effect of steel front bumper - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: effect of steel front bumper

I've got a stubby on my JKUR that weighs about the same as the OE plastic jeep bumper. Made of steel but many clever angles. Strong as hell, but will crumple in an accident

Was made by Vusa engineering in Kya Sands in Randburg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ubbo; Yesterday at 12:43 PM.

Ubbo
    2014 Jeep JKU Rubicon
    2017 Conqueror Companion

Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    I've got a stubby on my JKUR that weighs about the same as the OE plastic jeep bumper. Made of steel but many clever angles. Strong as hell, but will crumple in an accident

Was made by Vusa engineering in Kya Sands in Randburg
    uuuuuuuurgh, thats like jeep ####....... .

that jeep is sooooo shiny it makes impossible to look at the photo.

just kidding.

In the past we did not worry about weight, airbags or crumple zones.

In the eighty's when I started 4x4ing, the bumper had to be as strong as possible. The idea was if you hit a "animal", you could keep driving.

To the front end we added bullbars, winches, high liftjacks, massive hi lift jack points, big shackles, towballs (the pin type), spots, fog lights, spade, picks, and spares, oh the spares - don't forget the starter, etc. etc.

If it fitted it fitted- the more the merrier AND the better it looked.

Then we added 2 or 3 batteries and cables, steel galvanised roof racks, roof top tents, fuel, water, 2 or 3 spare wheels, box of tools and sockets, freezers, recovery gear, etc. and still added massive tow bars.

Before we even started loading comforts like tables, chairs, cooldrinks, beers, food, cloths, etc, ect. The vehicles where over loaded before we added the stuff we needed and then 2, 4 or more people climbed into the already over loaded vehicle.

No wonder we needed all that recovery gear because our heavy vehicles got stuck or broke down.

I cringe to think what weight we carried.

I never got stuck or broke down, I did get flats. I towed a trailer everywhere, so the vehicle was fairly light. I did have a radiator hose pop, I fixed it with a rubber mat and cable ties, I carried a replacement for years and years, trip after trip - never changed it, the water was always too hot when we stopped and after a few beers, it was always put off till tomorrow. Tomorrow never came!! The 4x4 was stolen with the bust hose in place and replacement hose still cable tied under the seats. Hope they never found the parts and the fixed hose popped and blew the motor.

Few things-

• Thank goodness we don't live in Australia with all the new regulations.

• Thank goodness more things today are light weight, even plastic stuff is great.

Today you have to think of weight, airbags or crumple zones.

Go light, does the job and strong as possible; its important, very important- you will not get stuck so often and you can carry more biltong and beer.

Making the trip more enjoyable.
    Last edited by K-9; Today at 01:43 PM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Greatfamily accommodation.. see facebook and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei /Wild Wind Ranch
    * 1978 Land-Cruiser HJ40 DIESEL P/U "SHREK", BFG 31x10.5 muds.
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton hand winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds.

* 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain. I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C, BFG all terrain.
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain.
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain.
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain. *GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE [liquid cooled} 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. AMassey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4.
    ^^1999 TOYOTA 4x4 HILUX 2700i D/C, SOLD TO MY SON.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2