Landcruiser V8 DC as a daily drive? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Landcruiser V8 DC as a daily drive?

just out of interest sake, what other double cab bakkie is out there that can compare to a cruiser. sure there lots with everything and the sink in them,that are a whole lot more comfortable to drive, but i didn't want a fancy computerised 4x4, i wanted a basic no frills solid diffs, not independent suspension thing. that is fun to drive, and the cruiser ticks all those boxes. are they heavy on fuel, yes but not that much more than any other thing with the same sort of power. should i park it and buy a run around. no, for me and the milage i do it does not make sense. what i pay for a second runaround, insurance, and all the rest, i may as well drive my cruiser. besides all that, why would it bug some of you what i drive, pay on diesel and servicing. if you not happy with our choice good on you, but if we chose to use them as a daily driver, please don't let it keep you up at night. at my age, i don't have a ego, lots of other things to stress about, then to worry about some guy i don't even know thinks about me parked at the robot.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

only problem i have with using the 76 as a daily drive is the height, fitted with roofrack and suspension, it sits at 2.2m cant really park anywhere undercover,

PS I am actually quite shy using it as a daily drive at the moment ; )
    Last edited by ismail; 2018/09/13 at 08:56 AM.
    Hilux 2700i s/c 4X4 with a few extras ...............
    Cape Town

yes, that is a problem, but not worth giving it up as my daily driver.i just look for somewhere else to park.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...4x4_newsletter

some interesting mods on the aussie ones,
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

Seems like the parking height standard in ZA is 1.99m. So beware.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

I use mine as a daily driver but then it is also used for site visits and my camping vehicle. Rear-view visibility is non existent and I am banned from most underground parking areas. but I have little to fear from potholes etc. I enjoy driving it and am aware of its limitations, every vehicle will have them in various degrees. if you choose it be happy with it

I used to drive my 76v8 daily. The Land Cruiser puts a smile on your face, is intimidating in traffic (taxis make way for you), sounds awesome, puts you high to look over traffic ahead and potholes are no problem!

But forget about any basement parkings, drive thru's marked <2.1m (bigger tyres, suspension and roof rack), shopping mall under roof parkings (in some places). Although the V8 Cruiser sounds "fast", it's definitely not a "robot racer". The drive is quite bumpy/hard with the solid axles. Internal storage and cupholders are lacking. The noise inside makes you try to avoid phone calls on the bluetooth radio when driving at highway speeds.

I do not plan on selling my Cruiser any time soon and it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, but I got myself a VW Golf last year as a daily commute and am still happy with my decision to do this...
    Riaan Maree

2015 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.5TD V8
    2017 VW Golf 7.5 R
    2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport SD4 HSE - SWAMBO
    2016 Bush Lapa Miskruier (Kampwa)

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    nope. I do not think the brakes, suspension setup is good enough. Its a touring/ farm workhorse. Hilux would be much better or buy a light runner with a kroozer
    You do not have a flippin clue!!

V8 power oh what a feeling. As a daily drive fantastic.

My 76 V8 is a holiday vehicle, My 79 is my daily vehicle. (unfortunately a straight diesel).

I use the 79 daily, but I park on the grassed pavement daily. (The cops fine others if they park next to me, but respect the cruiser.)

So it depends on the parking space available.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Greatfamily accommodation.. see facebook and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei /Wild Wind Ranch
    * 1978 Land-Cruiser HJ40 DIESEL P/U "SHREK", BFG 31x10.5 muds.
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton hand winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds.

* 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain. I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C, BFG all terrain.
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain.
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain.
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain. *GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE [liquid cooled} 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. AMassey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4.
    ^^1999 TOYOTA 4x4 HILUX 2700i D/C, SOLD TO MY SON.

I drive a V6 DC daily, do about 3,000 km per month, mostly on highways.

Costs a bomb in fuel but I love it.

Come on! Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think.
    It is time these trolling no-good keyboard warrior-types get taught a lesson!!!

Quote Originally Posted by villierj View Post
    You do not have a flippin clue!!
    Disclaimer: Do I need to explain it?

Quote Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
    I have always driven an Isuzu DC as my company vehicle and have been happy over the years. I do a fair bit of farm visits and off road excursions as part of my daily work but 90% of my driving is around town. The main reason for my thinking is that I do a bit of deep sea fishing and often really battle beach launching/retrieving when the sand is soft!
    Would the cruiser DC V8 be a terrible daily commute and even the bi- annual drive to Durbs or Cape Town? I do realize fuel consumption will increase but more concerned with the practicality of town driving/comfort etc
    I drive my LC everyday. Now my 3rd LC WITH 11000 on the clock. What a pleasure. Had no repair costs for the last 20 years. If you calculate that into your running expenses they are cheap to run. Not to mention reliability if you are in AFRICA.

I do not drive a V8 DC but a similar car as a daily. I agree that our real 4x4 would be better in the bush but I am glad I drive mine everyday. Puts a smile on my face and scare away the bad drivers.
    I cannot park underground!!

Cannot help having a chuckle at your Series 3 description. I drove a Series 2A from Johannesburg to Agulhas (+/-1,400km) in winter. I describe the journey as akin to Lawrence of Arabia having had an easier time crossing the Sahara. I was dressed like the old Esso man, hoodie, ear muffs, gloves and STILL got cold and wet. Blokes who have only driven modern cars should put this on a bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I think if you like the vehicle and can accept the compromises then why not?
    I used a series 3 as my daily driver for many years. It was awesome and fun, but slow, windy and wet inside and also had the turning circle of a small freighter and the suspension compliance of an old cart. Still I would do dbn to witbank and back in a day, but i was younger then.

I am currently driving an amarock as my daily and frankly it is so huge that it is difficult to park (length and width) and but it does not leak wind or water and is generally comfortable, but probably no more or less practical than a cruiser.

If the communists are saying that it is conspicuous consumption then we should probably all drive a Prius but thatís why we arenít communists for now.

I love my 76V8. It is our family recreational wagon and tows an offroad caravan or launches a boat. Daily drive? I would not commute with her that is for sure. Huge turning circle and choppy ride when not loaded a bit. For the fuel record-we just did a 3,500km round trip, mainly highway driving and good gravel-I tow an Imagine Comfortvan, roof rack on Cruiser, speed between 100 and 110km/h. Average fuel consumption was 12.1l/100km. In the game parks and 4X4 trails, this improved to 10.2l/100km. Dead stock standard everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2