What can I tow behing a GD6 Hilux

Default What can I tow behing a GD6 Hilux

I have mounted a tow bar behind my caravan (Sprite tourer SW), It has a GVM of 1450kg and GA1800kg. Then a bike trailer, GVM 560kg and GA750kg
    i.e 2018 kg or 2550kg mass. Can I tow this behind my Hilux GD6 ? (2018 d/c 2.8 auto 4x4)
    What is the permissible length? (Hilux is 6m caravan is total length 5.7m and bike trailer is 3.7m, total length is 15.4m)
    I have tested it on the back roads and no worries, I was worried about snaking, the train runs straight!
    I have a V8 pick up cruiser, my thinking is the hilux is more comfortable and the auto box better for towing.
    Your wisdom please?

Default Re: What can I tow behing a GD6 Hilux

As far as I know, no caravan is designed for a tow hitch to be fitted. This would make you train illegal. Get hold of your insurance and see if you will be covered if something goes wrong, even if it's not of your making.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Also, the GVM of the trailers may not exceed the TARE of the tow vehicle
    Geoff Craig
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    (M)
    '14 VW Polo 1.2 TSI HL (SWAMBO's)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort
    4x4 Action Group membership

Quote Originally Posted by novice 2015 View Post
    I have mounted a tow bar behind my caravan (Sprite tourer SW), It has a GVM of 1450kg and GA1800kg. Then a bike trailer, GVM 560kg and GA750kg
    i.e 2018 kg or 2550kg mass. Can I tow this behind my Hilux GD6 ? (2018 d/c 2.8 auto 4x4)
    What is the permissible length? (Hilux is 6m caravan is total length 5.7m and bike trailer is 3.7m, total length is 15.4m)
    I have tested it on the back roads and no worries, I was worried about snaking, the train runs straight!
    I have a V8 pick up cruiser, my thinking is the hilux is more comfortable and the auto box better for towing.
    Your wisdom please?
    Weight is not a problem as the Tare of the Hilux is higher than the caravan and trailer's GVM combined.

The trailer will need its own brakes to be legal since you will be towing more than 750kg. If you tow more than 750kg every trailer in the train needs its own brakes according to law. Since the trailer weighs less than 750kg I doubt that it has brakes, does it?

Lenth of the trailers combined is less than 11.3 m so no problem there and obviously you need the E type license.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB