All empires fall at the end

Default All empires fall at the end

Apple and Google will not fall tomorrow but there is an increasing war on a go. China and Russia limit them, EU is on tax and privacy war but there is more serious issue brewing. Other big corporations are fed up by these two having 30% sales commission on all stuff sold via iTunes or Google Play. This 30% is not only on programs but any revenue resulting from such program/app.

Apple users will be increasingly in trouble. Either have jailbreak or be without. Netflix started last month in 33 countries trial where you cannot pay for their service via iTunes. I do not know if we are on the country list. Spotify has done the same.

Netflix will not accept new customers via Google Play. On Android you can easily load apps outside Google Play. On the games Fotnite/Epic will most probably also exclude Google Play. More to come.

So if you are looking for something and you cannot get it out of the two shops look elsewhere in case of Android. Apple either jailbreak or change the phone.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Default Re: All empires fall at the end

I think Apple will be a very hard nut to crack. The first trillion dollar company, not bad for a company that sells a handful of gadgets. Here’s a sample of where their money came from.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Betta View Post
    I think Apple will be a very hard nut to crack. The first trillion dollar company, not bad for a company that sells a handful of gadgets. Here’s a sample of where their money came from.
    Some interesting information for an Sunday, adjusted for inflation The Dutch East Company might have been bigger.

http://digg.com/2017/dutch-east-india-size
    SPOON!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grubscrew For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Apple users will be increasingly in trouble. Either have jailbreak or be without. Netflix started last month in 33 countries trial where you cannot pay for their service via iTunes. I do not know if we are on the country list. Spotify has done the same.
    There are loads of paid for services where you don't pay via itunes or the play store (and have been for years), so I don't understand this point.
    Last edited by SimonB; 2018/09/17 at 08:36 AM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    There are loads of paid for services where you don't pay via itunes or the play store (and have been for years), so I don't understand this point.
    I am not an Apple user so I cannot give exact details but I found article in English (originally I read the Finnish version) that gives more info:
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/21/netflix-itunes-2/

Netflix is also changing their other payment systems. All SA user will pay in the future in Rand (from 27/. I do not know if this will drop the monthly cost for some as there are lower banking fees where conversion from USD to R was happening. R139.00 for the medium package.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Weird that this is "news" though and that Netflix is only testing it now. Direct billing has been a feature of many services for years
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    I am not an Apple user so I cannot give exact details but I found article in English (originally I read the Finnish version) that gives more info:
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/21/netflix-itunes-2/

Netflix is also changing their other payment systems. All SA user will pay in the future in Rand (from 27/. I do not know if this will drop the monthly cost for some as there are lower banking fees where conversion from USD to R was happening. R139.00 for the medium package.
    At beginning of the months rand dollar exchange rate it will be dropping the price a little
    Was R146.58 on my account
    So R7.58 less
    And if the Rand / Dollar value gets worse then a good thing on that

But obviously the reverse applies if the rand value increases allot then you will not get the advantage out
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

It will be a large Revenue chunk gone for Apple/Google for sure! Amazon has suspended sales via the Kindle app on IOS years ago. All you need to do is buy via the website and read the book via the IOS app. Not an issue at all. I have my Netflix subscription via Apple as it is just convenient. But to register for the service via the Netflix website is also no issue at all. Personally I don't see how Apple/Google can justify taking 30% of sales...
    2011 VW Amarok BiTDI DC 4Motion
    (Ex) 2007 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DID DC 4x4
    (Ex) 2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.8 TDI DC 4x4