruisers through some of the tight spots , but big as they are they were a treat. Their ability to crawl through just made it that much easier to guide through as the driver could give all his attention to the guide while the double cabs both manual and auto had their attention devided between throttle , brake and clutch control and the guide.

Name:	11.jpg 
Size:	493.3 KB 
ID:	534737
    As anticipated the new hilux pickups were the most dificult to fit through the tight turns and gaps and a there were a few scrapes on some stone gaurds.

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	456.8 KB 
ID:	534738
    We completed A trail in 6 hours with a 1.5 hr stop for a quick wors braai for lunch. The group decided that they wanted to do a bit more but nothing heavier than what they had done in A trail, so we did E Trail on the way back to camp.

Name:	13.jpg 
Size:	710.5 KB 
ID:	534739
    E trail was a perfect end to the day as it is a more relaxed drive. During the day you could feel how the tension was easing by how the talking on the 2 way radios was changing, by the time were on E Trail the radios were abuzz.

Name:	14.jpg 
Size:	415.4 KB 
ID:	534742
    The group enjoyed it and there is already talk about another trip to do more of the trails.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

I have not had much time to work on F trail in the last couple of months, but I have started up again now.

Name:	20190802_153651_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	697.4 KB 
ID:	536005
    I have reached the top of the hill at last.

Name:	20190802_150156_resized_1.jpg 
Size:	883.9 KB 
ID:	536006
    Then i spent some time removing more rocks from the path.
    Going in with the bike is much quicker than with the Hardbody which means more time to work on the trail.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13