Surfs Up ! I Wish !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Surfs Up ! I Wish !

Hello 4x4 Friends !

I am Nick from Leicester in England, UK

Can anyone advise me please, I love this Car but it has issues I want fixed.

Toyota Hilux Surf 4Runner Gen3 KZN185 3.0 litre Automatic
    I bought the car from Lytham St Annes (up North) and drove it home to Leicester. Half way home the car developed a terrible shaking from the front, the steering wheel was going crazy.

I've had an MOT garage mechanic examine the car and he checked steering, ball joints, wheel bearings and suspension, all good. I then had the 2 x front wheels balanced. I asked a mechanic who I've known for years but is retiring soon to do an Oil change on the engine and gearbox, and he also checked the Oil in both Axles. Engine pulls strong.

But there is a Vibration when engaging the Auto box into the Driveposition driving down the road. Last Saturday after the wheel balance, I took the car out into the countryside with my family, while driving about 40 or 50 mph the vibration from the front happened again. It felt like something was holding back the car.

I've owned a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 3.0Automatic for 14 years and it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned and I've been driving since 1985. So I know something is seriously wrong withthe SURF.

What else could be wrong with the car ?

Thanks Guys
    Last edited by branyster; 2018/09/18 at 10:32 PM.

Default Re: Surfs Up ! I Wish !

Toyota Surf is like a Fortuner or Hilux?

Is yours a Jdm import?

Imported into UK in 2005. Early Hilux. 5 seater. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear 2.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	292.5 KB 
ID:	502596Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front 2.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	265.1 KB 
ID:	502597
    Last edited by branyster; 2018/09/18 at 11:13 PM.

That's a Japanese domestic model, the Surf is something like a Hilux/Fortuner crossbreed, those were never officially released in Sa so I'm not sure how similar they are to the variants we get here.

What engine does it have exactly?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/09/19 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    That's a Japanese domestic model, the Surf is something like a Hilux/Fortuner crossbreed, those were never officially released in Sa so I'm not sure how similar they are to the variants we get here.

What engine does it have exactly?
    Yep, Jap model, same as the US 4Runner Gen 3.

Chassis and suspension is the same as the Prado 90 and, I think, the FJ Cruiser.

Various engines available, diesels are mostly kz te ( intercooled from 1997 onwards).

Petrol engines are the 2.7 and the 3.4.

The surf is perfect for Lexus V8 conversions.

Drive is 4x2, switch to 4x4 on the button. Centre lockable diff. Hi and Lo range lever. Rare models have a rear lockable diff (like some Prado 90s), but it's made of cheese and rusts /disintegrates.

The Gen 2 Surf (4runner in US and UK), 1992- 1995, was based on the hilux pickup, so totally different chassis and suspension. Came with the dreaded 2.4, 2LT-E and later on (1993) with kz te.

cheers
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2018/09/19 at 01:29 PM.

1st and 2nd Gen were Hilux based.

This is 3rd Gen : Sharing the Prado chassis.
    Kobus

HDJ81 VX

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Maybe check your universal joints on your proshafts. I had a vibration on my Fortuner and in the end it was the universal joints that was worn.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cornel1610 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cornel1610 View Post
    Maybe check your universal joints on your proshafts. I had a vibration on my Fortuner and in the end it was the universal joints that was worn.
    I had the same, did numerous wheel balances to no avail. Later I had to replace the front transfercase seal which required the front propshaft to be removed. I found the universals were completely shot and replaced them. Installed everthing and the vibration was gone.
    Last edited by Swartjan; 2018/09/19 at 06:01 AM.
    Nissan Navara v9x
    Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost
    And.... A pile of rust some say is a 60 series with two ventilators to help it move along.

Heimrich Swart

Brilliant products are ruined by incompetent suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by branyster View Post
    Hello 4x4 Friends !

I bought the car from Lytham St Annes (up North) and drove it home to Leicester. Half way home the car developed a terrible shaking from the front, the steering wheel was going crazy.

I've had an MOT garage mechanic examine the car and he checked steering, ball joints, wheel bearings and suspension, all good. I then had the 2 x front wheels balanced. I asked a mechanic who I've known for years but is retiring soon to do an Oil change on the engine and gearbox, and he also checked the Oil in both Axles. Engine pulls strong.

But there is a Vibration when engaging the Auto box into the Driveposition driving down the road. Last Saturday after the wheel balance, I took the car out into the countryside with my family, while driving about 40 or 50 mph the vibration from the front happened again. It felt like something was holding back the car.

I've owned a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 3.0Automatic for 14 years and it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned and I've been driving since 1985. So I know something is seriously wrong withthe SURF.

Thanks Guys
    Hi, I also drive a 1996 Auto Surf, with the kz te non intercooled.

Off the top of my head I can't really think of what it could be,but I'm thinking about it !

In the meantime you have 2 options :

Join the surf forum (hiluxsurf.co.uk) , responses are slow , it used to be great but nowadays taken over by Facebook, you could email Rob (admin) directly

OR

Join the UK hilux surf Facebook group, you will get instant replies

Good luck!

Thank you ALL for your generous replies, you have given me some avenues to investigate this weekend. I truly hope 'We' get this sorted so I can feel confident in this Car's capabilities. At present I don't Trust this Car Languishing at home in Leicester. I am working away in Glasgow, Scotland and I have my Trusty Toyota Land Cruiser Prado for Company My wife wants the cars swapped around asap.

I will keep you Posted on the Progress / Resolve. Thanks Nick

Gen3 production notes the following:

"Additionally, Hilux Surf versions immediately moved to 16-inch wheels and gained a center differential, enabling the use of four-wheel drive on hard surfaces without complication for the first time."

So my question: are you in 4x2 mode or 4x4 mode when the vibration happens?

If in 4x4, then Swartjan is spot on and the front prop shaft is knackered.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I don't know where you buy your parts from but I have used both of the 2 below and they offer good advice for free:

https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/

https://www.milneroffroad.com/

Hi Jelo, 4x2 mode

Replacing those bushings should definitely sort most of the vibration out if not solve it.

Thanks for your Response. Oh God, I hope it does resolve all the problems I have experienced with the Car. I've not been able to use this car I recently purchased a few weeks ago and I want to feel I can Trust this Car as much as my Toyota Land Cruiser.

Geoff also said "he can't understand why people are so afraid to work on 4X4 cars, it's just a Car" and he also said "Some People just don't want to work on them"

Roughtrax have the steering rack bushes kit , check out their site and put the details of your vehicle in, it's the same kit used for the Prado 90. While you ( or your mechanic) are under there , do the D shapes antiroll bar bushes , I bet they are shot too.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Roughtrax have the steering rack bushes kit , check out their site and put the details of your vehicle in, it's the same kit used for the Prado 90. While you ( or your mechanic) are under there , do the D shapes antiroll bar bushes , I bet they are shot too.

Cheers
    Tashtego9, You are absolutely right ! The D Shapes on the anti-roll bar bushes are indeed Shot as well !

Quote Originally Posted by branyster View Post
    Hello 4x4 Friends !

Thanks Guys
    Why don't you join the UK Hilux Surf forum as there is a lot of good advice on it. I got a lot of good advice for both my Surfs with the KZN185 engine. I had a local independent who was a former Toyota technician look after the vehicle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surf 1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	503124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surf on Malvern Hills1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	503125  
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit CRD chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer01 View Post
    Why don't you join the UK Hilux Surf forum as there is a lot of good advice on it. I got a lot of good advice for both my Surfs with the KZN185 engine. I had a local independent who was a former Toyota technician look after the vehicle.
    Nice Looking Surfs !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast