Trying to nurse a seven year old deep cycle back to normal.

Default Trying to nurse a seven year old deep cycle back to normal.

I have a deep cycle battery that settles on 12.5 volts after 2 days off the smart charger. It stays there for more than a week. I have now connected an analog amp meter in line with the charger, trying to revive its original health, and found that when it charges it is only at 2 amps, and then the voltage will go up in excess of 13.4 V which will drop back the moment the cyclical charge regime stops charging. Is this normal? I will leave it on charge and see if the battery will eventually keep a full charge once it reaches 14.4 V.

I have a suspicion that I have neglected to leave the charger on for long enough to fully charge the battery, or rather, I hope this is the case.
    Last edited by Poen; 2018/09/17 at 10:13 AM. Reason: correction of text
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Default Re: Trying to nurse a seven year old deep cycle back to normal.

Most car alternators run at around 13.4v during a charge cycle. And 2A is great for a slow trickle charge.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

I had the same with an old deep cycle. I charged it with a cheap 6Amp charger and left it at 15.5V for 2 hours. Good as gold again.....this was 2 years ago and still keep the charge at 12.68V after a month of standing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Russell For This Useful Post:

I suggest you charge it with an intelligent charger which has the battery recon facility built into it.
    I recently also experienced my deep cycle battery on my camper van to be showing lower than normal voltage on my battery monitor.
    I left the battery on a recon charge for 24 hours and now the battery seems to be back to normal again.

I try to do this every few months even though the deep cycle battery is being permanently charged via my solar panel whilst the vehicle stands in the sun.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firstgeer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by firstgeer View Post
    I suggest you charge it with an intelligent charger which has the battery recon facility built into it.
    I recently also experienced my deep cycle battery on my camper van to be showing lower than normal voltage on my battery monitor.
    I left the battery on a recon charge for 24 hours and now the battery seems to be back to normal again.

I try to do this every few months even though the deep cycle battery is being permanently charged via my solar panel whilst the vehicle stands in the sun.
    He did say itís after 2 days off the smart charger.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Those Victron 15 Amp chargers has a recon function. I revived a couple of old batteries with mine
    1999 Hilux Raider 4x4 2700i, 'n groene met swart tyres
    19 Voertsheck Jeep CJ5 Built on 1984 Safari mechanics
    1972 Jeep CJ5 With Cevy 350
    2007 Touareg 4.2 V8 Petrol.
    Series IIA Landy being Rebuilt (for the past year)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    I had the same with an old deep cycle. I charged it with a cheap 6Amp charger and left it at 15.5V for 2 hours. Good as gold again.....this was 2 years ago and still keep the charge at 12.68V after a month of standing.
    I have three smart chargers, a Benton BX-1, which stays in the caravan, a Benton BX-2 in the garage and a green one from Midas which is a permanent fixture in the van. None of these could resurrect the deep cycle in question. It would pretend to be fully charged, and when you take the charger off it started discharging.

As a last resort I tried Jack Russel's solution. I took the fransformer/battery charger/power pack from a gate motor setup and connected that to the battery through an analog amp meter. 15.3 volts started of at 15 amps, and quickly reduced to 5 and then slowly to 2 amps. I left it for 18 hours at 15.3 volts. It is now two days since I took it off the transformer, and the battery is still sitting dead still at 12.71 volts. This I do not understand. It appears as if, in this particular situation a simple 15.3 volt set-up outperformed the fancy electronics. We shall see. I have not had reason to connect a fridge to it yet.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    I have three smart chargers, a Benton BX-1, which stays in the caravan, a Benton BX-2 in the garage and a green one from Midas which is a permanent fixture in the van. None of these could resurrect the deep cycle in question. It would pretend to be fully charged, and when you take the charger off it started discharging.

As a last resort I tried Jack Russel's solution. I took the fransformer/battery charger/power pack from a gate motor setup and connected that to the battery through an analog amp meter. 15.3 volts started of at 15 amps, and quickly reduced to 5 and then slowly to 2 amps. I left it for 18 hours at 15.3 volts. It is now two days since I took it off the transformer, and the battery is still sitting dead still at 12.71 volts. This I do not understand. It appears as if, in this particular situation a simple 15.3 volt set-up outperformed the fancy electronics. We shall see. I have not had reason to connect a fridge to it yet.
    You did exactly what thefancy electronics does. Just for longer. The fancy electronics stops sooner to prevent damage.

Your battery survived and presumably reacted positively to two days at that voltage. Most others would be toast.

The smart chargers take a similar approach. High voltage for a while then shut off.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Seven years for such a battery is generally a good innings, and you cannot expect it to still hold 100% capacity. However dependent on battery temperature, a battery will start gassing when charged above 14.2 volts, with possible loss of electrolyte. If your battery has cell caps it might be a good idea to check the electrolyte level

Quote Originally Posted by fredwb View Post
    Seven years for such a battery is generally a good innings, and you cannot expect it to still hold 100% capacity. However dependent on battery temperature, a battery will start gassing when charged above 14.2 volts, with possible loss of electrolyte. If your battery has cell caps it might be a good idea to check the electrolyte level
    It is completely sealed.

I tried the same trick with another deep cycle in a similar condition, but that one made a bubbling noise deep inside its belly and nothing much happenned, so it is destined to be dumped at the local battery dealer.

I will keep you posted on the performance of the "old chap". I must still fit my second battery's engine bracket, wiring and DC-DC set-up to my "new" car.

Poen did you select the "Boost" mode with the Benton BX-2? This applies 16v to the battery for a few hours before reverting back to a normal charge. Exactly the same as you manually performed

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
    Poen did you select the "Boost" mode with the Benton BX-2? This applies 16v to the battery for a few hours before reverting back to a normal charge. Exactly the same as you manually performed

-F_D

No, I did not because mine would not move from the setting it switches on in. However, after I read your question above I thought I should try harder to change the setting, and believe it or not, for the first time I held the mode button in for more than two seconds and for the first time in its life it moved to the next setting. Thanks - I thought mine was disfunctional, but now I have a fully functional Benton BX-2. Did I miss something in the owners manual?

Poen, at our age, we do not read instruction manuals with their minuscule fonts. We learn by experience

Some chargers change mode steps fairly quickly but I have found it can also take a few seconds to do so - guess it might have something to do with the battery state of charge and the BX-2 is still computing this, thus causing a few seconds delay.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

The "old Chap" has now been sitting on a shelf in my garage for twenty days, and has now self-dicharged to 12.9 volts. I have a "new" second hand battery ex a back-up system on order, (same place the "old chap" came from) but it looks as if I will still get a few more trips out of it. This is the under-bonnet 2nd battery that takes the heat punishment.

I have a lead crystal and a Varta in the caravan. Make no mistake, that Varta has taken a beating from the inverter, and still performs well after more than 5 years.
    Last edited by Poen; 2018/10/08 at 03:40 PM. Reason: correction of text

I think exposure to heat has a lot to do with battery life, and not bashing them about. I had a 3 Series BMW for 14 years on the same battery with it being installed in the boot-away from engine heat. That was a 2000 model car, so either the Germans have always made the best batteries or its the boot location, or both?

I considered trying this with a deep cycle some one chucked out. Then I saw the sides were bulged out as if it was overcharged / over heated and I opted not to. Am I correct in assuming that once the sides show signs of bulging it is only good for scrap?
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

@Sneaky Pete

Bulged=really shot

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    The "old Chap" has now been sitting on a shelf in my garage for twenty days, and has now self-dicharged to 12.9 volts. I have a "new" second hand battery ex a back-up system on order, (same place the "old chap" came from) but it looks as if I will still get a few more trips out of it. This is the under-bonnet 2nd battery that takes the heat punishment.

I have a lead crystal and a Varta in the caravan. Make no mistake, that Varta has taken a beating from the inverter, and still performs well after more than 5 years.
    I have just measured the "old chap's" voltage - 44 days since it came off the charger, sitting on a shelf in the garage - 12,67 volts. It looks as if it can go back into the engine bay, enduring some more heat.

I agree that heat is bad for a battery, but then I am contradicting myself, because 65 years ago when our Eveready torch batteries went flat as in stone dead, we used to get a little more life out of them by putting them in a hot oven for a few minutes.

I am one of those who killed a lead crystal battery in under three years in the engine bay. Fortunately they honoured their warranty and replaced it without batting an eyelid. The new lead crystal lives under the caravan bed. What ever heat it my endure there is in any event during the coolest time of day.

By the way, the engine bay second battery is connected to a 12 volt - 14 volt DC to DC regulator/charger. That may be a contributing factor to its long life.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post: