Discovery 4 Long Range Tank - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Discovery 4 Long Range Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Adriaan29q View Post
    That is a nice wheel carrier. Is the stock bumper cut open and the carrier installed "thru" the bumper?
    Yes - there is a access hole cut in the plastic on the bottom outside corner.

Seems very well thought thru.

Thanks. Wonder if they will make a carrier fit on a Jeep...
    Will have to ask.
    - Commander Hemi
    - Metalian Genie

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Mine is booked for this same Long Range tank in 2 weeks!!! Cant wait to get this baby fitted although I think it will be eye watering to fill it up being and extra 120L
    Last edited by DETOUR-GP; 2019/07/15 at 08:39 AM.
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

Quote Originally Posted by DETOUR-GP View Post
    Mine is booked for this same Long Range tank in 2 weeks!!! Cant wait to get this baby fitted although I think it will be eye watering to fill it up being and extra 120L

Mine took exactly 120.3 liters. And yes - something like R 1,600 to fill it up.

they did fantastic work. Highly recommended.

Mine took exactly 120.3 liters. And yes - something like R 1,600 to fill it up.

they did fantastic work. Highly recommended.
    Agreed, Peter & Ian do good work.... Only thing I would do is take a black rattlecan to that silver bracket on the long range tank.
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

Pulling out and older thread.

For the past year I have managed with the potential airlock in my Frontrunner long range tank in the D4. However I have another question and would like to know if any of you have experienced something similar?

In July we were in Mabuasehube and halfway between Matopi and Nossob I started pumping fuel from the extra tank to the main tank. All went well and it filled up perfectly. However 5min after filling the main tank (still driving) I started smelling petrol inside the car. I stopped immediately, grabbed the fire extinguisher and started investigating. The smell definitely came from the rear, right hand side of the vehicle. No smell of petrol in the front and nothing at the rear left hand side.

I could definitely see something wet on the chassis where the 2 tanks and all the pipework come together. As soon as we stopped there was no dripping of petrol and also the smell went away. I then thought it must be something like and overflow pipe or a breather pipe that was overflowing. We continued and had no smell for the next 30 odd minutes. After some heavy and very bumpy sand driving the smell came back. All in all I thought that when the tank is very full it does spill somewhere a tiny bit. As soon as the vehicle used a bit of fuel, gone was the smell.

Ever since I have been monitoring this issue. It seems only to happen when the vehicle is filled to the brim. Today I went for a short drive in Kruger and only filled about 40 liters of petrol. All fine and as usual no smell because the car is not 'overfilled'. However 2 hours later I could smell petrol inside the vehicle again. I pulled over leaving the vehicle running and could smell heavy fumes coming from the filler cap and pipe area. Generally from the right rear wheel arch. No dripping of petrol.

This afternoon I took out the wheel arch and plastic cover inside the arch exposing all the complicated pipe work. I can still smell heavy fumes, but I might be sensitive to the smell as well now. No leaking from what I can see whatsoever.

Has anyone experienced something similar? What is alarming is the heavy smell of petrol inside the car.

Thanks in advance

Andre
    2011 Discovery 4 V8 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by Fourie110 View Post
    Pulling out and older thread.

For the past year I have managed with the potential airlock in my Frontrunner long range tank in the D4. However I have another question and would like to know if any of you have experienced something similar?

In July we were in Mabuasehube and halfway between Matopi and Nossob I started pumping fuel from the extra tank to the main tank. All went well and it filled up perfectly. However 5min after filling the main tank (still driving) I started smelling petrol inside the car. I stopped immediately, grabbed the fire extinguisher and started investigating. The smell definitely came from the rear, right hand side of the vehicle. No smell of petrol in the front and nothing at the rear left hand side.

I could definitely see something wet on the chassis where the 2 tanks and all the pipework come together. As soon as we stopped there was no dripping of petrol and also the smell went away. I then thought it must be something like and overflow pipe or a breather pipe that was overflowing. We continued and had no smell for the next 30 odd minutes. After some heavy and very bumpy sand driving the smell came back. All in all I thought that when the tank is very full it does spill somewhere a tiny bit. As soon as the vehicle used a bit of fuel, gone was the smell.

Ever since I have been monitoring this issue. It seems only to happen when the vehicle is filled to the brim. Today I went for a short drive in Kruger and only filled about 40 liters of petrol. All fine and as usual no smell because the car is not 'overfilled'. However 2 hours later I could smell petrol inside the vehicle again. I pulled over leaving the vehicle running and could smell heavy fumes coming from the filler cap and pipe area. Generally from the right rear wheel arch. No dripping of petrol.

This afternoon I took out the wheel arch and plastic cover inside the arch exposing all the complicated pipe work. I can still smell heavy fumes, but I might be sensitive to the smell as well now. No leaking from what I can see whatsoever.

