Aftermarket Park Distance Control

Default Aftermarket Park Distance Control

Hey guys,

Just wanted to hear people thoughts. This isnt for my 4x4, but could apply. We just brought a Honda Accord (very lekka sedan, so far) but one of the bells and whistles it didnt come with is PDC.

My wife is driving the car and wants PDC. Has anyone tried DIY with a kit? Do they actually work (consistently beep louder as you approach an obstacle).

I am pretty comfortable with the electronics side (just hook power into reverse light), mount under backboard next to speakers etc.

This is the cheapie that I saw:

https://www.takealot.com/park-distan...r/PLID45153389

Thoughts/Alternatives?

TIA

Default Re: Aftermarket Park Distance Control

Hi, installed one without display on lwb Pajero about 5 years ago works fine , had to replace beeper after a year or two , of course be sure of sensor positions before drilling.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to leoridge For This Useful Post:

Will a reverse camera not work out easier in the long run? Depending on the vehicle the camera can be very easy to install to the rearview mirror. Not cheaper... but not too much more...
    Last edited by MarcR; 2018/09/11 at 11:37 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Will a reverse camera not work out easier in the long run? Depending on the vehicle the camera can be very easy to install to the rearview mirror. Not cheaper... but not too much more...
    I will investigate this - my idea with the PDC was that I didnt need to run any cables to the front of the car (just being lazy!).

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    I second that. In terms of safety (and personally having almost reversed over my todler son many moons ago ) I reckon reverse cameras should be legislated standard equipment on every car sold. If your wife's car has a display in the front it may have a input slot for a video feed. Some cameras also work to a cellphone or tablet via Bluetooth.

Had a basic one fitted to my Isuzu many moons ago. Worked like a charm. Just be careful of the really cheap Chinese s...tuff!
    Got it from these guys: http://pfk.co.za/autowatch-vss
    Because sometimes life happens!

I have installed a PDC on my Hilux. Worked well enough !!

I have also installed aftermarket reverse camera .... it works good - in the correct lighting ! Either too dark, or into the sun and it does not help much. Most new cameras point down, to help with the lighting ...

Speak to your local fitment centre and see what is campatible with your car .... Fitting an aftermarket camera to a Jetta is easy and affordable, and works with the fully integrated system.

No single correct answer. Your vehicle may well guide you towards the best solution for you ....

Just an update for anyone interested.

I went with the cheapie PDC from Takealot for +-R250 and installed it myself. Kit comes with a holesaw for the bumper. I did not even have to remove the bumper. Took me less than 2 hours to install, all told.

Has been working for a few months with no complaints from SWAMBO, she is very happy with it since the Honda Accord is much bigger than her previous car.

I think next vehicle I do this for, I will try the reverse camera option!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin4x4 For This Useful Post:

I have bought the combination, but now have to get it professionally installed not to affect the warranty on the Ranger.
    https://www.autostyle.co.za/rearview...ce-screen.html
    Danie Gerryts
    NSRI Station 31

2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T
    2016 Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi 4x4 A/T Supercab