Is the GY Adventure worth the extra R600 more?

Default Is the GY Adventure worth the extra R600 more?

After my attempted hijacking ordeal (https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...need-replacing) I replaced my Amarok with another second hand one. Tyre's need replacing. Unfortunately the new Amarok has 18" wheels on, and I am not in the position to replace with 17's at the moment. I had the old GY Wrangler AT/SA's on the old Rok. Were very happy with them and intended to fit the new GY Adventure's.

Replacing 255/60R18's with 265/60R18's so I am replacing spare as well. For some reason the GY Adventure's are insanely expensive in this size. Best price I get is R2,600 per tyre. That's R13,000 for the lot. Another concern is availability. Not a lot of stock in this size. One dealer told me they stopped making them in 265/60R18, but that might just be because he was trying to sell me something else as he didn't have stock.

Best price on the General Grabber AT3's: R2,000 per tyre. Actually best price is R1,850, but small new shop so I rather stick with the R2,000 option where I know I will have backup if needed.

Question is: As much as I prefer the GY Adventure's, are they really worth the extra R3,000? I would really appreciate some expert advice.

Driving 70% tar, 25% gravel and sand dunes, 5% rocky terrain. Most of my off-road driving is sand dunes when I visit my parents in in Mossel Bay.

Default Re: Is the GY Adventure worth the extra R600 more?

I also like the new Pirelli AT Plus, but similar price as the tried and tested GY Adventure and basically no reviews on the tyre yet

Quote Originally Posted by Netler View Post
    After my attempted hijacking ordeal (https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...need-replacing) I replaced my Amarok with another second hand one. Tyre's need replacing. Unfortunately the new Amarok has 18" wheels on, and I am not in the position to replace with 17's at the moment. I had the old GY Wrangler AT/SA's on the old Rok. Were very happy with them and intended to fit the new GY Adventure's.

Replacing 255/60R18's with 265/60R18's so I am replacing spare as well. For some reason the GY Adventure's are insanely expensive in this size. Best price I get is R2,600 per tyre. That's R13,000 for the lot. Another concern is availability. Not a lot of stock in this size. One dealer told me they stopped making them in 265/60R18, but that might just be because he was trying to sell me something else as he didn't have stock.

Best price on the General Grabber AT3's: R2,000 per tyre. Actually best price is R1,850, but small new shop so I rather stick with the R2,000 option where I know I will have backup if needed.

Question is: As much as I prefer the GY Adventure's, are they really worth the extra R3,000? I would really appreciate some expert advice.

Driving 70% tar, 25% gravel and sand dunes, 5% rocky terrain. Most of my off-road driving is sand dunes when I visit my parents in in Mossel Bay.
    Hi Netler I also need a new set of tyres.Also interested in GY adventure.May I ask you where did you get the price for the 265/60/18.Here where I am from the we talk about 3.3k per tyre for that size.

In Rustenburg. Tyre prices are very competitive here. That is the reason why I am fitting myself and not through the dealer I bought it from. They can't get near my prices. Where are you from? If it is economical for you to fit here I can send you the contact details.

The R2600 includes fitment,balancing and wheel alignment

Not sure if I'll be able to answer your question whether it's worth the extra bucks, but after about 15 000km so far on tar, plenty gravel, a few dune trips, river trips and 2 trips into Damaraland: I can't fault them at all - very good performance so far, good grip and no punctures.
    Last edited by Sniper; 2018/09/12 at 09:45 AM.
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Not sure if I'll be able to answer your question whether it's worth the extra bucks, but after about 15 000km so far on tar, plenty gravel, a few dune trips, river trips and 2 trips into Damaraland: I can't fault them at all - very good performance so far, good grip and no punctures.
    Thanks Sniper. That's the thing. I know the GY Adventure is an excellent tyre. I have also read very good reviews on the At3. Just can't find feedback from people that has done decent milage on the AT3 yet. Tho impprtant questions is whether there is balancing issues and whether the sidewall on the AT3 is improved compared to the previous General Grabber AT. As far as I know that was the only complaint on them.