Has anyone experienced something similar? What is alarming is the heavy smell of petrol inside the car.

Thanks in advance

Andre
    mine is diesel and done by olw- have not experienced any odor in the car.

mine is diesel and done by olw- have not experienced any odor in the car.
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have Frontrunner tank or the new Overland Worx tank?
    2011 Discovery 4 V8 HSE

Thanks for the reply. Do you have Frontrunner tank or the new Overland Worx tank?

It's the OLW tank... So not particularly helpful to you... I'd certainly not want to smell those vapors in the car...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Update:

I took the rear wheel arch and plastic cover off, exposing all the pipe work and I can not find any leaks. I did a bit more driving and as Murphy likes it, nothing, no smell, no leak. I decided to drive to Hoedspruit which is a 40min drive and still nothing. I filled the vehicle until the '1st stop' on the pump and still nothing. I will continue the process.

Last night I did a bit more web research and found a guy that also developed a bad petrol odour in his 2011 D4 in the States. It turned out to be the fuel filter/pump that developed a bit of corrosion and developed the leak and bad odour in the car. I really hope that's not the case here. I'm hoping for a pipe, airlock or something small.

If the problem continues I will have a couple of options:

1. If it's the pump - get it fixed.
    2. If it's the extra fuel tank - either remove it and go back to just having 1 tank OR have a look at Overland Worx's tank

Can someone please explain the difference between the OLW tank and the Frontrunner tank for a D4? I do know that the OLW tank has a bigger capacity, but is it less complicated than the Frontrunner? Then I might be interested.

Cheers

Andre
    2011 Discovery 4 V8 HSE

Hey Andre:

I cannot comment on the Frontrunner setup as I have not seen one. The OLW system, as installed in mine a few months ago, consists of the following:

Dual filler points in the original location behind the fuel flap, with the LRT in the back. They are supplied with lockable caps.

The tank holds 120l, and in my view does not significantly protrude downwards more than the spare. Maybe a bit, I could measure it.

The fuel pickup is fitted on the right (if viewed from rear) of the tank, passes thru a filter, to an externally mounted fuel transfer pump which is on the "inside" of the vehicle from the wheel well, reasonably accessible.

The pump is controlled by a small VDO unit mounted to the left of the dash (there are pics elsewhere on the forum).

When turned on, fuel is pumped into the standard tank. If you leave the pump on, when the standard tank is full, fuel is returned to the LRT. I've not dug into exactly how this plumbing runs, but it works as intended.

When I originally picked it up, it had quite a small fuel filter in line before the pump - like on a lawn mower. This clogged with dirty fuel in Bots, and was replaced with a larger canister type filter. Since that was changed, it works great. Pumping takes about 35-45 minutes if the main tank is empty.

The VDO gauge is not accurate - it has 4 LEDs, and all 4 stay lit until the tank is about half empty (60 liters), it then progresses thru the leds relatively quickly. This is due to the shape of the tank being triangular.

The tank is steel, and has a rubberized finish on it. It did not originally - but there was some remedial work carried out very promptly and professionally by OLW, and they added this for me at no additional charge.

The VDO gauge and pump circuit are powered by the same circuit that controls the 12v points - eg, it stays on for a bit after you turn off the car, but then shuts down.

Overall very happy with it - especially with the larger filter. It was quite slow to pump before. Have had no problems with air locks.

If the petrol station attendant keeps filling after it clicks, I have had some fuel come back out the fill pipe while driving. It is important to tell them to stop after the first click, otherwise you get a diesel mess. Don't know why they insist on overfilling like that.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2019/10/22 at 11:20 AM.

Hi heyyahhey

Thank you so much for the in depth explanation. It really sounds like a very good option for me. If I am going to keep on struggling with my current set up I might just pop into OLW and see what we can do.

BTW your vehicle from behind looks very familiar to me. I was in Kruger last week and drove through the Lower Sabie campsite and saw an impressive looking D4 and from behind it looks very similar to your photos. That D4 wasn't perhaps yours?

Cheers

Andre
    2011 Discovery 4 V8 HSE

Hi heyyahhey

Thank you so much for the in depth explanation. It really sounds like a very good option for me. If I am going to keep on struggling with my current set up I might just pop into OLW and see what we can do.

BTW your vehicle from behind looks very familiar to me. I was in Kruger last week and drove through the Lower Sabie campsite and saw an impressive looking D4 and from behind it looks very similar to your photos. That D4 wasn't perhaps yours?

Cheers

Andre

small world - it absolutely was!

we had an amazing week there. Lions everywhere, Leopard 3m from the car, wild dog, hyena... was simply fantastic.

peters the guy to chat with on the LRT - it’s not “standard” olw work.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2