Camping with kids, what age? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Camping with kids, what age?

My only problem was malaria area's when they were real small, here I was real careful. Spent tons of money on prophylactic syrups. Bug sprays, citronella candles etc.

Here in Namibia the only thing I am really worried about is leopards taking a small one. I usally prefer camping in river beds and canyons. Cold and malaria can be dealt with.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8 SW
    1994 Defender TDi 200
    -----------------------------
    Drive it like you stole it!!
    -----------------------------

My laaitie was born on 6th December. On the 16th we slept over at the border in a small 4-man tent on our way to the farm in Nam.
    So, not really camping, but at least in a tent at ten days old.
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D
    2017 Jurgens XT140 with Echo Mkii Tent

I took my son to the landy fest when he was 2 weeks old. At 3 months to a bike jol and a month later to a bike rally. All in the car off course. Just take enough flasks with. Lesson learned
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 1 V8i
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Ours was 1 yr old when we did the first tour with him. A week in Richtersveld. We have a big tent - 3x3m So he slept in the camping cot. We had him sleep in it a few nights before we left so he was accustomed to it. He is 7 now and we can easily drive up to 800km in a day without to much complaints.

Our daughter were 6 months on her first camping trip, must add is was with a caravan.

As a kid I was apparently 1 year old and my kid brother not even a year.

It all depends on how the parents share the chores and if both are happy with camping.

Our eldest grandson turned 1 in KNP, his little brother was 6 months old for his first camping trip.

Keep traveling down to 3-4 hours a day and try and create a pleasant environment in the vehicle.
    At camp one of those cheap blowup kids pools work brilliant until they start walking, even then with toys inside they do not wander away if kept busy.

Getting older use the wind breaker shade cloth around the camp to "enclose them"
    2-3 of the 6m length ones works like a dream.
    Keep routine same as at home.
    Some picks from May 2012 with my eldest grandson.
    Second one bath time on the back of the bakkie in the container that all his toys travel with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5959 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	502587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6155 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	502588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6157 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	256.5 KB 
ID:	502589  
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Danie S For This Useful Post:

My daughter was 2 weeks old when we took her camping the first time.

Our first born was two weeks old for her first camp.

Our second was possibly the same age, perhaps a bit older, as she was born at the beginning of winter.

Our third daughter was about three months.

They all slept in camp cots before they could climb out of them, and then air beds, which they loved.

They slept peacefully through a hurricane at Black Rock Sands on the Welsh coast (the youngest in her camp cot), which demolished most other camps in the site, and tore the roof of a Butlins 6 km away.

Most of our family camping (including the above) was done in a huge frame tent, which became the hub for a lot of social occasions.

Our youngest is now knocking on the door of thirty years old, and together with our other two daughters and the husbands, hiking, exploring, adventuring and camping remains a great delight for them. We don't have any grandkids yet, but the hiking carry frame has already been purchased for such an eventuality, and the stage set for their early introduction into a natural and calmer environment.
    Ex - 109 SIIA R6 pickup, rebuilt from a kraal find, still thrashing around in the Zim Lowveld.
    1972 88 Safari SW petrol - Mellie
    1995 Disco I 300TDi - Daisy
    Ex - 2003 FL Disco II Td5 auto - d'Arcy. Now living by the sea in KZN.
    2003 Defender 110 Td5 - Bruce

The Lord did not create any stupid people on His earth.
    But there are many who are intellectually dormant, or wilfully ignorant.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveHarris For This Useful Post:

My daughter is 16 months old and this weekend will be her first and our first camp together. Myself and the wife camped before but never together so we are well prepared if I look at all the baggage I am taking along this weekend
    Current: 2018 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLT AT DC 4x2 with Rhino Ranger offroad trailer + Tentco Junior TTT
    Sold: 2015 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL MT DC 4x2, Sold: 2013 Ford Focus 1.6 5DR Trend, Sold: 2010 Ford Ranger 2.5TD Supercab, Sold: 2007 Ford Bantam 1.6 XLE, Sold: 2006 Ford Focus 1.6 5DR Sport

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluefin06 For This Useful Post:

My Son was about 6 months old and we were camping in winter. They are alot more resilient than we think.

Just ensure you have the necessary items on hand (ie: medicine etc)

Small camping cot

2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Mine was 4 months old. We have a caravan though. She is 10 now and we camp every year.

People at Swadini where we go every year has twins (boys). One night the wind came up and blew the tent away. They were one or two at the time.

They still go there every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    Small camping cot

Thats cute, but it would never had worked for my boy, he does not stay in one place when sleeping, and would probably roll right out of that.
    Current: '06 Prado VX - Nickname Bruce
    Previous:
    '05 Ford Ranger Supercab 2.5TD XLT - Big Joe
    '06 Fiesta ST - Thor
    '97 Mazda 1300 rustler - Joe
    '81 1100 2door VW golfie - Tracey

First kid was about 3 months when we stayed in a tented camp. After that we just continued camping. Second one was probably 8 months or so. Theres no age limit,,, but your wife needs to be comfortable and camping routine will change from the normal.
    We make sure there supper for the kids around 6. They get very hungry from all the running around.

The sleep on smaller matrasses next to ours. So we have the two normal size ones in the middle and then a small one on either side. When they get cold at night we just drag them in under the down duvet. Cold is your enemy so just make sure they are warm! Warm water bottles works wonders. They each go to bed with one and I fill them up again when we go to bed.

When camping in winter be prepared to cancel a weekend or pack up and go home when they get sick. Dont go camping with a sick kid.
    But theres also ways to manage it if itís not too bad. We took the nebuliser with this past weekend to the cederberg and the youngest is actually doing better after the weekend. Had some chilly nights with frost in the mornings.

Regarding 4x4ing. A proper kids seat keep them safe and also keeps them form falling side to side so have never had an issue with that.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to WillemT For This Useful Post:

Like a lot of members have stated, we also took our kids out camping within the first 3 months. They just care about eating (be sure to take your wife along), sleeping and pooping at that stage.

We then took a break from camping from when they started to crawl and putt ANY foreign object in their mouths up to when they started walking.

The type of camping also changes though, we were primarily remote campers, but now we seek out places where there is a pool/water close by or at the main lodge.

There is only one way to scratch that itching camping bum...and that is in front of the campfire on your camping chair.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to NoPressure For This Useful Post:

My son was almost 2 when we went camping the first time, and my daughter was 6 weeks.
    2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4 MT

Photography : https://500px.com/c0rn3llman5

My girlfriend asked me to whisper 4 special words into her ear... so I said : "Ons gaan NOU braai!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2