Garmin 276C Update Software and Maps

Default Garmin 276C Update Software and Maps

Is there any way of outsourcing this? Just received my new 2nd hand 276. It has the SSA Garmap 2013 on it. I tried to just update the software via Garmin Express, but alas it seems my apple does not recognise the device, so that won't work. Will Garmin take it in and update and possibly upload new map set if available?

Default Re: Garmin 276C Update Software and Maps

No. Why did you buy one in the first place? The thing has been discontinued.

Makara. The 276 is still one of the best gps devices garmin brought out. After they discontinued it, they brought it back due to popular demand.

Reece. Garmin should be able to update the unit for you. You will not be able to do so via Garmin Express. I doubt if Basecamp will be able to communicate with the device, but Mapsource is still available and, in my opinion, much easier to use. Depending on where you want to use the unit, I would say that T4A maps are the way to go. For “normal” city navigation, Google Maps on your smartphone is more than good enough.

Johan 😎
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2016 Isuzu KB300 Ext Cab 4x4

Thanks Johan. T4A is exactly what I'm after, and will only use it outside of urban settings, so no need for a street navigator.

Why did I buy it? Because it is an awesome unit, robust , easy to use, and I can use it on the boat too. All for less than 3k. Bargain in my book.

Even if I can't update it, it will still be good for the next few years...

I'll give Garmin a call

Quote Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    Thanks Johan. T4A is exactly what I'm after, and will only use it outside of urban settings, so no need for a street navigator.

Why did I buy it? Because it is an awesome unit, robust , easy to use, and I can use it on the boat too. All for less than 3k. Bargain in my book.

Even if I can't update it, it will still be good for the next few years...

I'll give Garmin a call
    Well good luck and let us know how it went. Didn't have much success with them in the past wrt support for discontinued units.

Quote Originally Posted by J Snyman View Post
    Makara. The 276 is still one of the best gps devices garmin brought out. After they discontinued it, they brought it back due to popular demand.

Johan 😎
    It was a good unit yes. Not so sure about the bringing back though. According to the list below it's dsicontinued.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Garmin_products

Is there any way of outsourcing this? Just received my new 2nd hand 276. It has the SSA Garmap 2013 on it. I tried to just update the software via Garmin Express, but alas it seems my apple does not recognise the device, so that won't work. Will Garmin take it in and update and possibly upload new map set if available?
    It's easy to update the firmware - look for GPSMAP276C_570.exe, which is the latest firmware for the 276C. If you pm me your email address I can zip it and email it to you.

As per others, it is still an awesome GPSr. I recently sold my old ones as I have the Cx now, with which I'm also very happy

5.70 is here : https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...ils.jsp?id=885

Instructions at the bottom of the page.
    Kobus

HDJ81 VX

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Hi Reece

I also got a second hand one a few weeks ago.

I bought the latest T4A.Got Mapsource going and was a easy install.
    When I got the unit I had the message "missing battery".After some google I managed to "jump start" the battery.

All is working well now great Unit

Enjoy
    "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hiluxsurf For This Useful Post:

Thanks Hilux Surf, might just shoot you a PM to find out how you did it if thats ok?

Thanks Hilux Surf, might just shoot you a PM to find out how you did it if thats ok?
    No problem
    "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

Hi,

I agree 100%. I deliberately went out and got a 276 when my old Quest died, even though it was obsolete.

One of the best GPS units ever manufactured, and works great for me with Mapsource.

PS- It was replaced in the line up by the new 276Cx, which is quite cool but also quite expensive.
    Last edited by Ericl; 2018/09/21 at 10:57 PM.
    Eric
    ZS6 EPL / ORRA - T60
    ---------------------

ME_______ - '09 SUZUKI JIMNY - Pipe Bumper / Under body Protection / Winch / Snorkel / Roof Rack / VHF+UHF Comms
    SWAMBO__ - MAHINDRA BOLERO - Feels like an SJ / loads like a truck / tows like a tank!
    RETIRED___ - '99 Gen 1 Grand Vitara / 1.6 Vitara JLX ...x2 / SJ413 SWB ...x3 / SJ413LWB ...x1 / SJ410 ...x2.

Closing this out.

My local Trappers uploaded the latest Tracks4Africa for the cost of the maps and R150 additional, grand total R1000-00.

Could even keep my Garmap 2013 series. Only removed the Atlantic Highway Map set that was on it.