Boat - where to?

Default Boat - where to?

Hi Guys I know there is a boat section, but doesn't look like much activity, so hope I can get some help here.I wanted to know - which dam around JHB can you go with a boat and family and spend the day skiing and fishing, or just fishing? I know people say the vaal, and bronkhorst dam , but where at these locations? Is there specific places to launch and where are they? Do they have easy launch sites, etc? Which dam is preffered ? I don't mind driving , but would like to know which are the better places?We new at boating inland , used to only take our boat to the north coast, want to use it in Gauteng as well Thanks guys !
    Range Rover BB SC V8
    Series III 88

VW Caravelle (wife)

KX450F #78
    KX 65 # 10

Default Re: Boat - where to?

Vaal River, you can launch at Riverside Sun, they have a launch charge I think and then you can sit on the riverfront in front of the hotel. Thereís also another public launch spot in Vanderbijlpark east of Riverside.
    I think you can launch from Riverside Beach Club on the Free State side as well, Day charges etc.

We boat from Boschenvaal near Million Airs Bend on the river, not sure of public launch spots in the near vicinity, suspect Google may be your friend

But based on the noise around poo being pumped into the river by the local municipalities along the Vaal river Iím not sure what the water is like, heading down this weekend for the first time in 2 months, so will have better info after the weekend.

You can also check the water quality of the river here... Water report for last week

http://reservoir.co.za/forums/vaalba..._14Sep2018.pdf

Harties, couple of launch spots around the dam, havenít been there for years, I hear theyíve spent huge amounts of cash cleaning the dam up and the water is clear, but donít take my word for it!!

A bad day on the water beats a good day in the office and weather looks cracking for the weekend!!
    Cheers

D

=======================================
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6 Pentastar

1967 MGB GT

We launch from Hartbeespoort boating club on the Kosmos side of the dam. Quite nice there, security is tight (biometric access control, gate is locked at all times, people who don’t adhere to rules are removed and not allowed back), tractors to launch and retrieve, green grass, braai facilities, swimming pool
    Last edited by vnitos; 2018/09/18 at 08:25 PM.

2007 Disco3 (SWAMBO)
    2004 Merc platkar (SWAMBO) - no more
    gti-eater (opel gte)

Bronkhorstspruit - I have no idea of water conditions

https://www.gauteng.net/attractions/kaia_manzi

https://www.bajadam.co.za

Vaal Dam you can launch from Manten Marina in Deneysville, which is also the Vaal Dam NSRI base.

http://www.mantenmarina.co.za/frame.htm
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/09/19 at 03:12 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

You can also try Roodeplaat Dam

Northern Reserve is the one you need to enter to launch your boat

https://www.roodeplaat-reserve.co.za...onal_info.html

Quote Originally Posted by vnitos View Post
    We launch from Hartbeespoort boating club on the Kosmos side of the dam. Quite nice there, security is tight (biometric access control, gate is locked at all times, people who donít adhere to rules are removed and not allowed back), tractors to launch and retrieve, green grass, braai facilities, swimming pool
    green water, green hyacinth.........and I wouldn't touch the dam water if I were you
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    green water, green hyacinth.........and I wouldn't touch the dam water if I were you
    Been skiing there for 18 years. Never been sick, never turned green.
    Gavin

We recently started using riverside Beach club, but had to become members. Membership included a boat locker so we don't have to tow every time we want to use the boat. Facilities are nice and clean with some game impala blesbuck and Eland on the premises.

Unfortunately no private launches.

The vaal river is awesome in being close enough and one of the longest pieces of inland water to ride on.

Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Quite a shock yesterday to see the dead weeds at the bridge ?
    And the welcoming squatter camp now at the Kosmos entrance !!
    Saw plenty of empty/perhaps abandoned houses too.
    Very sad.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Quite a shock yesterday to see the dead weeds at the bridge ?
    And the welcoming squatter camp now at the Kosmos entrance !!
    Saw plenty of empty/perhaps abandoned houses too.
    Very sad.
    That weed next to the bridge is a relatively small mass thatís left on the entire dam now. It moves all over the dam depending on the wind. Not too bad actually.

It it looked like the dam was being well used yesterday. I donít see any green spray, or green on the boats. I think itís alright.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

You need to know that in Gauteng you have to buy a place. It is nothing like Kzn. All the water areas have been sold to private owners.

Get used to paying a lot to get your boat in the water. Hartebeespoort is foul and you will battle to get your boat clean after a trip there.

Bronkhorspruit is nice in winter and relatively clean, but manic and unpleasant in summer and very little place, again unless you buy a house.

Public launch facilities at Vaal river and dam are foul and not the type a places you want to spend the day.

We were at riverside beach club for a few years and that was good and well run, but the annual fee escalation eventually reached the point where we ditched the boat and brought a rubber duck and tend to use it more in the sea than we were using the boat on the river.

Buffelspoort was also nice in winter but manic in summer. I think the Vaal dam is really your best bet.

Other nice places were loskop for a weekend, but that is starting to get green as well, and sterkfontein, but then you are halfway to mismar and Albert falls anyway.