Routes and trails

Default Routes and trails

Hi everyone,

New to the group and forums. Thanks for having me here!

I was wondering if there is some suggestions for nice and challenging but not too difficult 4x4 trails around Cape Town area. I'm from the deep South so even getting to the Northern side is a bit of a trek but I'm tired of the bit of beach driving at Strandfontein. Also not the safest spot to be solo at. Will appreciate any info.
    Cheers!

Default Re: Routes and trails

Hi Sparx, i'm also from Cape Town and looking for new 4x4 adventure trails in the area.

There is Atlantis Dunes but like you say youre over beach driving so maybe Helderberg 4x4 trail or I am going to have a look in the Grabouw area there must be some good tracks around that area being nice and mountainous.

Does anyone know if you can explore the logging routes in the area or will you get into trouble for it? And do they offer up any decent obstacles or are they super easy?

Hi guys. I am also new to 4x4. I've done Helderberg end last year and then Honingklip (between Botrivier and Hermanus) this year so far. A trial that I know of and want to do some time is Welgelegen on the Bottelary road between Bellville and Stellenbosch. Helderberg was quite a nice route. Very scenic.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cornel1610 For This Useful Post:

There is a trail you can do in Grabouw. I think there is a thread about it somewhere on the forum. Don't know how easy or difficult it is though.

Edit: here is is link to a thread about Grabouw
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...d.php?t=299187
    Last edited by cornel1610; 2018/09/17 at 12:06 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cornel1610 For This Useful Post:

I doubt it if MTO will allow you on to the logging roads due to all types of legal implications for them.

When I did the 4x4 guiding course many years ago, we did the driving training on MTO property in Grabouw and the difficulty rating changes as you go higher up the mountain, and obviously also if it is wet or dry.

I drove most of the routes in the Western Cape when I still lived there, but have no idea which ones still exist as I moved to Namibia a couple of years ago.

Do the magazines, such as SA4x4, Getaway and DriveOut, not have lists of them any more ?

Johan 😎
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2016 Isuzu KB300 Ext Cab 4x4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J Snyman For This Useful Post:

Arranged roughly in increasing distance from you. At least I think so......... I'm from the dark side of the Boerewors Curtain so I might have gotten some wrong.

GearUp at Imhoff farm: http://imhofffarm.co.za/activities/gearup-4x4/. I have not been personally, but it seems like a nice place. Not so much a trail as an obstacle course.

Helderberg: http://helderbergplaas.co.za/helderberg-4x4-route/. Have not been, but should be a good option for you. Doesn't sound too hectic at all, with some AWD softroaders and even 4x2 bakkies having completed it. Reportedly has some awesome views.

Grabouw trail: https://www.countryclub.co.za/sporting-activities/. Still on my todo list, especially the moonlight drive.

Welgelegen: https://www.facebook.com/Welgelegen4x4. I've been here more than a dozen times. A great trail all year around, although it does get more tricky soon after rain. Gravel and rock, no sand, but plenty of obstacles with easy bypass options for all the trickier ones.

Dirt 'n Dust (aka Rough and Tough, although nobody really seems to use the new name): No website or contact details as such, but here's the entrance off the R312: https://goo.gl/maps/VXQUbndStA92. It's R150, not a trail, more of a playground. There are hills and holes of all sizes, and you can pretty much drive wherever and see what kind of fun challenges you can invent for yourself.

Atlantis Dunes: plenty of threads here. Permits obtainable in Atlantis at the Municipality opposite SAPS. Mon - Fri and the first and last Saturday of the month. There is a new permit office on site but they are not yet operational. Lots of fun to be had, but don't go alone, and try to go with at least a few people who have been already.

Ou Trekpad: https://www.outrekpad.com/. Mostly sandy tracks with a few water crossings. Nice braai lapa for a quick boerie braai when you're done. Biggest issue is that you might get lost as the route isn't particularly well marked. Try to get someone who has been there recently, the more recent the better.

Koeberg Nature Reserve: This is a special one because it isn't actually possible to drive here generally. Eskom do grant NSRI station 18 (Melkbosstrand) usage of the reserve once a year for their fundraiser. Unfortunately you just missed it, but follow them on Facebook and perhaps you want to join next year: https://www.facebook.com/NSRI18. This is a scenic drive through the reserve, eventually bringing you to the dune fields, where there are a number of obstacles.

Honingklip: https://www.facebook.com/Honingklip-...6324709414350/. Fan-flippin'-tastic! I love this place, it's just a pity its so far for me. Gravel, rock, sand, obstacle course, water crossing, sand pit, steep climbs, amazing views, this place has it all.

Kroonland: https://www.hellovilliersdorp.co.za/...and-4x4-route/. Still on my todo list, but from what I can tell it's a nice trail.

Tierkloof: https://www.sa-venues.com/things-to-...oof-4x4-trail/. Great trail. Mostly rocky with a few trickier bits. A nice sandy climb toward the end which can catch you out if you aren't paying attention.

That's all I can think of that's reasonably close. Remember to keep an eye on the Western Cape section to see who's going where, or feel free to post there if you are looking for someone to join you sometime.

Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by HeavyG; 2018/09/17 at 12:43 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeavyG For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys this is very helpful information, that's a pity about the logging routes i can imagine them being some good 4x4 options for the area and quite beautiful towards the pointy ends of the mountain ranges.

I want to do each of these trails one by one!
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto
    2017 Isuzu kB 250 (sold)
    2006 Isuzu KB300 (sold)
    2002 Isuzu Kb 260 petrol (sold)

Just let me know when. I would like to join you if possible. As posted above I have done two of them, but also would like to do the others.

Quote Originally Posted by cornel1610 View Post
    Just let me know when. I would like to join you if possible. As posted above I have done two of them, but also would like to do the others.
    Cool will PM you when i organize.
    2017 Isuzu kB 250 (sold)
    2006 Isuzu KB300 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Cool will PM you when i organize.
    Please don't. Post in the Western Cape section instead, as I mentioned above. That's the "community" part in "4x4community".

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
    Please don't. Post in the Western Cape section instead, as I mentioned above. That's the "community" part in "4x4community".
    Ok will do! Would be nice to organize a few vehicles in the mix.
    2017 Isuzu kB 250 (sold)
    2006 Isuzu KB300 (sold)

HeavyG makes for an excellent leader at Welgelegen.

Take at least 1 person along that has been there.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Ok will do! Would be nice to organize a few vehicles in the mix.
    hugely interested.
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_Nel View Post
    hugely interested.
    Cool will keep you posted! I had a quick look at them, Honingklip, outrekpad, Grabouw country club trail and Welgelegen are top of my list, they look really nice!
    2017 Isuzu kB 250 (sold)
    2006 Isuzu KB300 (sold)

What about next weekend..... before the fuel price increase hits us hard....

Do what I did, and emmigrate to Namibia ....

A much wider selection of scenic, and challenging, places to drive without being trampled by other people ��

And our fuel is cheaper !!!

Johan ��
    Last edited by J Snyman; 2018/09/17 at 03:43 PM.
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2016 Isuzu KB300 Ext Cab 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by cornel1610 View Post
    What about next weekend..... before the fuel price increase hits us hard....
    The weekend of the 29th of September? Yes I am keen can confirm a bit closer to the time, which trail would you like to do?
    2017 Isuzu kB 250 (sold)
    2006 Isuzu KB300 (sold)