GPS live Tracker - No SIM needed

Default GPS live Tracker - No SIM needed

Hi guys.
    Is anyone using a device like this that does not require a SIM for you to see where the vehicle is?
    https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128

We are looking at options for being traceable when we go out into the bundus and the pawpaw hits the fan. Also just for our family's peace of mind and to be able to track us in realtime as we travel.
    Can also be used in the kids car when we don't use it.

The nice thing is that it seems to not need a SIM for this to work but rather use Communication Satellites to send the coords back onto the web.

Default Re: GPS live Tracker - No SIM needed

We have used the SPOT tracker on recent trips - It does need to be set up properly as you cannot do upgrades (it needs them on arrival) unless you have a laptop & wifi - probably the cheapest, easiest option available.
    There is also a version that send pre-defined messages - this works pretty well, we used it when a mate was travelling alone through Namibia, Zambia, Malawi, Moz & Zim on a bike.
    Garmin also has a system that sends and receives messages as well as tracking, but you have to buy the unit - around R8k iirc - but then the info sending/receiving is free, and it has off-line GPS mapping as well.

2013 GV called James....
    Wizerd 40mm Lift
    Wizerd Underwear
    FR Slimline Roof-Rack
    FLI Rims & Grandtrek AT3's

Try life 360 and see if it is suitable, we use it but so far only in SA
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Thanx ClimbingTurle.
    I cannot see any Garmin products like that except the dog tracker.
    Stranger, we are specifically looking for something that does not need a SIM. You don't always get signal and it is just a schlep to stress about that.

I also use the SPOT. Works well but I do not like the idea that I cannot do two way text messaging. If I enter a remote place I normally whatsapp a friend to keep an eye on my progress and if I am not out of there in agreed time he will start working on a recovery plan. But it would be so much better to just let someone know exactly why your are stuck and get confirmation.

I am also not sure what will happen or rather who will pitch when I press the SOS button. And what the associated costs involved would be but I guess when you are in real trouble that is a minor. I like the custom button where I can alert friends of my problem.

Friend of mine swears by Yellow Brick, the Standard Model allows you to link your phone via BT and send and receive text messages.
    https://www.ybtracking.com/products-yb3

Also look at running cost as this is by far the biggest expense. Spot has annual license which is over R3000 where YB allows you to buy credits and use them in monthly blocks. This way you only pay for the month or two in which you really need it.

Then I see Garmin is launching the InReach Mini which also allows two way messaging. Not sure of the total running cost yet.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660