For the cost of 3 tanks of fuel over the next 4 years I'd go with what you feel most comfortable fitting. Sounds like the GY tick the boxes.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

I have no personal experience with either of these tyres, only what I have heard from my brother, he was running Goodyear AT/SA on his Ranger, and now has the Adventures, he rates the Adventures better, and he has the General Grabber AT3 on his Jeep, he says the Generals definitely have more traction in all scenarios he has driven with them, but, they wear QUICKLY and are noisier than the Goodyears
    Last edited by Chadvdw67; 2018/09/12 at 11:20 AM.

a friend has general grabbers on his bakkie for a couple of years now.
    no complaints as far as I know.
    I have driven it off road and it seemed to do the job.

Thanks for all the info so far.

In Rustenburg. Tyre prices are very competitive here. That is the reason why I am fitting myself and not through the dealer I bought it from. They can't get near my prices. Where are you from? If it is economical for you to fit here I can send you the contact details.
    No I do not think so. I am a Valie.Diesel ain't cheap anymore.Ouch maybe a visit to one family member and the Piesangkloof trail can be done for motivation.LOL

Sounds gr8. Let me know and I'll join you at Piesangskloof. ;-)

Sounds gr8. Let me know and I'll join you at Piesangskloof. ;-)
    Sounds great.Will let you know.

I caved. Went to the fitment center this morning 100% convinced I am buying the General Grabbers. While waiting to be delivered from the other branch, the owner gave another R100 off per tyre on the GoodYears. Said he knows the Adventures are the best and want me to fit them. As far as I know I got the best prices in SA. Size 165/60R18. R12,500 for 5 tyres incl fitment, nitrogen and wheel alignment. Watched as they did the balancing. All 5 tyres were very easy to balance. In fact, two was close to balanced without any weights.

There was a question in a previous post regarding the 18" that doesn't have the Kevlar branding on the side. Saw the same on my tyres so we phoned the GoodYear rep from the shop. For all that's interested. The 18" does have Kevlar. The 18" is not manufactured in SA like the rest. It is imported. The country they are made in doesn't have the same brand Kevlar that is patented with the GoodYear tyre and therefore they cannot brand the tyre. I was however assured the quality and specification of the Kevlar used is exactly the same. That is also the reason why the 18" is so much more expensive than the rest.

Will give feedback on the tyres in the GoodYear Adventure post after I have driven them a while. From the short drive home I can say they are extremely quiet. Thanks again for everyone's advice.

I caved. Went to the fitment center this morning 100% convinced I am buying the General Grabbers. While waiting to be delivered from the other branch, the owner gave another R100 off per tyre on the GoodYears. Said he knows the Adventures are the best and want me to fit them. As far as I know I got the best prices in SA. Size 165/60R18. R12,500 for 5 tyres incl fitment, nitrogen and wheel alignment. Watched as they did the balancing. All 5 tyres were very easy to balance. In fact, two was close to balanced without any weights.

There was a question in a previous post regarding the 18" that doesn't have the Kevlar branding on the side. Saw the same on my tyres so we phoned the GoodYear rep from the shop. For all that's interested. The 18" does have Kevlar. The 18" is not manufactured in SA like the rest. It is imported. The country they are made in doesn't have the same brand Kevlar that is patented with the GoodYear tyre and therefore they cannot brand the tyre. I was however assured the quality and specification of the Kevlar used is exactly the same. That is also the reason why the 18" is so much more expensive than the rest.

Will give feedback on the tyres in the GoodYear Adventure post after I have driven them a while. From the short drive home I can say they are extremely quiet. Thanks again for everyone's advice.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Now post some photos please!!!!
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

That price is super cheap. For the Adventure 265/60 R18 in Nelspruit it's R3400 per tyre.
    BTW I also have Grabbers AT3 which I really rate. Quiet and good grip.
    What's the name of your dealer? I will go via Rustenburg next trip to the big smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Now post some photos please!!!!
    Here they are. Now just need decent rock sliders and I am ready to go. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180915_075718.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	502257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180915_075705.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	502258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180915_075642.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	502259

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Netler For This Useful Post:

Nys

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    That price is super cheap. For the Adventure 265/60 R18 in Nelspruit it's R3400 per tyre.
    BTW I also have Grabbers AT3 which I really rate. Quiet and good grip.
    What's the name of your dealer? I will go via Rustenburg next trip to the big smoke.
    Shop:
    Tyre Plus Car Service
    Greystone Crossing, 111 Kloof Rd
    Tel: 0105957609
    Speak to Muhammed

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Netler For This Useful Post: